Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

On 12/07/2023 at 13:59, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I've gone back to my diamond design and refined it a little more.

I've added the new lion, and made a few alterations to it to make it more 'rampant', and set it facing in the traditional direction. I don't mind the whole facing forward concept stuff, but to me personally, the lion facing left is just more 'Villa'.

I've also removed the star, for the reasons @NurembergVillan has mentioned frequently, and eloquently.

I've streamlined further by removing '1874', as it wasn't really needed and would have been unreadable at smaller sizes anyway.

Anyway, on with the show...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more, just to show that this design at least is different from the rest of the crests in the Premier League

spacer.png

Feel free to tell me I've got the colours wrong, you only like round badges, it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' in full, not adding a star somehow means I've degraded our entire history, it looks like a stonemasons symbol and it's crap.

I'll not be listening anyway as I really need to get some work done!

@Ingers is this the one you mean?

10 minutes ago, Ingers said:

drrxAez.png

@CarryOnVilla - apologies, I didn't reply yesterday - had to go to bed down here, and 'ran out of replies' - I can only post 5 times a day as I'm a newbie! 

To answer your question - I'd pitch these design to the Villa, - as I think they fit the bill and represent Villa for shirt, media, merchandising, stadium etc.  I'd also pass on the blue AV diamond on claret background with gold lion,  from someone on here previously - Teale's Tash I think - that is a fantastic design, unique for villa designs, has heritage with the old frontage and top of old Trinity Rd fascia vibes, fairly unique (I can only think of Monchengladbach with a diamond shape) and just stands out for Villa, looked good on kit mock up and great design - doesn't say our name, but I don't think it needs to.

@Teale's 'tache - if that was your design, can you repost it please? - I can't locate it in the 240 pages of this thread.  And I hear your point on designers possibly having their hands tied - which may well be the case, Id love to hear the brief they were given!  Apologies if I came across too hard, when they are probably restricted to half a job, to tweak the rubbish we already have, to save costs, and potentially evolve one slow mutation at a time, but its so bad!....

Hang on… is that your Twitter account? 😂

Many of the same designs

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hang on… is that your Twitter account? 😂

Many of the same designs

To be fair that is one of the best I’ve seen of this new load of badges. The round one that we currently have is the best of them all though in my opinion. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Get rid of the star or put it somewhere sensible and that crest is decent and would please most people.  How anyone ever thought the star should be in that place I'll never know. 

• Like 2

@Teale's 'tache yup  - that's the one thanks for reposting! That's a fantastic design, best concept I've seen, and I've been trawling the net! If only Mr Heck....

@Jas10 - no not my account, no twitter for me, as I said in my first post or second - some original designs, but many of my ideas were based on or tweaks of others, I'm not claiming they are all my own, some I've tweaked the geometry, or the colours, or like the one you posted, changed the shield shape and stuck with a winning formula (no star though!) I accidentally got very close when using the Heck shape to do the gold lions ones, then compared it to the colour palette I'd choose - so apologies to primetimeperry, I'm not meaning to take credit for your design - but there's only so many ways to do a Villa shield.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Doubt it. There track record is impressive when given room. We gave them a box 

I've crossed paths with quite a few top folks at design agencies including Interbrand (ones who did the Juve logo), Pentagram , WeLaunch. They are all pretty plugged in. When a design bombs most times it has to do with a very limiting brief or interference from the client's CEO or Marketing Director - who feel "they know better".  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I've crossed paths with quite a few top folks at design agencies including Interbrand (ones who did the Juve logo), Pentagram , WeLaunch. They are all pretty plugged in. When a design bombs most times it has to do with a very limiting brief or interference from the client's CEO or Marketing Director - who feel "they know better".  

In fairness, the round badge design didn't bomb - it was very popular right from the off - just not in all the right places.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ingers said:

@Teale's 'tache yup  - that's the one thanks for reposting! That's a fantastic design, best concept I've seen, and I've been trawling the net! If only Mr Heck....

@Jas10 - no not my account, no twitter for me, as I said in my first post or second - some original designs, but many of my ideas were based on or tweaks of others, I'm not claiming they are all my own, some I've tweaked the geometry, or the colours, or like the one you posted, changed the shield shape and stuck with a winning formula (no star though!) I accidentally got very close when using the Heck shape to do the gold lions ones, then compared it to the colour palette I'd choose - so apologies to primetimeperry, I'm not meaning to take credit for your design - but there's only so many ways to do a Villa shield.

Oh right, guess it’s easy to have similarities with the fairly limited options or alternatives… no probs at all and you’ve come up with some excellent designs.

Personally, I don’t like a/the diamond design… it shrinks the lion and looks weird or too unusual rather than all that appealing but Teale’s standard of work is always top notch…

For me, it’s important for the lion to be prominent, even imposing, or dominant… I see it as our symbol and the sign/icon of our club… see no need for extra/too much text. A clean and fairly simplistic design would seemingly be best.

