Villa fans in the Birmingham area

ender4

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

All my English relatives in Brum (mostly around Handsworth) or who have moved to other parts of the UK or who have emigrated are either Villa or Albion fans -- and that is it. Never Blues and certainly not clubs from Manchester or Merseyside, never, Jesus no. There's probably a little more love for Albion among my cousins. Villa are seen as more upscale. 

This would make sense as Handsworth is pretty much half way between Villa Park and the Hawthorns. You generally wouldn't find many Blues fans in areas north of the city centre, while a lot of areas towards the west of the city (Handsworth, Great Barr, Quinton etc) tend to be a mix of Villa and Albion, that is amongst people support local teams anyway. 

You're more likely to find Blues fans in areas to the south and east of the city - Northfield, Longbridge, Chelmsley Wood, Stechford etc. would be areas I'd say you'd find the highest concentration of SHA supporters.

The rest of the city beyond that is a bit of a mix really, when I was living around King's Heath and Stirchley, it seemed to be a fairly even split of Villa and Blues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grew up in Northfield/West Heath. Mainly Blue with a bit of Villa,  Moved away mid nineties, now when I go back see a lot more Villa about...Suppose you can get on the A38 and be in the Shires quickly.

Mate.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Chine said:

I live in the Shires , i could be seen as a Shiler by SHA I suppose . There are lots of Villa out in the Shires but I still see the odd rat in some dated nose garb , not many Tesco’s and even les Dingles now the bubble has burst 

That's so true. You never see them wearing their latest shirt do you!? Guess they don't pay as much as we thought at JLR or the dole.

• Haha 2

@ender4 You'd have a fight on your hands trying to define "Greater Birmingham" let alone trying to figure out who supports who within that area - good luck!

Even if you say "West Midlands", which you would imagine is a pretty defined space - that includes Stoke, and I know they haven't come into your thinking.

14 hours ago, ender4 said:

I was wondering how much of the Greater Birmingham population (really West Midlands) are Villa fans as compared to other fans like Bham City, West Brom, Wolves, etc. Ignoring people who aren’t football fans at all.

My random guess is:

Villa - 25%
West Brom - 15%
Wolves - 15%
Birmingham City - 15%
Liverpool - 15%
Man Utd - 10%
Other - 5%

Im also guessing that more new local fans are becoming Villa fans rather than Man Utd, Liverpool or Bham City fans?

Will we ever achieve total dominance, say over 50% of local football fans will support Villa?

I wonder if the proportion of football fans in general is also increasing in Birmingham?

My own random guess would be Villa 30%, Small Heath 15%, WBA 15%, Wolves 15%, Manchester United 10%, Liverpool 10%, Manchester City 3% and Walsall 2%.Whai I know 100% is:image.jpeg.a96f61cc52712fc3ed17a2c2bf27d46d.jpeg 

Villa are by far the best local supported club in greater birmingham/west midlands/ whatever you want to call it. Albion has a fair few going to the black country and Wolves do well also in south staffs and Worcestershire.  I think we are picking up quite a bit of new support with all of the new housing in the city centre (mate) which is probably one reason why prices are going up. 

The scum 6 still dominates casual support across the city region which is a disappointment, especially in the south Asian communities. You still go up on matchday and many won't have a clue that we are actually playing that day, something as a club we need to keep working on.

Blues are an utter irrelevance nowadays.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The scum 6 still dominates casual support across the city region which is a disappointment, especially in the south Asian communities. You still go up on matchday and many won't have a clue that we are actually playing that day, something as a club we need to keep working on.

This has been the case for years. I remember walking to VP once, and about halfway down Bevington Road (in sight of the floodlights) there was a little Asian lad kicking a ball, and I asked him who he thought would win that day. 

"Dunno, who's playing?" 

"What??? Aren't you a Villa fan?" 

"Nah. Man Yoo". 

I walked away, shaking my head. 

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This has been the case for years. I remember walking to VP once, and about halfway down Bevington Road (in sight of the floodlights) there was a little Asian lad kicking a ball, and I asked him who he thought would win that day. 

"Dunno, who's playing?" 

"What??? Aren't you a Villa fan?" 

"Nah. Man Yoo". 

I walked away, shaking my head. 

Yes but as club we need to make sure that Villa is a safe welcoming place for all people of ages and backgrounds. There is a potential massive extra support base that we haven't really managed to crack. 

• Like 2

Being in the doldrums for so long, has encouraged some kids to follow out of town glory teams......you wear it, when you have followed Villa for some time, but these impressionable juniors, want a team to get excited about.

We will win over a new generation of fan/supporter in due course.

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I saw some absolute tool at Ventura Park in a full Leedszzz tracksuit, it was all I could do to not laugh.

perhaps his Sat Nav malfunctioned.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is a fair few Villa fans down the M5 Corridor, leading to Exeter......A Fair few in Worcester, Evesham and Gloucester, way.

Villa well represented down this way, disgusting amount of Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea fans though. Exeter, Plymouth and to a lesser extent Torquay are peoples ‘second teams’ on the whole.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adam67 said:

Grew up in Northfield/West Heath. Mainly Blue with a bit of Villa,  Moved away mid nineties, now when I go back see a lot more Villa about...Suppose you can get on the A38 and be in the Shires quickly.

Mate.

I grew up in Northfield too, Shenley Court was 70% Villa when I was there. Blues were in the 3rd division and Villa were competing for titles. I don’t think the area things are very relevant any more. People move around more. I still see more Villa shirts than Blues in areas that are historically Blue. 

I grew up in Kingstanding also. Don't remember ever meeting a nose when I lived there. 

Now I live down South and meet a surprising number of Villa fans. Even met one in Thailand (a local) when on holiday.

• Like 1

A few areas from my experience..

Smethwick - predominantly Baggies large Villa presence a few Blues.

Small Heath - loads more Blues than anything else.Obviously 

Stourbridge - if you don’t like Orange don’t go out after the dingles have won.Plenty of Villa around too.

Halesowen - Lots of Villa also Baggies, less dingles and the occasional Blue.

All of the above areas have glory hunters….but are they real fans….I mean it might seem real to them but we all know that they haven’t earnt the reflected glory they bask in.UTV

Edited by MarkLillis

19 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

This would make sense as Handsworth is pretty much half way between Villa Park and the Hawthorns. You generally wouldn't find many Blues fans in areas north of the city centre, while a lot of areas towards the west of the city (Handsworth, Great Barr, Quinton etc) tend to be a mix of Villa and Albion, that is amongst people support local teams anyway. 

You're more likely to find Blues fans in areas to the south and east of the city - Northfield, Longbridge, Chelmsley Wood, Stechford etc. would be areas I'd say you'd find the highest concentration of SHA supporters.

The rest of the city beyond that is a bit of a mix really, when I was living around King's Heath and Stirchley, it seemed to be a fairly even split of Villa and Blues

What a terrific, illuminating post -- thank you. A long long time ago, one of my cousins dated an Albion player, but her older brother (I have to say, he has very refined tastes) is dyed-in-the-wool Villa. It's like that -- family splits.

• Like 1

Â