Pau Torres

Delphinho123

10 minutes ago, Callum said:

Will lose his place to a much more physical lenglet and will be used in Europe. 

Some things you can’t teach. 

What a load of rubbish. Emery wouldn't go to such lengths to convince Torres to join us only to lose faith in him in less than 10 games (and limit him to ECL games). That ought to be blatant.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I hope fans aren't going to turn on him so early on ffs.

48 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I really hope signing defenders like Pau isn't going to be his downfall. The premier league is all about athleticism and he just doesn't seem to have it 😬

27 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

So Mings out, Carlos out, Torres out of his depth at this level ..... need to get Lenglet in fast and hope he can pair with Konsa. We need an experienced CB pairing fast !

This is exactly the sort of crap I mean. Do you realise how fickle this makes us look?

Then, when his peformances pick up, like McGinn and Konsa's did, he'll be a top-class 'Rolls Royce' defender once again and the fact that he was being slated as Emery's potential 'downfall' will suddenly be forgotten.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

This is exactly the sort of crap I mean. Do you realise how fickle this makes us look?

Then, when his peformances pick up, like McGinn and Konsa's did, he'll be a Rolls Royce defender once again and the fact that he was being slated as Emery's potential 'downfall' will be suddenly forgotten.

It's a genuine concern at the moment that he doesn't look suited to Premier League football. 

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

It's a genuine concern at the moment that he doesn't look suited to Premier League football. 

It's one thing to have a concern, though I think it's far too early to tell (especially against a team of 'asthmatics'), but it's overboard to say he's definitively 'out of his depth' at this level or worry that he may become Emery's downfall.

• Like 1

Had a complete shocker.

He's a good player but I worry if he's going to be our leader in these type of matches. Couldn't pass, couldn't mark, couldn't even talk to push us up and down the pitch.

Need personality at these type of venues aswell as technical excellence.

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

It's one thing to have a concern, though I think it's far too early to tell (especially against a team of 'asthmatics'), but it's overboard to say he's definitively 'out of his depth' at this level or worry that he may become Emery's downfall.

Yeah, too soon to write him off but the signs are not good so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

To be clear I think Torres is is a good player who has pedigree. However it remains to be seen if his skillset suits the Premier League.

The thing for me is, even when he does settle in he won't suddenly become a good defender. Torres never has been an actual good defender and well probably won't ever will be. On the ball he's as elite as they come, but when tasked with defending though it's a bit of a shambles. 

I don't hate him, I don't want him dropped, I'm not scapegoating him it's just how it is imo. Will have to deal with it many more times this season I expect. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can't write him off that's insane it's too early.

That said if he's unable to adjust to cope with the pace and strength of the league then we have a problem 

He does seem like a player who benefits from a formidable presence like Mings or Carlos, but this was already known when we bought him. I doubt it makes him an exception among modern centre-backs, who are fast and possess a wide passing range but whose lack of physical dominance makes them easy to play off. Not his fault that injuries seem to be scuppering our system at the moment.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Had a complete shocker.

He's a good player but I worry if he's going to be our leader in these type of matches. Couldn't pass, couldn't mark, couldn't even talk to push us up and down the pitch.

Need personality at these type of venues aswell as technical excellence.

I saw him a few times telling the midfielders , I need you to come here or go there , he can’t defend or turn for shit , but I don’t think there is any problem with his communication 

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

The thing for me is, even when he does settle in he won't suddenly become a good defender. Torres never has been an actual good defender and well probably won't ever will be. On the ball he's as elite as they come, but when tasked with defending though it's a bit of a shambles. 

I don't hate him, I don't want him dropped, I'm not scapegoating him it's just how it is imo. Will have to deal with it many more times this season I expect. 

I asked a few games ago if he'd be more suited to being a  " Sweeper " of some sort as opposed to the last line of defence.

At least until he's properly bedded in or we've perfected the system around him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

this x100.

he will look great vs teams where we have control of possession a lot as his distribution is world class. But playing a team like Liverpool where he will have to defend is not ideal. His lack of pace will get exposed vs teams with very pacey players as it was today. The Mings injury probably effected Unai's ideas with how to play with Pau throughout the whole season. 

• Like 2

Worrying how slow and clumsy he looks defensively. We were told we were getting a Man City standard, Spain international, Champions League level defender who will elevate us to another level. He looks a million miles off it at the moment. He looks  more like a more skilful Carlos Cuellar. Playing against top teams is supposed to be his level. I really worry about his pace. Settling in is not going to make him any faster. 

Think he will be very good against sides we dominate and have to worry more about breaking down rather than being on the backfoot for a majority of the game. He seems a liability in games like this though. Just a reminder how much we miss Mings' recovery pace, strength and aerial ability.

• Like 2

Â