Youri Tielemans

thejoker

I could see him potentially being ok (if not spectacular) in a three person midfield in front of Luiz and kamara. That would enable him to use his stronger skills most effectively - I.e through balls and shooting. But that involves changing Emery’s entire system. He’s not press resistant enough to play in the double pivot and isn’t dynamic enough to do one of the wide player roles (like McGinn/Ramsey)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I could see him potentially being ok (if not spectacular) in a three person midfield in front of Luiz and kamara. That would enable him to use his stronger skills most effectively - I.e through balls and shooting. But that involves changing Emery’s entire system. He’s not press resistant enough to play in the double pivot and isn’t dynamic enough to do one of the wide player roles (like McGinn/Ramsey)

I didn't blame Emery for last night but playing Tielemans in the role that Mcginn, Ramsay and Zaniolo have played in seemed strange. 

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've not given up on this one yet, but it's fair to say he hasn't impressed yet. His lack of selection can currently be used as a bit of an excuse to not having form. But that won't last forever. What then counts against him are his comments in the press.  Now I don't think anything he said was particularly out of order. He's a player unhappy with not playing. That, in itself, is a good thing. Emery said as much. But he's going to have to start taking the bull by the horns when he is on the pitch. He may also be getting hampered by generally starting in weaker sides. Maybe he'll get a start soon in a league side alongside the stronger players. But as of now he has a lot to do. A few stand-out performances though and we'll forget his stop-start beginning to his Villa career. He just isn't doing himself any favours right now.  There's a player in there though. We know that.

I totally get that argument and generally wouldn’t disagree with most of the points.

In saying that, he looks bulky and very slow.  Not sure starting games will fix that over the short term.

Just now, duke313 said:

Doesn't look up to speed with the way we play, unfortunately the only way for that to happen is to play matches. I suspect we'll see him starting ECL games for the foreseeable.

Leicester fans are probably having a good laugh.

Why are they? We signed him on a free, yes he’s had a bad start to his Villa career but he has ability, he just needs to get match fit.

1 minute ago, Robbie09 said:

Why are they? We signed him on a free, yes he’s had a bad start to his Villa career but he has ability, he just needs to get match fit.

Because we were bigging him up as a great signing on a free, and so far, he's been rubbish.

So this guy was dog shit last night!

Lacks the maneuverability and speed of foot to play as advanced as he started last night. Just lost possession over and over again. Then got moved back after Dendonker came off and basically gave a away a goal. 

If he wants to start more matches, then he really needs to up his performance level. Currently Luiz is twice the player he is. 

Edited by Philosopher

He needs to sort his game out quickly.

He raises the point about not getting game time, when he does get it he has mostly looked shite.

Not impressed with him so far.

Not trying to write him off just yet, but based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at another club next summer unless things improve.

Clearly got an eye for a pass and you suspect in those comfortable 3-4 nil home games he will look very good.

My issue is that he seems to have no presence in the midfield, he doesn't have pace, isn't a particularly good presser or great on the defensive side...not much left after that unfortunately.

Top 6 teams don't have passengers in the midfield. 

23 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Clearly got an eye for a pass and you suspect in those comfortable 3-4 nil home games he will look very good.

My issue is that he seems to have no presence in the midfield, he doesn't have pace, isn't a particularly good presser or great on the defensive side...not much left after that unfortunately.

Top 6 teams don't have passengers in the midfield. 

Belgian Ashley Westwood

He won a couple of duels when he came on against Chelsea and put himself about, and to be honest, after having a hand in both late goals VS Palace, I was pretty hopeful. But there's no hiding from the fact of how bad he was last night.

Still too early to judge fully though IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

No amount of game time will make him faster and more physical and we certainly won’t change the system to suit him. 

no, but some time working on your physicality will. I hope the club pointed a large finger towards the gym establishment for him.

I must admit, I’m really not surprised he has been poor. 

Youri needs a run of games to even get going, granted I don’t watch you week in week out, but I thought he was going into a tough team to break into…. I wouldn’t say he is better than any of your midfielders prior to his arrival. A squad player at most, but unfortunately he can’t perform that role due to needing constant game time.

I think when we were good, he was benefiting from the players around him lifting his game, and making up for his inadequacies…. 

He will probably go out on loan in January….. just be thankful that you didn’t have to pay a transfer fee for him…. 

He probably should have stayed with us………

Â