Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

My opinion on the badge is shit.

Factually, it consists of design elements that are shit.

One may have an opinion that the badge looks good despite that, but there are multiple elements that are objectively shit. That's not an opinion.

Your opinion isn’t shit mate, the badge is 😁

I’d love to buy some lovely Villa Adidas gear (without any stupid, especially gambling, sponsors on it) but not if it’s ruined by an ugly and crappy badge.

Think it’s something to consider… a classy badge will make club merch even more aesthetically appealing and attractive… selling that stuff is what we want right? Although I realise a lot of fans will spend on this stuff regardless, but not everyone. Revenue streams?

I would like us to be represented by a quality badge that represents the club well in all forms of media tbh…

But… I am also sick of all this and there is a part of me that just wants it over and done with too…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t hate Heck or have a strong opinion on him yet but… he’s responsible for the whole rebrand so… if it’s crap and not completed properly or according to the rules, then he deserves criticism.

I’m happy that he is working on better deals for the club and improving the commercial/financial side… maybe it’s the ruthless kind of approach we have needed for so long. And he will get the credit for that.

Many of his decisions are likely to upset many of us fans but as long as they benefit us long term… we might be better off holding off on complaining too much… I think they will have to be judged individually…

I have to admit that I’ve gotten used to the round badge, still wish the lion was facing the way that it should instead of the awkward position it’s in and how weird it looks on the shirt…

Yellow on light blue is simply a crime… there is no reason to stick with that.

Fairly keen on the detailed lion version but… I don’t know what to expect at this point… I’m tired 😆

• Like 1

At this point…this is probably the best we can hope for… but I’m afraid that what we are going to get is the plain lion with stupid drop shadow…

13 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Aston Villa summer tour 2004

There's 3 different representations of our visual brand on this picture alone, and none of them will be our badge next season. #OnBrand

Also, the AV150 logo is supposed to have a blue border.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

The premier league has exploded in terms of global reach and popularity since the Lerner era badge and to international fans and brands it is synonymous with AVFC. The new NSWE era badge is an evolution of that design - I’m sure someone in marketing and advertising can sum up better than I ever could why they’ve chosen to do this rather than a full new design.

They'd be making up some absolute wank, because the decision was made in the accounting department.

There's no way we ended up with what we did based on a pure and open process. I'm 99% certain they decided that it would be too expensive to replace the existing lion throughout every aspect of our branding, so they decided to do a stop gap that gave us a "new badge" with a couple of the longstanding bugbears "solved" but without us having to replace lion silhouettes all over Villa Park and beyond.

I'm hoping this flops hard enough that we do a proper rebranding process within the next few years. It's frustrating that some much smaller clubs have managed to do this successfully and we keep stuffing it up.

• Like 1

I actually find it staggering that people think the branding issue has been well handled and not sure how it can be reconciled with the argument that 'we need this because it will generate revenue and fans just don't understand'. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

At this point…this is probably the best we can hope for… but I’m afraid that what we are going to get is the plain lion with stupid drop shadow…

I still don't love this version, but it is a marked improvement.

The confusing thing is though, someone at the club must have given our new partner the new badge to work with, and it wasn't this version, which makes me think the drop shadow version is going to be front and centre

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I still don't love this version, but it is a marked improvement.

The confusing thing is though, someone at the club must have given our new partner the new badge to work with, and it wasn't this version, which makes me think the drop shadow version is going to be front and centre

As things stand there is confusion because of all our badges, two official ones this year FFS!

Why would they then go and have two versions of the new badge? Like, that makes no sense. Oh the drop shadow is a representation of the actual lion- that will just confuse things further?

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

As things stand there is confusion because of all our badges, two official ones this year FFS!

Why would they then go and have two versions of the new badge? Like, that makes no sense. Oh the drop shadow is a representation of the actual lion- that will just confuse things further?

I think the theory at the time was that the dropshadow might represent some 3d visuals/embossing on the actual badge and wasn't verbatim what would be on the shirt and our branding, and this was somewhat reinforced by the version with the more detailed lion .

That doesn't line up with our new sponsor getting their hands on the dropshadow version though, they're not going to be grabbing random images from the trademark office or VT

One thing is for sure, this will all be cleared up when the club make an announcement in...when was it, January?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

And another version (look at the bag bottom right)

Peter McParland.

If I could choose out of any official use of any of our badges, it be this one in the bottom right. But the lion flipped (obvs)

To me, it ticks several boxes

clean, simple and legible 👍

looks like it’s been around forever (even tho it hasn’t) 👍

can scale and still be recognisable 👍

can be simplified and expanded for what ever the needs are 👍

no extra faff like stars, dates or “F.C.” 👍

Just nice rampant lion and Aston Villa 

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It makes plenty of sense, lots of brands have multiple variations of the same logo for various use cases. It's not a separate badge just a variation of. In this instance the detailed one seems to exist simply for protecting the trademark after that render with the gold lion appeared, I don't expect the detailed one to be used much because there aren't many use cases for it.

Also, remember none of these have been officially released, just trademarked, it's not like we are going around chucking 4/5 different crest on all of our branding. In fact, we've been very consistent in using the Lerner crest for everything apart from the kits and training gear, which is what we were told would happen. The 150 marque is being used as a marque should be, what we have control of, we have by and large controlled, but we can't control what others do so easily, at least not until we have just one crest as part of our brand that has had time to bed in.

I'm no fan of the new design, or the communication/process of it. In my opinion it isn't even the final form of whatever Heck and his team envisage the crest to finally be, it's just an evolution from the Lerner crest in the direction of that final form. It's a brand evolution rather than a revolution.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the theory at the time was that the dropshadow might represent some 3d visuals/embossing on the actual badge and wasn't verbatim what would be on the shirt and our branding, and this was somewhat reinforced by the version with the more detailed lion .

That doesn't line up with our new sponsor getting their hands on the dropshadow version though, they're not going to be grabbing random images from the trademark office or VT

One thing is for sure, this will all be cleared up when the club make an announcement in...when was it, January?

Yeah, next January, when next season's kit becomes available.

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

Aston Villa summer tour 2004

There's 3 different representations of our visual brand on this picture alone, and none of them will be our badge next season. #OnBrand

I believe this will be our first match vs a Mexican side, no?  Did they publish this thinking Club America is in MLS?

Edited by maqroll

Â