Pau Torres

Delphinho123

7 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I bumped into Pau a few weeks ago at a retail park. Having met a few Villa players before most of them (completely understandably) will quickly shake your hand, or nod / wave and walk off as quick as they can (It's a common affect I have on people). 

Pau was the most polite, calm and unique individual. He was genuinely interested in us, how we are Villa fans and do we go to matches. Another family quickly recognised him, again he stayed and had time for them. You can definitely see why he was captain at VIllarael at such a young age with his persona on and off the pitch. 

courtesy is free, and not used enough these days....nice story.

shows his inner strength imo.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 21:17, Delphinho123 said:

I think Luiz is overrated. I still think he’s a very good player.

He is overrated playing in a 6......He's a very good player, when Kamara is in....but I applaud his loyalty, to play where asked.

Maybe just had a dip in form.

back to Pau.....I really like him, but needs a dominant CB alongside him, to compliment him....to create balance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Going back to the Villarael days, and just how damn good Torres is on the ball, I think the plan was

Kamara

Pau  Mings   Konsa

Mings dominates in the air, athletic and quick. There was absolutely no way he was coming out of our team without injury.

Konsa and Pau bringing the ball out, and Kamara filling in when a CB pushes forward with the ball. 

If this was the plan, its unbelievable how Unai re-invented this team with 2 key components missing for most the season. 

I agree.

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2024 at 10:46, pas5898 said:

I bumped into Pau a few weeks ago at a retail park. Having met a few Villa players before most of them (completely understandably) will quickly shake your hand, or nod / wave and walk off as quick as they can (It's a common affect I have on people). 

Pau was the most polite, calm and unique individual. He was genuinely interested in us, how we are Villa fans and do we go to matches. Another family quickly recognised him, again he stayed and had time for them. You can definitely see why he was captain at VIllarael at such a young age with his persona on and off the pitch. 

He does come across as this sort of bloke.

21 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Anybody gonna mention the ball watching that lead to their goal tonight....

Not when we can gush over his passing stats!

He’s a large part of why we can’t defend. He’s a bit of a luxury player and you have to be a fu***** good team to be able to afford to have one of those at centre half of all positions. 

Good footballer, rubbish defender. 

If he doesn't fall asleep for their goal, we don't concede.

Conceding 10 minutes in killed us. Sure he's good in the ball.

So is tielemans.

Maybe we should play Tielemans at CB

• Like 1

I thought he was our best player. Konsa’s form is a much bigger concern. He looks (not surprisingly) absolutely jaded. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not when we can gush over his passing stats!

He’s a large part of why we can’t defend. He’s a bit of a luxury player and you have to be a fu***** good team to be able to afford to have one of those at centre half of all positions. 

Good footballer, rubbish defender. 

Nonsense 😂

Hes literally our most important player

Edited by Stevo985

That being said it was a big **** up for their goal last night. 

We were never winning that game but that just finished it immediately

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nonsense 😂

Hes literally our most important player

We conceded fewer goals last year over 38 games than we have this year already. Mings was a beast last year.

But yeh, Torres is our most important player 😂

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We conceded fewer goals last year over 38 games than we have this year already. Mings was a beast last year.

But yeh, Torres is our most important player 😂

He is though. I can’t believe anyone could have watched Villa this season and not realised how key he is to the way we play. 

Everything starts with him, he allows us to play further up the pitch, he progresses the ball to our creative players more than anyone, he lets the midfield play further up the pitch to get into attacking areas. 

It speaks volumes that you just point to goals conceded as the be all and end all. It’s 2024, defenders do more than just defending. We conceded more this season, we’ve also scored a record amount of goals. And Pau Torres is a massive reason for that. 

One of the cruel truths of this season is Mings’ injury meant we integrated Torres sooner and got the benefit. Mings can’t do what he does 

• Like 2

Â