Birmingham v Manchester

Icarium

Hi All,

Through my work I may get an opportunity to study in the UK for 12 months. There are 2 similar courses I am interested in, one is through University of Birmingham and the other through the University of Manchester.

While Birmingham obviously grabbed my attention as a Villa fan, I wanted to get a feel for the reputation of both universities from people in country and anything else worth knowing,  as far as living in each city, to help the decision making process.

Thanks in advance

Probably not the best forum to get a neutral opinion on that 😁

Speak to anyone outside Birmingham though and they'll tell you Manchester is Brilliant and Birmingham is a shit hole. This is an opinion built up by years of a determined campaign by Manchester to be considered a cool city not helped by the self deprecating attitude of Bummies. Mancs will bang on constantly that Manchester is the centre of the universe. Brummie will more likely agree that Birmingham is indeed a bit crap. 

A lot of this is also because Birmingham was becoming so successful in the 60s that London actively held it back to stop any genuine competition to it. 

Not helped by Manchester having more successful football teams and more bands who have made it recently. 

Both cities are undergoing massive amounts of redevelopment, I'm talking wholesale change, a skyline which is a forest of cranes. Manchester is a little ahead because they started earlier, probably due to the bomb which resulted in a lot of inward in investment. I also think Brum (despite the forest of cranes) has not really hit top gear yet because a lot of investors will wait till HS2 is nearer before the real big projects kick off. 

As far as Universities are concerned I believe Birmingham just about edges Manchester but there's not much in it. 

The truth is both cities are pretty similar but Manchester has the cool tag and Brum the shit hole tag. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Choose the University that does the best course for you, choosing a University to study at for a year by the better city is the wrong way round.

This. Also, for an Australian, they're practically next door to each other.

There's not a huge amount in either city you won't be able to do in the other. Except for the Villa, but your chances of getting tickets are pretty bloody slim, and if you can, an hour and a half on the train isn't going to be much of an obstacle I imagine.

As above, there's no real wrong choice assuming all things being more or less equal with the course on offer.  I don't live in either, but having been to both as a visitor, my impressions is both are just big cities with great many segments that could be copied and pasted and swapped into any big city without anyone noticing. That said, I always enjoy going to for walks along the canal in brum, always plenty of nice pubs around.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

having been to both extensively  , my advice would be pick a different course and move to Surrey

You're welcome :) 

Would be good advice if the course was how not to invest ;) 

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This. Also, for an Australian, they're practically next door to each other.

There's not a huge amount in either city you won't be able to do in the other. Except for the Villa, but your chances of getting tickets are pretty bloody slim, and if you can, an hour and a half on the train isn't going to be much of an obstacle I imagine.

Nah if he gets a membership he'd be able to attend most home games before the North Stand gets knocked down (which seems to be delayed),

• Like 1

Birmingham is a great city, although I'm unsure of the university experience.

Manchester is a great university city. Had a few friends who went there and visited a few times in uni days and it was amazing.

I'd echo the shouts above to go with the best course.
At the end of the day, there's not much between the two cities. The perception is that manchester is better, but we could argue for days on whether or not that's true. In reality, they're both great cities and you'll have an amazing time in either, so I would make sure you're on the best course for you, and the rest will fall into place.

It's not like you'll end up in Manchester and have a shit time or vice versa. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Manchester is full of Mancs. Don't do it to yourself.

Not to be underestimated this. 

Without trying to stereotype too much you'll find brummies much more down to earth and Mancs generally smug, full of the themselves and full of Manchester is the most important place anywhere. A bit nauseating 

Also see yorkshiremen and the "gods own country" and "don't let anyone know about it or they'll all be here" whilst telling as many people about it as possible shite. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Probably not the best forum to get a neutral opinion on that 😁

Speak to anyone outside Birmingham though and they'll tell you Manchester is Brilliant and Birmingham is a shit hole. This is an opinion built up by years of a determined campaign by Manchester to be considered a cool city not helped by the self deprecating attitude of Bummies. Mancs will bang on constantly that Manchester is the centre of the universe. Brummie will more likely agree that Birmingham is indeed a bit crap. 

A lot of this is also because Birmingham was becoming so successful in the 60s that London actively held it back to stop any genuine competition to it. 

Not helped by Manchester having more successful football teams and more bands who have made it recently. 

Both cities are undergoing massive amounts of redevelopment, I'm talking wholesale change, a skyline which is a forest of cranes. Manchester is a little ahead because they started earlier, probably due to the bomb which resulted in a lot of inward in investment. I also think Brum (despite the forest of cranes) has not really hit top gear yet because a lot of investors will wait till HS2 is nearer before the real big projects kick off. 

As far as Universities are concerned I believe Birmingham just about edges Manchester but there's not much in it. 

