Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Just thinking ......I'm Mcginns interview he was ask about him being an injury doubt, he replied with there is a few in the team today carrying injuries or knocks, maybe Diaby is one of those carrying something 🤔

• Like 1

Hopefully he just needs time to acclimatize to our league.
During that time we were rumored to sign either Diaby or Doku , always felt Diaby was the more complete player & can play striker too, unlike Doku.

Hopefully he just needs time to acclimatize to our league, from Germany. 

At the back of my mind there’s always lurk this worrying name : Pepe

Thought he was brilliant for us until a few weeks ago. Nothing unusual with that, just a dip in form.

When he’s on form, he’s some player. Much better than I’d even hoped.

He’ll find his form again

• Like 1

Spurs high press meant the balls into him were to high  and it meant him winning a physical battle with their defenders and this isn't to his strengths. Think Zaniolo would have been more affective as the game unfolded like it did. Bailey did well as his replacement but I think Tielemans made the difference as he picked lose balls up in front of their defenders and he's so clever on the ball in that position he just creates time and space. 

Think Diaby and Tielemans together could be very affective add Bailey and Watkins into the mix and Tielemans has a range of targets to find in the final 3rd. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

At the back of my mind there’s always lurk this worrying name : Pepe

Nah, he's already been more effective than Pepe ever was at Arsenal.

He's going through a dip in form, not unexpected considering he has to acclimatise to the league. 

I suspect it's partly that he was scoring week in week out in Germany and swapping to a league where he's not getting the time and space to do that has knocked his confidence a bit. He'll be back and on fire again before too long

15 hours ago, Spoony said:

Really off the boil right now. Might be time for Bailey to have a stint. We know he’s quality, first season, etc. might just be time for a rest and to fight for his place 

They’re playing two different positions though. I’d have liked to see tielemans come on and Diaby allowed to go out wide yesterday 

Edited by IrishVilla10

I think he needs to come to terms with the requirements of the Premier League.....space is hard to come by, in this league, and contact is regular.....he has to work on this.

I think he needs a rest from the first team, and work on a few things behind the scenes.....his contribution is a bit sparse at present, and gets negated, too easily.

He is not a presser and neither is Ollie( all the time)....both leave defenders free to launch long balls, and not close them down or disrupt them....Ollie does spasmodically.....so defending from the front is questionable.

I like Moussa, but he is not in the groove, right now....He needs to settle in.

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

Maybe I'm being over harsh but don't you think he's a little frustrating when he's level or ahead of the last man and he keeps cutting back. 

1000%.  With his pace you'd love to see him take on defenders...  he almost never tries to beat someone 1 on 1, which I find shocking.  

When it comes to Diaby, I think that I have used the phrase "I think that ..." so many times in the last 14 months and been proven to be utterly full of it that I'll just kindly bow out of any big pronouncements. He's not been getting loads of goals, but I never thought he was hired for his goals as much as being partner to our other forwards. I see him as a bright asset capable of bringing sparkle to the right set-up against the right opposition, an extra gleaming blade in our collection of knives. I can't wait to see how he develops and is developed in the next year. I wouldn't read too much into his subbing vs. Spurs. It was a slightly weird set-up for the first half and there was that unsettled quality we've seen a few times this year squad-wide in certain matches. Glad Emery got it right at the half.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

23 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he needs to come to terms with the requirements of the Premier League.....space is hard to come by, in this league, and contact is regular.....he has to work on this.

I think he needs a rest from the first team, and work on a few things behind the scenes.....his contribution is a bit sparse at present, and gets negated, too easily.

He is not a presser and neither is Ollie( all the time)....both leave defenders free to launch long balls, and not close them down or disrupt them....Ollie does spasmodically.....so defending from the front is questionable.

I like Moussa, but he is not in the groove, right now....He needs to settle in.

Id rather see him play his way out of bad form. Baileys impact seems better off the bench in the second half when theres more space but guess you could swap it around and maybe have Diaby coming off the bench. We have 8 games in December so we are going to have to rotate things a bit to keep everybody fresh anyway. 

Him being out of form is actually a good thing for me.

For long how have we been totally reliant on one player? And if that player either doesn't perform, or gets injured, we're screwed?

Diaby has a stinker? Who cares! Tielemans slots in and gets the assist for the winner. Tielemans isn't available, tweak the system, bring Zaniolo in.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Id rather see him play his way out of bad form. Baileys impact seems better off the bench in the second half when theres more space but guess you could swap it around and maybe have Diaby coming off the bench. We have 8 games in December so we are going to have to rotate things a bit to keep everybody fresh anyway. 

Yeah..I see the point of that.....but I also see the merit of playing Tielemans too, who for me is having a huge effect on proceedings, and being industious in his involvement...I'm not suggesting like for like...but I think YT deserves a place in the firat 11.

I have no doubt, in Diaby's talent....but I think settling in to the Premier League, with its intensity, can need some getting used to.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

1000%.  With his pace you'd love to see him take on defenders...  he almost never tries to beat someone 1 on 1, which I find shocking.  

He did, when he first arrived....................?

He's not a classic winger in squaring up his man and then beating him with a move and putting in a cross or shot.

Much more of a roaming wide forward. I think Unai sold him on the idea of playing as a number 10/second striker but he would benefit from some interplay with Bailey so he's allowed to drift wide on occasion.

As others have commented, he is struggling a bit with the physicality and center backs barging into his back to win the ball. A bit like Ashley Young Mk 1, he's really good facing forward but his effectiveness isn't there with his back to goal compared to some of the others who have played that second striker position like Buendia, McGinn, and Tielemans.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

I mentioned in the Fulham post match thread that I though Diaby had been poor for a while.  He got a few goals and assists early in the season but even then I can't say I thought he was playing that well overall.  I know people will shout that opinion down, but I stick by it, to me he's not looked anything like a £40-50 million player since September at least.  

Â