I’m just so disappointed with what the club have come up with and how they handled this so far… the length of the process and lack of communication/information has worn and tired many of us out by now…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Ingers said:

drrxAez.png

@CarryOnVilla - apologies, I didn't reply yesterday - had to go to bed down here, and 'ran out of replies' - I can only post 5 times a day as I'm a newbie! 

To answer your question - I'd pitch these design to the Villa, - as I think they fit the bill and represent Villa for shirt, media, merchandising, stadium etc.  I'd also pass on the blue AV diamond on claret background with gold lion,  from someone on here previously - Teale's Tash I think - that is a fantastic design, unique for villa designs, has heritage with the old frontage and top of old Trinity Rd fascia vibes, fairly unique (I can only think of Monchengladbach with a diamond shape) and just stands out for Villa, looked good on kit mock up and great design - doesn't say our name, but I don't think it needs to.

@Teale's 'tache - if that was your design, can you repost it please? - I can't locate it in the 240 pages of this thread.  And I hear your point on designers possibly having their hands tied - which may well be the case, Id love to hear the brief they were given!  Apologies if I came across too hard, when they are probably restricted to half a job, to tweak the rubbish we already have, to save costs, and potentially evolve one slow mutation at a time, but its so bad!....

Middle one here is nice, should be enough blue to satisfy most, good idea with the top banner.

I'd like to see that colour scheme on a 1957 style crest.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

To be fair that is one of the best I’ve seen of this new load of badges. The round one that we currently have is the best of them all though in my opinion. 

By now, I would have no issue with the round one (although I prefer a gold lion) as long as the lion faced the correct/original way! It’s so awkward on the shirt and will never look correct to me… always thought it was a stupid and unnecessary decision… obviously based on or took inspiration from our original round badge (when we won in ‘82) so why mess with it to that extent??

But, none of those things are going to happen. The round badge is dead… which is a shame really as it is so associated with what has and will be a brilliant and memorable season…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Middle one here is nice, should be enough blue to satisfy most, good idea with the top banner.

Agree… I think it has the elements to appeal and appease most of us…

maybe the best compromise.

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Get rid of the star or put it somewhere sensible and that crest is decent and would please most people.  How anyone ever thought the star should be in that place I'll never know. 

It’s basically an altered or improved version of the initial “leaked” or trademarked design that had the plain yellow lion and stupid drop shadow.

What’s even more annoying, as well as sticking with yellow on blue, is having 1874 in white text on a pale blue background?

Are these guys idiotic, moronic, stupid, clueless or what??

I hate it, it’s so crap and cheap and actually inferior to the original:

spacer.png

The colours are horrid, a messed up scheme or theme.

At least the original had some vibrant claret and the AVFC is actually better looking than what they’ve done there which feels strange to say.

The best way to improve on the original crest was just to sort the colours out! So bleeding obvious!

spacer.png

The claret is nice here… there’s no need to darken it and add MORE WHITE!

Easy, quick and vast improvement.

What they’ve come up with is lazier and worse than either of these.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

On 23/04/2024 at 16:19, rodders129 said:

They could play with a turd on the shirt for all I care, just keep winning lads

Bloose beat us to that badge my man. 

Who would buy a Villa shirt or any Villa gear with a turd on it??? 😂

A classy and appropriate badge would make a lot of difference and improve appeal and sales… especially with the expected and significant improvements in merch with Adidas on board… do one Castore…

It’s nice to be represented properly in all forms of media too…

Why wouldn’t we want a crest/badge we can be proud of and actually like??

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Seeing both lions together, makes think I like the newer one more, it just scales better…

Defintely does. That's why we paid Dragon Rouge a fortune to design it.

• Like 1

The Dragon Rouge designed lion works great as  a stand alone or within a crest. It works great digitally and on the shirt. It's also claret on a blue background, representing our colours!

But we'll end up with the Lerner evolved yellow drop shadow thing that may or may not be more intricate on the shirt.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

I assume the brief was to keep the old lion (due to decades or familiarity and ease of reusing merchandise/labels/etc), so we can't use the new lion.

It was also presumably to incorporate our full name in place of AVFC, keeping the star and adding the year.

And I'm guessing the final requirement was that it must have the same core colour arrangement to retain the sense of familiarity and association with our recent past.

Freedom to change the shield shape, but it has to be a shield.

It leaves little room to improve it. If the brief also said the yellow must be the same yellow then there was never any hope and whoever set the brief should be fired.

But assume there was room to play around with the shade of yellow, then they could easily have made it darker, and kept the Aston Villa text at the top and it would be miles better than what was leaked.

I really don't understand how they came up with what is so fundamentally flawed and brings back all the issues that we had with it that caused it to be replaced in the first place.

If someone wanted to offer a revision using my guidelines above (but not keeping the same yellow) I'd be intrigued to see how good a designer could make it look. 

(Also, the succes we've had with the new lion should mean we are glad to be associated with it and should now take precedence, but for now assume its going the way of the dodo)

Edited by MrBlack
Typos...always typos
  • Thanks 1

Â