Pau Torres

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

He's made the whoscored worst signings 11. 

Well if they are compiling lists of worst Summer signings in mid October, then they are either thick or short of copy.

• Like 2

We all like a defender with recovery pace at Villa or brute strength and even an inate sense of positioning. Pau has non of these. He is liable to be done for pace most times  if he is caught one on one and he isnt going to get any quicker. We are used to Ty being able to match most for recovery pace and strength even when his positioning fails . 

But he does have a unique ability to start off attacks.I like how he plays . 

In order to minimise the negatives and maximise his positives it is quite a difficult balance. You would think that once Moreno is back to fitness he would be able to offer the recovery pace down the left flank. Problem is that he is needed far more up the pitch by Emery to run onto balls played by Pau. He is quick but not that quick to help out when we lose the ball and the opponent counterattacks .

So that means when JJ is back fit it needs to be him watching and covering if Moreno is up the other end of the pitch. Problem is that he is needed further up the pitch to break the lines.

It is a real issue for Emery to find a way to make this work. One which with my limited football understanding is struggling to solve. Thats why we have Emery though. If he can't  solve it no one can.

Edited by MWARLEY2

On 14/10/2023 at 09:40, DCJonah said:

He's made the whoscored worst signings 11. 

Hilarious

But for context who else bought a CB this summer?

Spurs got the Dutch guy, arsenal signed timber who is out for the season after 1 game (?) Brentford got Collins for 23m, Chelsea got disasi, Fulham got bassey, gvardiol I think is classed as a LB, Newcastle got hall in on loan

He's comfortably the best player on that list but he's also the only player on that list who plays week in week out and is the highest profile

To me Brentford paying 23m for a guy who's only played 4 out of their 8 PL games as they slide down the table is of course a worse signing

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hilarious

But for context who else bought a CB this summer?

Spurs got the Dutch guy, arsenal signed timber who is out for the season after 1 game (?) Brentford got Collins for 23m, Chelsea got disasi, Fulham got bassey, gvardiol I think is classed as a LB, Newcastle got hall in on loan

He's comfortably the best player on that list but he's also the only player on that list who plays week in week out and is the highest profile

To me Brentford paying 23m for a guy who's only played 4 out of their 8 PL games as they slide down the table is of course a worse signing

Collins was in there with Torres. Ashley Young at LB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Collins was in there with Torres. Ashley Young at LB

I guess this is probably based on some bullshit stats rather than someone who watches football?

Either way it doesn't matter, he's settling in nicely now after being thrown in because of the Ming's injury 

• Like 2

haven't watched loads of the others but seem to be players who have struggled so far this season. 

Is Torres being viewed with the claret and blue specs? 

I'll be honest, I haven't been as impressed as some on here. Wouldn't class him as a disaster signings though. 

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

haven't watched loads of the others but seem to be players who have struggled so far this season. 

I'll be honest, I haven't been as impressed as some on here. Wouldn't class him as a disaster signings though.

At a guess their scoring metric leans heavier on defending stats rather than what he does when we have the ball, all his forward passing stuff and touches of the ball will ignored

That team is purely the lowest scoring players with no context such as fee etc

Mistakes leading to goals he's still at 0 (konsa is our only player with that official stat, no sure which one off the top of my head)

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's just numbers on their algorithm thing, doesn't mean much. There probably hasn't been that many CBs signed really.

He's got a tough job to end up being good value for the fortune we've spent on him though.

Some people are obviously bored during the international break when they come up with theses lists.

Villa are in 5th and he has basically started every game, hardly meets the standard of worst new signing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's just numbers on their algorithm thing, doesn't mean much. There probably hasn't been that many CBs signed really.

He's got a tough job to end up being good value for the fortune we've spent on him though.

Yeah I don't always blindly trust whoscored. I think it can add context at times though. 

I do find this 11 interesting. I don't think for any other player on that list there'd be an argument that they haven't been poor so far this season. 

So the fact Torres is on there, makes me question maybe he's been viewed with those claret and blue specs. 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What a load of Bollox! no Manure signing? wheres Mason Mount?, Wheres Banana Skin? Manure alone should filled in 1/3 of this squad.

8 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

What a load of Bollox! no Manure signing? wheres Mason Mount?, Wheres Banana Skin? Manure alone should filled in 1/3 of this squad.

And Chelsea the rest,.mind you Newcastle with their £60m Italian gambling addict takes some beating.

• Like 1

Â