Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

image.png.90de17bc906328e32e670dedf6691015.png

I wonder if 10 years from now we will look back at this season as a breakthrough in an era that has become to be known as the "Big Top 8" (hard not to see Newcastle in there with their state backed resources) or was it just a successful blip for us. Hoping for the former 🙂

We were in the top 8 last season as well. We finished 7th.

• Like 1

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

We were in the top 8 last season as well. We finished 7th.

It's gonna take a lot more seasons consistently getting into those places to establish itself as Spurs did in 2010s, including few CL qualifications, hopefully first on the way. Of course the revenue gap will likely hold and big 6 will still be hard to catch up, but that's why I said decade :D 

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

It's gonna take a lot more seasons consistently getting into those places to establish itself as Spurs did in 2010s, including few CL qualifications, hopefully first on the way. Of course the revenue gap will likely hold and big 6 will still be hard to catch up, but that's why I said decade :D 

You asked if this season was a blip in us being top 8. I just pointed out thay we did ot last year as well.

We will be top 8 again next season I'm sure. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Unai said to the interviewer the other day that he only wanted to hear positivity.  That's what every fan should give between now and the end of the season, otherwise they probably don't deserve to watch CL football.

I'll tell Unai to keep the **** away from this thread until the end of the season then!

Edited by Made In Aston

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

4th is not ours yet. Weirder things have happened.

I'd bet money over us finishing 4th over me spelling your username right 1st time :)

• Haha 2

There is absolutely no reason to panic or get stressed yet. If Liverpool beat us and Spurs beat City, then it's time to get nervy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I wonder if 10 years from now we will look back at this season as a breakthrough in an era that has become to be known as the "Big Top 8" (hard not to see Newcastle in there with their state backed resources) or was it just a successful blip for us. Hoping for the former 🙂

That looks like the future right there.

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Nothing's changed. We still don't need anything from our last two games.

I'd take it if it meant Champions League qualification.

However form would be a major disappointing factor as it's often used as something to build upon in preseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd take it if it meant Champions League qualification.

However form would be a major disappointing factor as it's often used as something to build upon in preseason.

This is an issue that bothers me and Unai has to take care of it in the summer. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

You're missing small heath mate. Champions league in 5 seasons and a £3bn stadium. 

IF Spuds draw against Citeh, and we lose by a couple to Pool, than I'll start getting a little nervous.

I think it could go to goal difference.  

Spurs  City 1 - 1

Villa Pool  0-2

Spurs 3 points behind - GD of 6

Spurs beat Sheff U 4 0, we would have to lose by 1.

OR

Spurs lose to Ciy because Spurs are poor, and we beat Pool with Klopp being red carded. 

Who knows? I'm more nervous about Tuesday than Monday!

55 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I know what you’re getting at. Ideally it shouldn’t be the same eight (or X number) of clubs occupying the top places.

But I’m looking at them, there’s a certain “yeah…looks about right for the foreseeable” inevitable feel about it. 

Hopefully Liverpool falter post Klopp, Man City are sent packing to Sunday league football (if the Dog & Duck will agree to face them of course) and Man Utd continue to push the comedic envelope as far as they can to mix things up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

There is absolutely no reason to panic or get stressed yet. If Liverpool beat us and Spurs beat City, then it's time to get nervy. 

If Liverpool beat us and Spurs even draw against City, then it’s time to get nervy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

This is an issue that bothers me and Unai has to take care of it in the summer. 

Absolutely true...

Presently I'm actually disappointed Unai Emery hasn't addressed it this season otherwise we'd be in a European final...

But hey injuries and stuff too has killed us too.