Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

46 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Am slightly concerned at just how bad his Roma stint was. By all accounts it was a complete and utter **** up.

Linking up with Unai again is a good sign though considering how well they worked together in the past. 

Yes, this. Maybe some drama, but a good working relationship with our boss transcends all that, one hopes. Maybe the drama was partly the result of not having that good communication at Roma?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

15 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Am slightly concerned at just how bad his Roma stint was. By all accounts it was a complete and utter **** up.

Linking up with Unai again is a good sign though considering how well they worked together in the past. 

Same...  Words can't describe just how badly he crashed and burned at Roma, but this is Emery's call so I'm backing him to succeed here.  

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Same...  Words can't describe just how badly he crashed and burned at Roma, but this is Emery's call so I'm backing him to succeed here.  

Emery and Monchi seem to have a good relationship and that will hopefully work for Villa.

Roma in contrast might not have been so viable in terms offends available and whoever was the manager; perhaps that relationship was not good?

No doubt his time at Roma was disastrous but at the same time that's one strike against his name vs many good points. It's a bit like getting hung up on Emery's time in Russia.

I remember listening to European football podcasts years ago and his name was almost synonymous with the DOF/sporting director role such was his success, considering how much mythologising I've heard of him over the years if I'm finding it a bit mad he's now ending up at Villa. Certainly some interesting changes starting to occur, but as I've been given no reason not to thus far I'm trusting Emery on this one.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He didn't really have time to fix his mistakes.

But also he had to sell Salah, Rudiger and Alison. Like your team will get worse when that happens.

Idk whether any of the players he signed were good or not. But they had a net spend of -45 million over those 2 seasons he was there. Your team tends to get worse when that happens. 

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Exactly, he didn't do well at Roma, Emery didn't do well in Moscow or at Arsenal. He learned and moved on. 

The difference at Villa is we've Emery here now and Monchi is part of a team

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He didn't really have time to fix his mistakes.

But also he had to sell Salah, Rudiger and Alison. Like your team will get worse when that happens.

Idk whether any of the players he signed were good or not. But they had a net spend of -45 million over those 2 seasons he was there. Your team tends to get worse when that happens. 

a few rags seem to rank his signings at Roma as follows, total cost about 150m (obviously, he made about 135m on sales also - prob the players you mentioned):

https://breakingthelines.com/transfer-analysis/analyzing-monchis-ill-fated-spell-at-roma/

Analyzing Monchi’s Ill-fated Spell at Roma

image.thumb.png.26f464a3d67553b33de0defcd66fe8c9.png

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, useless said:

If I'm looking at it right Roma finished 3rd and 6th when he was there, which doesn't seem too bad, they havne't finished higher than 3rd since, and only finished higher than 6th once since then.

They had a few top two finishes before Monchi's arrival but maybe they were always gong to drop from that lofty position anyway as other teams around them improved, sixth seems to be pretty much Roma's average position in the league.

If he failed at Roma in same way that Emery failed at Arsenal then that's a good thing because Emery was actually pretty good at Arsenal

The main reason he gets flak for his time with AS Roma is that he fell out with Nainggolan who then went to Inter and later ran his mouth off saying Monchi had ruined Roma and that id he'd known Monchi was going to leave so soon he might have stayed. Which I think is quite likely bullshit in both cases. Roma as a club is a very difficult place to work, they haven't had decent owners with clout since the 80s,  As a DOF you're probably on a hiding to nothing as the owners will publicly be saying the project is Champions League then asking you to hawk a couple of the best players so there's some money for transfers. Look at the list of players Roma have sold in the last half dozen or so seasons, there's some incredible players in there. Monchi was tasked by the owners with selling all the best talent from the Sabatini era and building a new team. 

If Emery knows and trusts him then fair enough, his time at Roma is criticised here by a lot of the fans but I dunno how much of it's true.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

a few rags seem to rank his signings at Roma as follows, total cost about 150m (obviously, he made about 135m on sales also - prob the players you mentioned):

https://breakingthelines.com/transfer-analysis/analyzing-monchis-ill-fated-spell-at-roma/

Analyzing Monchi’s Ill-fated Spell at Roma

image.thumb.png.26f464a3d67553b33de0defcd66fe8c9.png

Hmm..

To be fair.. Schick, Santon, Pastore, Kluivert and Nzonzi either were highly rated or have proven to be good.

Obviously he made big mistakes, but you can kind of see the logic in some of those

Â