Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

4 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

The gaslamp concept is interesting, though I feel it needs to look more like a gaslamp if we were to go down that route, as it would then be more unique a shape, at the moment it's too similar to a shield I feel.

I understand the gaslamp part of our history, but it seems a very recent thing, I'd been supporting Villa for 20+ years before it came to my attention, and many Villa fans still seem to not be aware of it, so anyone outside of our support would have no idea at all what it means.

However, it is an interesting shape and bit of history that could absolutely be used as part of a brand, it's the kind of thing I would expect Heck to be looking at judging by how he delved into the 76ers history for their branding.

Brilliant...

Especially as an 150 anniversary edition imo.

Claret and gold is also an outstanding and classy combo.

I reckon shoehorning Blue onto the crests also potentially affect them somewhat.

We can keep the kits the same, but i love the striking simplicity with the crest.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Colour would be the next step in the design process, obviously, it already works in one colour that you could easily switch around depending upon the background it will sit on. A monotone logo like that allows you to go with any colour if you want to stray from the traditional for a mad 3rd kit or something.

There are a few options for a full-colour version, I'll try and knock up a few examples if I get a chance. I'm a little torn on the colour choices though, I'd like the lion to be the gold colour as that makes the most sense, but then you'd have to have it on a claret/dark background, which makes it more difficult to work blue into the design. A blue background with a claret lion is a possibility that we've used previously.

• Like 1

With that type of crest, I don't think it's an either/or on the colour scheme - there's no reason why people wouldn't see both of those are the same crest with variants - and as @Teale's 'tache explained on the previous version, no reason why the lion couldn't be used on its own or that the banner couldnt' be seperated out and used for a vairety of purposes. 

I think most of the crests that are likely to be considered will have that flexibility (as does the half season wonder we're partly using at the moment) and I'm keen to see what it is that Heck thinks he can bring that will add that little bit of extra "pop" that isn't already present in a pretty straightforward rendition of any sort of modern crest/shield/badge that's presented. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With that type of crest, I don't think it's an either/or on the colour scheme - there's no reason why people wouldn't see both of those are the same crest with variants - and as @Teale's 'tache explained on the previous version, no reason why the lion couldn't be used on its own or that the banner couldnt' be seperated out and used for a vairety of purposes. 

I think most of the crests that are likely to be considered will have that flexibility (as does the half season wonder we're partly using at the moment) and I'm keen to see what it is that Heck thinks he can bring that will add that little bit of extra "pop" that isn't already present in a pretty straightforward rendition of any sort of modern crest/shield/badge that's presented. 

Absolutely, with regard to the colours and different elements, they are all very flexible in how they can be used, however, a good brand is about consistency and that is easier to achieve if you try to limit yourself to only a handful of variations. 

I would say the crest we have now is less flexible, you can take the lion out, but the lion with the star off-center doesn't look great on its own, and you could maybe take the text out, but as it's on a circular path it will look different when put on a straight path so you lose a bit of consistency there, and then finally you can use the circle on its own, but it is a generic often used shape and so feels less unique to us.

I think you are right, Heck will be looking for something along the lines of what I have done where there's more flexibility for use across a brand, he's looking to build an entire brand from the ground up and a crest/logo is always going to be the most important part of that, likely one of the reasons why he pulled the plug is he didn't think the new badge gave him enough flexibility to build a solid brand. 

• Like 1

It's noticeable that the 76'ers have two quite distinct crests, one that's a more traditional NBA logo and one that's a little bit like the EU flag with 76'ers written inside the stars - I think he'll produce a small range of things that he can use as a flexible toolkit. In fairness, I think we could have done that by retaining both the gaslamp and round badges from the Dragon Rouge designs.

You get a hint of how they wanted to do that on their website:

https://www.dragonrouge.com/news/why-our-aston-villa-crest-redesign-is-great-for-all-football-fans-eng/

We have been working with English Premier League football club Aston Villa on the evolution of its crest for the end of the current football season, its latest move in looking to deliver against an ambitious growth strategy.

A new crest was successfully chosen following the completion of a public vote amongst Aston Villa fans, an event that marks a significant milestone in the role fans have in influencing decisions and proposed changes made by football clubs governed by The Football Association.

(I don't think the club will be referring to it as "the peoples badge" :) )

It would have been fascinating to see how this reveal event would have looked - I can't think of a better occasion to have done it.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-badge-villa-park-26529744

Aston Villa are planning something special to officially launch their new crest on the final day of the season against Brighton in May.

There's a lot with the previous process that we're encouraged to forget.

• Like 1

Because we've been through a consultation process fairly recently, can they use that data without having to run a second consultation to re-do the design?

I'm assuming they may want to if they can't twist the result to what they want, but if it results say 'must have Aston Villa' and 'must contain a lion' and not much else...I guess they could just run with it.

• Like 1

Yup, that second one has it all. I do think a touch of blue is needed, the one on the previous page, I like it, it looks classy, but it doesn't scream Aston Villa to me without a dash of blue. That's just enough to capture our colours, keeping a good level of contrast, probably the best concept I've seen, absolute love it.

Think the top one ends up being a bit disjointed, the blue background and claret lion doesn't look like it belongs with the banner, and IMO too much blue, it ends up being the dominant colour on the whole badge, whereas it as an accent on the second one seems a bit more fitting in us playing in predominantly claret with blue sleeves.

I'd be delighted if we ended up with something like that. Unique, while still fairly simple and elegant. People can quibble over what style of lion we should have, which way it faces, whether or not we should have a star, but some flavour of that would be brilliant.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agree. It looks really classy with just the gold on claret background, but on a claret shirt I'm not sure that would work, so having some colour in it for that might be the solution whilst keeping the original gold for "brand identity"

17 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

A couple of full-colour options...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent work, I love all of them.

There is obviously a synergy there which could work against different coloured kits if necessary.

The Claret and Gold is a classic look, although I do like the second one (above).

• Like 1

Â