Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Additionally, the Club has not seen the anticipated commercial impact of the new crest design, and therefore is taking the opportunity to gather further feedback from fans in the form of a survey that will be issued today.

What do they expect? Its a badge on a shirt lads. 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

And then ignore it?

It's up to the club whether they feel the brand needs a redo, regardless of how long before it was last done. It looks daft but it is what it is, they take it on the chin.

All they have to do is ensure the fans have had meaningful input.

In this case the new badge, in the cold light of day, isn't up to snuff against the rest of the league which was made more clear by a new commercial regime coming in and looking at it with new eyes, so they want to go again.

17 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Additionally, the Club has not seen the anticipated commercial impact of the new crest design, and therefore is taking the opportunity to gather further feedback from fans in the form of a survey that will be issued today.

Also, the badge is kinda sharing the spotlight with the previous badge which I dare say will impede any “commercial impact” it could have - especially as everyone knows that it going to get changed again.

What’s the point in buying that Aston Villa tea mug with that new badge on? It’s going to be out of date in less than a year.

If they don’t like it and think they could do better, they should just say so.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I think telling your fans the new badge isn't going to stay before the new shirt has even gone on sale is a pretty dumb move.

Not to mention that a lot of fans don't like the shirt designs at all, add in sweatgate as another bullet in castore's direction (all be it not affecting replica shirts).

and it's an absolute balls up all round

11 minutes ago, Stevo71 said:

What have they ignored previously? Not having a pop, genuinely curious.

Er the vote on the crest which has lasted 1 year with no brand change online?

Personally I didn't vote for it but the majority did.

If they ask the same questions, they are going to get the same answers. The majority of your regular Villa fans wanted a round badge. They voted for it and the club doesn't like it. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think telling your fans the new badge isn't going to stay before the new shirt has even gone on sale is a pretty dumb move.

Not to mention that a lot of fans don't like the shirt designs at all, add in sweatgate as another bullet in castore's direction (all be it not affecting replica shirts).

Assuming the sales figures are bad, the club can use the poor shirt sales figures for a number of things. And financially, it won't impact them at all as we have a fixed income from Fanatics for our shirt sales.

They can blame castore for producing a below par kit, and escape the contract with them.

They can use it to justify a revision of the badge and the brand.

They can use it in negotiations with our next shirt manufacturer to say " look,  if we get it right, and have a new badge, there's thousands more fans than normal waiting to buy a shirt because they'll want the first outing of our "forever" badge, on a shirt that isn't shit"

Yes, these were all f%#k ups to begin with, but they can spin it fairly positively from here. 

• Like 1

I really dislike the idea of sending out a survey to fans on this.  I get that there is a legal requirement to consult with fans - but most fans (including me) are completely clueless on things like this.  It was the problem with the last badge - fans wanted a badge that looked like the one from 1982-3 for purely nostalgic reasons.  Either the survey will be so generic as to be pointless (other than checking the box that says fans were consulted) OR we'll get a load of people just saying they want something that reminds them of when we were good / when we started supporting Villa.  I'd far rather they either approached Villa fans who actually are in the profession or even just hold a random draw and get a select number of fans (less than 20) involved in a few of the design meetings to explain ideas, concepts and get the views of a few fans or to use as a sounding board on ideas.  That way those fans can shout if they think the club are going down a weird route with the redesign.

Based on everything that happened at the 96ers, I can't imagine that we're going to come up with a rebrand that fundamentally changes everything - and if that is the plan then I don't see how a survey will be sufficient to endorse it.

36 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Are we all agreed that we all just attach @Teale's 'tache designs to the email replies and survey links.. job done

Can we add @Teale's 'tache and @NurembergVillan's phone numbers and just say get these guys in a couple of meetings because they know what they are talking about.  If they like the redesign then I am sure we will too.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Most of which happened before the new guys came in.  I think they've seen all of this (at different times) and done the right thing in terms of saying "sorry guys this new badge and the new kits are ****ing awful, we're pulling the plug and starting from scratch again so that we can give you something better".  Or at least that's what they have said reading between the lions (I mean lines).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can we vote on which way the lion faces this time? 😂

It was too limited and restricted last time, neither design was any good.

I want it to face the same way as the Middlesborough Lion and The Rangers lion and The Scotland Lion so we don't get confused with Chelsea 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Assuming the sales figures are bad, the club can use the poor shirt sales figures for a number of things. And financially, it won't impact them at all as we have a fixed income from Fanatics for our shirt sales.

They can blame castore for producing a below par kit, and escape the contract with them.

They can use it in negotiations with our next shirt manufacturer to say " look,  if we get it right, and have a new badge, there's thousands more fans than normal waiting to buy a shirt because they'll want the first outing of our "forever" badge, on a shirt that isn't shit"

Yes, these were all f%#k ups to begin with, but they can spin it fairly positively from here. 

It can def be rectified, just trying to answer why the commercial benefit was obviously ballsed up.

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And they were all **** ups that were under the old design team's watch.  I find it interesting that we replaced Gerrard so quickly with Emery (and his backroom staff) when our onfield problems became glaringly obvious and that we "invented" a role for an expert in sports marketing / brand development so quickly after a disasterous rebrand and poor shirt design process.  Both look like our owners weren't happy with the situation, investigated better options and then acted quickly to bring in more qualified people to do a (hopefully!) much better job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I wonder how much Money we wasted in the 2022 consultation. 

I wonder will they again ignore this one if they dislike the fan opinion.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

And then ignore it?

Did I miss something? I thought they implemented the crest with the most votes? 

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I wonder how much Money we wasted in the 2022 consultation. 

I wonder will they again ignore this one if they dislike the fan opinion.

They can't dislike what they find out from a survey they create themselves.

If you are a vegetarian and I present you with a question of do you prefer beef or turkey, and you have to pick one, well, that question was put there by design. 

Â