The truth is both cities are pretty similar but Manchester has the cool tag and Brum the shit hole tag. 

pretty good summation of us Bummies🤣

that aside, you've forgot that Manchester is also seen as the centre of the universe by the Biased Broadcasting Corporation....

and it's got Coronation Street😉

• Like 1

Lived in Manchester for 7 years and grew up near Birmingham with all my extended family living there.  I'll just compare a few things

Beauty: Brum has some much nicer looking areas and is a much much greener city.  Huge swathes of park land and I'm sure you've heard about the canals ;)

Ugliness: However I think Brum wins this too.  There's some real monstrosities extremely close to and even within the City Centre

Universities: Both have very well regarded universities.  I can't speak for student life in Brum but Manchester is a great student city

Pubs & nightlife: I'd say this is a draw, both score very highly on this

People: I echo the sentiment above of down to earth Brummies and arrogant Mancs

Accent: Don't listen to the consenus, Manc is a horrible strained nasally mess whilst Brummie is a warmer more welcoming (if slightly amusing) tone

Football: I don't even need to go into this, and as I said before get yourself a Villa membership and get to some games

Transport:  With the metro system, travel within Manchester is definitely better.   Brums internal transport is the cause of many grievances.  For getting out, Brum is much closer to London and will soon have the HS2 link

History:  Both will argue they are the main proponents of the industrial revolution.  I say iron > cotton.  Brum was also dubbed 'The workshop of the world' and the 'City of 1000 trades'

Music: Although Manchester is more recognised for it's music scene, Brum definitely produced the bigger worldwide acts.  This is a matter of personal preference though I guess.  Both cities are great for gigs etc

Food:  Brum would probably win this.  Many great restaurants but to put it into measurable terms, Brum has more Michelin stars and is the Multiple time Curry Capital winner

Other:  Manchester is scene as a big media hub and the BBC have practically relocated there

Conclusion...Yeah go with the best course

Edited by Wainy316
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, imavillan said:

pretty good summation of us Bummies🤣

that aside, you've forgot that Manchester is also seen as the centre of the universe by the Biased Broadcasting Corporation....

and it's got Coronation Street😉

Yeah. British media have been down on Brum for years and the winding up of Central TV and closure of Pebble Mill whilst huge media investment in Manchester has not helped at all 

We've probably suffered ironically from bring too close to London. When companies look at the regions they seem to think it's got to be London or The North, and Brum is not North. 

But in future HS2 will make Brum SO close to London a whole different dynamic will be at play. 

Weve got a really strong Banking sector and high end restaurants, we hold our own in other areas. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Lived in Manchester for 7 years and grew up near Birmingham with all my extended family living there.  I'll just rank a few things

Beauty: Brum has some much nicer looking areas and is a much much greener city.  Huge swathes of park land and I'm sure you've heard about the canals ;)

Ugliness: However I think Brum wins this too.  There's some real monstrosities extremely close to and even within the City Centre

Universities: Both have very well regarded universities.  I can't speak for student life in Brum but Manchester is a great student city

Pubs & nightlife: I'd say this is a draw, both score very highly on this

People: I echo the sentiment above of down to earth Brummies and arrogant Mancs

Accent: Don't listen to the consenus, Manc is a horrible strained nasally mess whilst Brummie is a warmer more welcoming (if slightly amusing) tone

Football: I don't even need to go into this, and as I said before get yourself a Villa membership and get to some games

Transport:  With the metro system, travel within Manchester is definitely better.   Brums internal transport is the cause of many grievances.  For getting out, Brum is much closer to London and will soon have the HS2 link

History:  Both will argue they are the main proponents of the industrial revolution.  I say iron > cotton.  Brum was also dubbed 'The workshop of the world' and the 'City of 1000 trades'

Music: Although Manchester is more recognised for it's music scene, Brum definitely produced the bigger worldwide acts.  This is a matter of personal preference though I guess.  Both cities are great for gigs etc

Conclusion...Yeah go with the best course

Manchester Metro is definitely better than ours but we have a more comprehensive heavy Rail Network. 

Those ugly buildings are being torn down at a pace too 

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, Icarium said:

Hi All,

Through my work I may get an opportunity to study in the UK for 12 months. There are 2 similar courses I am interested in, one is through University of Birmingham and the other through the University of Manchester.

While Birmingham obviously grabbed my attention as a Villa fan, I wanted to get a feel for the reputation of both universities from people in country and anything else worth knowing,  as far as living in each city, to help the decision making process.

Thanks in advance

Honestly, there's nothing in it.  You're choosing between the 2nd and 3rd biggest cities in England.  Both have vast amounts of everything to offer due to this and you'd have a fantastic experience in either one.  As said above, just pick the course which suits you best.

If there's nothing in the courses at all, then maybe experience Birmingham due to the Villa connection?  I think general cost of living is probably lower in Birmingham too, but not sure on this.

Manchester is basically 'confidence trick - the city'. It's spent 30 years talking itself up, getting good press from sporting success and pop culture hits, but the reality it's just another city that isn't London. And it's full of Mancs. 

Birmingham is bigger, it's less grim, it's less full of itself, Birmingham uni is better, food culture is ace, there's good nightlife with solid options for all sorts of clubs, bars, pubs. The biggest problem is the transport, but as a student you'll be living in the places that make that the least problematic it can be - the university and the student residential areas are all by trains. The problem only comes if you're living outside of the areas that are served by trains.

• Like 2

Â