Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The questionnaire has worried me.

It sounded like the one we did when Lerner changed the badge.

Do you want a star? Do you want a lion? Do you want a shield? etc

So they were left with a list of thing the fans supposedly want, chucked them all together, and ended up with a pile of shit. But went with it without anyone saying "does this ACTUALLY look good?"

Here's an idea, football fans are idiots (me included) and most of us aren't designers. We don't know what looks good. Just **** do it yourself and get us to vote on a few designs to give us the illusion of having input

I have a feelimf that this is just box ticking as they have to do a consultation with fans. Am hoping that Heck and his team have already decided what they want

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I don't recall Villa using that type of gold color anywhere. Yellow works better IMO. I don't like the font either. Look dated. The shape is decent though. I'm ambivalent about using 1884. But I'd love Aston Villa spelled out.

The gold is similar to the gold paint around the ground, car park railings and the lions on the Holte car park. But yeah it’s not been on the badge before. 

Not sure if this post goes here but I think we can discuss it as part of “brand identity”.

I noticed on Sunday that some wording has changed on the Trinity Road stand (inside the stadium). Where it once said “Part of the Pride” it now says “Up the Villa”. Not sure if it’s a bit tacky? Would rather it just say “ Villa Park”. 

I have uploaded an image of what it said previously and where. Centre, just above the first tier:

IMG_0940.thumb.jpeg.9dfd9579f996b55dda040a4d5b0ae8ec.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not sure if this post goes here but I think we can discuss it as part of “brand identity”.

I noticed on Sunday that some wording has changed on the Trinity Road stand (inside the stadium). Where it once said “Part of the Pride” it now says “Up the Villa”. Not sure if it’s a bit tacky? Would rather it just say “ Villa Park”. 

I have uploaded an image of what it said previously and where. Centre, just above the first tier:

IMG_0940.thumb.jpeg.9dfd9579f996b55dda040a4d5b0ae8ec.jpeg

This kind of thing would absolutely fall under brand identity.

I often get 'Brand Documents' or 'Brand Guidelines' at work to follow, and they will contain phrases like this to use in certain situations, these documents can become extremely specific in some cases, including the kind of language to use, the specific space around which each brand component must-have, the colour combinations you can and cannot use, every scenario possible that is acceptable in which to use each component, honestly sometimes they take it too far for my liking, but it all contributes to keeping things consistent provided the guidelines are always followed.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They have stated it’s what the club want and are asking how we feel about that. Pretty sure it will be a shield though. 

Survey feels a bit ‘here we go again’.

FFS, we’ve finally got an excellent badge, the badge I’ve wanted since 2007, and now we’re going to get stuck with some absolute shite Lerner era shield 

The problem with the questions is that I like both a round badge like today, but also the gaslamp version that is made here, not the one the club presented last year. But my answers fail to cover both versions, and if I vote round then, I rule out gaslamp or a lone lion. Much better to have many proposals presented, and come up with views on them.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The thing is outside of a few hardcore Villa fans nobody knows or cares about the gaslamp origin backstory. 

Unfortunately, we are not some sort of Marvel superhero.

Maybe its something the club should work on. Aston Villa Origin Stories

We have more than enough bad guys connected to club to not run out of ideas

21 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

The gas lamp we shown in the last consultation looked like a dart flight. So that needs sorting. In no way did it resemble a gas lamp. 

If I remember correctly and possibly @OutByEaster? might be able to confirm if my recollection is at all accurate, what I think happened is we originally had some interesting ideas early on for the badge. I think idea was going to be let’s try and stand out from the crowd. 

Then we went to the supporters for their opinion and it was basically so overwhelming how much “round badge” was being mentioned that the more interesting designs were scrapped.

As such, my suspicion is from that point on we were always going to have a round badge but we needed an alternative to at least present the appearance of some choice. So if the “gas lamp” looks a bit like an afterthought, my suspicion is that it probably is.

If I have remembered that correctly, I would have liked the club to have stuck to their guns and at least make one or two of their original ideas public. But the popularity of a round badge was a bit too much and maybe they were worried about backlash on it. I don’t think it was handled brilliantly, but at the same time I can see how we got to this point.

I don’t think the round badge will be a strong contender this time. I think the enthusiasm has died down, maybe there’s a bit of buyer’s remorse with it and now we (sort of) have it, people could look at it among the other badges and might feel that “Hey we’re another member of circle club!”

52 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The gold is similar to the gold paint around the ground, car park railings and the lions on the Holte car park. But yeah it’s not been on the badge before. 

Yeah, I don't like it on the kit or badge.

50 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

The gas lamp we shown in the last consultation looked like a dart flight. So that needs sorting. In no way did it resemble a gas lamp. 

If we are going Sheeld/Gaslamp style, @Teale's 'tache concept shape is perfect. Modern AND nod to our roots at the same time.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The thing is outside of a few hardcore Villa fans nobody knows or cares about the gaslamp origin backstory.

Hmm, that's sort of saying that nobody knows or cares about William McGregor, for example, so why bother honouring him in any way. It's an integral part of the story of our club, regardless. You take a way the heart and soul and you're only left with a 'brand'.

• Like 2

Â