Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

On 12/07/2023 at 05:13, KMitch said:

Great...  Bailey 2.0 but with the height of Tommy Elphick...  Can't wait...  /s

I just saw this on reddit: 

Fun fact: his 9G 9A final season at Bayer Leverkusen before signing for Villa is the exact same output as Leon Bailey's 9G 9A final season at Bayer Leverkusen before signing for Villa

I haven't seen Diaby at all so I can't comment. At the very least he's extra depth and motivation for everyone to step up.

Edited by Daulmakan

5 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

I haven't seen Diaby at all so I can't comment. At the very least he's extra depth and motivation for everyone to step up.

Once again crucially ignores the fact that Bailey when he can sprint has been devastatingly effective at times for us. It's just he can't trust his hamstrings atm so rarely uses his pace the way we know he can. 

1 hour ago, Daulmakan said:

I've done a stats comparison of Bailey's final season in the Bundesliga and Diaby last season here and while there are similarities a few interesting things jump out: Diaby had a higher xG + xA. He attempted more progressive passes. His pass completion was higher (especially longer passes) Also he got a higher percentage of his shots on target.

https://fbref.com/tiny/ud3yj

9G + 9A is also Bailey's best season whereas Diaby has previously managed 13G + 12A.

I'd add to that although I've only watched highlights of Diaby, from the eye test he just looks a better player.

And like you say hopefully the competition for places raises everybody's level too.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daulmakan said:

Fun fact. Bamford was one of the best strikers in the Premier League without crowds! 

The thing is I don’t even think Bailey has been that bad. He’s just been unlucky with injuries.

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Once again crucially ignores the fact that Bailey when he can sprint has been devastatingly effective at times for us. It's just he can't trust his hamstrings atm so rarely uses his pace the way we know he can. 

Regardless of whether he trusts his body or not, I think Bailey can run with the ball when there's space to run into, but struggles to dribble in tight spaces. From what I've seen of Diaby he looks much better at carrying the ball at pace no matter where he is on the pitch.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Regardless of whether he trusts his body or not, I think Bailey can run with the ball when there's space to run into, but struggles to dribble in tight spaces. From what I've seen of Diaby he looks much better at carrying the ball at pace no matter where he is on the pitch.

I think part of the problem was that he was trying to do too much.  I know one (or two) swallows doth not a summer make - but towards the end of last season I thought Bailey was starting to drive into the box better and then lay the ball back into the middle of the area for arriving midfielders to slot home.  I think he'll do well (mainly off the bench) this season when opposition defenders are tiring and hopefully he has a good spell of time injury free.

• Like 3

This one has been ringing in my ears since last night, perhaps we will be singing it at Villa Park this season? 

Modern Romance - Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey / Moose On The Loose (Disco Mix) (1981)  (Maxi 45T) - YouTube 

"Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey, Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey,
Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey, To Help Me Through The Day":D

What I do know is:

Animated GIF - Imgflip

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villan95 said:

I'd add to that although I've only watched highlights of Diaby, from the eye test he just looks a better player

My concern on his highlights videos is they often have him beating a man, doing some amazing skill, playing a pass… and then cut to the next highlight, so you can tell the pass didn’t end up where it was meant to go! But I try not to judge a player on highlights vids - for example maybe his off the ball work is way better than Bailey, I couldn’t tell you as I’ve never watched him play a full game. I also don’t think at the price quoted (versus if he was £50m) he needs to be a worldbeater - if he’s only actually at the level of Bailey, Buendia etc but it means when we make a sub we have one of them coming on vs Traore or Duran, that’s squad improvement. 

YouTube Highlight vids..... Aleksander Tonev.

On a vaguely connected sidenote, I hate those vids which claims to have all the goals from "the game" only to cut to the goal about 1 second before the ball hits the back of the net. Rant over.

Â