Birmingham v Manchester

Icarium

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Birmingham is bigger, it's less grim, it's less full of itself, Birmingham uni is better, food culture is ace, there's good nightlife with solid options for all sorts of clubs, bars, pubs.

Will he want to drink in town though?

Mate.

Manchester only has a population of 553,000. It boosts its numbers by including Salford. If Brum did the same we could include Solihull. Leeds has a population of close to 800,000, that includes a number of other cities within the Leeds area though ie Bradford. Our population of over 1,000,000 needs no artificial inflation to boost numbers. We are much bigger than those Mancunian upstarts.

Edited by meregreen

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Manchester only has a population of 553,000. It boosts its numbers by including Salford. If Brum did the same we could include Solihull. Leeds has a population of close to 800,000, that includes a number of other cities within the Leeds area though ie Bradford. Our population of over 1,000,000 needs no artificial inflation to boost numbers. We are much bigger than those Mancunian upstarts.

Which city are Trafford and Tameside in? (Neither of those two borough are in what anyone would consider to be a separate town or city to Manchester)

It's like the whole what constitutes Liverpool debate. There are two and a half boroughs that generally constitute Liverpool

Judging where a city starts and stops by what a government decided in 1973 should be a council is in is futile 

Trafford and Tameside add another 450,000 population and take Manchester to a million. That isn't adding the likes of Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan to boost numbers

There are parts of what is obviously Birmingham in other boroughs (Great Barr is in three different boroughs for starters). Is Sutton Coldfield really in Birmingham? For that matter is Chelmsley Wood really in Solihull?

Big cities are much of a muchness really.

As boring as it sounds, your education is the most important thing, so as others have said, pick whichever course/Uni is better for your end goal. 

Whilst I didn’t go to uni myself so can’t really comment from a students point of view, I did work at the University of Birmingham for a couple of years as an Electrician and it is a really beautiful place to be honest. 

Is it definitely the University of Birmingham and not Birmingham University? They are different universities. 

Maybe it’s just tribalism, but from my experience at the UOB, the general consensus was that it was held in much higher regard than Birmingham University. 

Edited by av1

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Is it definitely the University of Birmingham and not Birmingham University? They are different universities. 

Maybe it’s just tribalism, but from my experience at the UOB, the general consensus was that it was held in much higher regard than Birmingham University. 

The other one is called Birmingham City University and surely no self respecting Villa fan is going to apply to go there!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

The other one is called Birmingham City University and surely no self respecting Villa fan is going to apply to go there!

By that logic Aston University is the only choice. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

By that logic Aston University is the only choice. 

Its the highest ranked of the three anyway but it may not offer the course he wants

If it's Shoplifting and Creative Claiming then it will be Birmingham City University he does want after all

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

That must be a troll though? I don’t think any small heath fan has ever got to year 9 let alone Uni. 

By year 11 they’ve all got 6 kids. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Bicks addresses this well, but on the point in bold, not really. there's about 2 miles from the centre of manchester city to the centre of Salford. Solihull is 10 miles away! The two cities are closer than Edgbaston is to Birmingham city centre 

• Like 1

Depending on how you’re off financially, will accommodation be an issue?

Might be worth checking that out, I know someone that had to rule out Manchester as an option because of accommodation costs.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bicks addresses this well, but on the point in bold, not really. there's about 2 miles from the centre of manchester city to the centre of Salford. Solihull is 10 miles away! The two cities are closer than Edgbaston is to Birmingham city centre 

It's not even close to being 2 miles away, it's less than a mile from Deansgate

I'm not even convinced Salford actually has what anyone would look at and cay it was the city centre such is its proximity to Manchester City Centre.

Also amusing is the idea expressed in this very thread that the media focuses on Manchester when in fact Media City is in Salford not Manchester but Salford can't be considered to be Manchester for the purpose of other arguments

• Like 1

The thing is Birmingham has basically become the major part of the West Midlands conurbation. You can travel very large distances and never leave urban sprawl but cross between multiple council districts, through various cities, etc etc. If you did do 'Greater Birmingham' ala the hateful Mancs, you would consume other towns, cities etc. Sutton for instance can pretend it isn't part of Birmingham as much as it likes but in reality it's a bit of a very big city, like London has its buroughs that are essentially towns in their own right but, guess what, they're still part of London. Manchester has just got acceptance of that from the small cities it's consumed. Birmingham won't get that, partly because of the optics and partly because 'Greater Birmingham' is **** enormous. Unwieldy so. Walsall isn't going to accept it's basically Greater Birmingham, nor is West Brom, etc etc... But really they are. But it doesn't happen.

But anyway the important thing too remember is **** Manchester.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Solihull is further away but if there wasn't a sign up telling you that you were leaving Birmingham, you wouldn't have a clue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Solihull is further away but if there wasn't a sign up telling you that you were leaving Birmingham, you wouldn't have a clue.

The same is true of Wolverhampton. It isn’t part of Birmingham. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

🤣

I actually went there in the early to mid 90s, but then it was called 'University of Central England ' and was located in Perry Barr. 

19 minutes ago, Jon said:

🤣

I actually went there in the early to mid 90s, but then it was called 'University of Central England ' and was located in Perry Barr. 

Was that the old Birmingham Poly? 

• Like 2

You must remember that in Manchester it rains - a lot. Like a lot a lot. Endlessly. 

I went to school there and it never stops pouring. It can be a beautiful sunny day and you still need to have an umbrella because you can guarantee it's going to piss it down. You don't get as much in the W. Mids - maybe to do with the topography?

Birmingham is great around the canals etc. and it has Villa. There really is no competition.

• Like 1

Â