Villa fans in the Birmingham area

ender4

I lived in Portugal from 1995 to 2010 and it was common to see tourists in the Algarve in a Villa shirt, however what surprised me was I have seen portuguese guys wearing a Villa shirt in Lisbon on several occasions 🙂

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 22:50, catanzaro said:

Erdington boy here.. Villa 99.95% in the eighties.. moved away in the 90’s as a twenty year old.. no idea now what the percentage would be for Villa now in Erdington but I would hope 99.94%..

More or less still the same. Probably 99.96% Villa now.

• Thanks 1

A small sample size - I was at a barbers in Rubery for 20 minutes on Saturday morning. 4 football shirts were spotted passing on the high street. I'm pleased to say 3 were Villa (including a circa 1988 Hummel Mita Copiers home shirt) but the fourth was a lad in a man citeh shirt. I'm assuming it would have been a manu shirt around a decade ago.

Edited by brommy

1 hour ago, brommy said:

A small sample size - I was at a barbers in Rubery for 20 minutes on Saturday morning. 4 football shirts were spotted passing on the high street. I'm pleased to say 3 were Villa (including a circa 1988 Hummel Mita Copiers home shirt) but the fourth was a lad in a man citeh shirt. I'm assuming it would have been a manu shirt around a decade ago.

and the 3 Villa, might have been Blues......I thought Rubery/Longbridge/ Northfield was Blues territory.

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2023 at 00:04, Podster said:

I lived in Portugal from 1995 to 2010 and it was common to see tourists in the Algarve in a Villa shirt, however what surprised me was I have seen portuguese guys wearing a Villa shirt in Lisbon on several occasions 🙂

Probably John Terry and Steve Bruce on holiday.

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2023 at 01:04, Podster said:

And then villa decided to stop selling the new kit before people went on holiday 😉

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

and the 3 Villa, might have been Blues......I thought Rubery/Longbridge/ Northfield was Blues territory.

Not a single blose shirt in sight but perhaps the Villa shirts were being worn ironically!

4 hours ago, brommy said:

but the fourth was a lad in a man citeh shirt. I'm assuming it would have been a manu shirt around a decade ago.

I'm seeing more Man City shirts... not just kids either, but fully grown humans. A few wearing older Man City shirts as they try and convince people they've always supported them. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don’t think so!  I’m born and bred in Northfield and live in Rubery!  Big Villa area’s including Weoley Castle.  My brother’s funeral was at Lodge Hill yesterday.  We all wore Villa shirts and the crematorium was rammed.  Everyone from Northfield and all Villa!!!

• Like 1

I was born in Birmingham and have lived in the south or west of the city most of my life. My parents are from Ladywood and Great Barr and I have relatives and friends in north Birmingham. My view on how local team support is spread is this:

North: Kingstanding, Streetly, Perry Barr, Great Barr etc - heavily Villa

North East: Castle Vale, Erdington, Sutton etc - heavily Villa

East: Chelmsley Wood, Castle Brom, Stechford, Sheldon, Yardley etc - heavily Blues over this side

South East: Acocks Green, Solihull - again, a lot of Blues

South: Moseley, Kings Heath, Kings Norton etc - quite a mixed bag but I’d say Villa fans outnumber Blues

South West: Selly Oak, Northfield, Longbridge etc - again a mixed bag but these days more Villa than Blues

West: Harborne, Quinton, Bearwood etc - more Villa than anything else but some Blues and also Albion due to proximity to the Black Country

North West: Winson Green, Handsworth, Handsworth Wood etc - majority Villa but also a fair few Albion

Not even going to give my view on spread of support for Liverpool, Man U etc as the glory-hunting words removed can’t be taken seriously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

I don’t think so!  I’m born and bred in Northfield and live in Rubery!  Big Villa area’s including Weoley Castle.  My brother’s funeral was at Lodge Hill yesterday.  We all wore Villa shirts and the crematorium was rammed.  Everyone from Northfield and all Villa!!!

Oh....I am surprised.....I always thought it was a blue nose zone......albeit pleasantly surprised.

sorry for your loss.

I grew up in Solihull and was definitely outnumbered by Small Heath fans growing up in the 70s and 80s - although the balance changed quite a bit in the early 80's when we were Kings of Europe.

Slightly off the topic here, but I now work as ground agent at the airport here in Melbourne, Florida (close to Orlando) and we get about 15 TUI charter flights a week from Birmingham, Newcastle, Gatwick, Manchester, Glasgow (one a week from Bristol too!).  Always interesting to see the footy shirts as people deplane.

Birmingham Flights -  about 50% Villa with the other 50% a mix of Small Heath, Baggies, Wolves, Forest, Cov, Leicester and Stoke.

Manchester - 50% Citeh, 20% ManUre 20% Bin Dippers and 10% others like Everton, Bolton

Gatwick - mixture of most of the London clubs and Brighton.  High number of West Ham this week.

Newcastle - 90% Newcastle and 10% Sunderland/Middlesborough

Glasgow - 80% Rangers/Celtic with a few Hibs and some occasional others.  Met a nice family last year all decked out in St Mirren shirts.  Turned out they were friends of the Super McGinn family - nothing but nice things to say about the family. 

Bristol - mostly scarecrows and a few Cardiff supporters. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm seeing more Man City shirts... not just kids either, but fully grown humans. A few wearing older Man City shirts as they try and convince people they've always supported them. 

You won't find a city fan who didn't watch them in division 3 it's really weird. Every single one of them leaps to tell you how they watched them at Maine Road in the bad old days.

Ha. Not a football club.

• Like 1

Â