Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only concern would be if the Spurs game is one of those freak ones where city miss a million chances and Spurs nick a goal.

But those are very few and far between so I just can’t see it happening.

Also can’t see us losing 3 games in a row. I reckon we’ll get at least a point.

Well funny enough we are due for a win. Looking at our PL schedule for the season we’ve never gone more than 2 games without a win.

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well funny enough we are due for a win. Looking at our PL schedule for the season we’ve never gone more than 2 games without a win.

Sorry to be Debbie downer but we've never been this out on our arses knackered before...

• Like 3

This thread is mental ....

I'll come back when we have qualified for 4th and troll all of the comments about us being out on our ass and likely to miss out on top 4...

I'm going to have right good time then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Burnley are very capable of getting 3 points against spurs in their current form.

14 hours ago, MSvillain said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how Pep goes about things if i'm honest

Especially with Emery and Pep being mates. 
I think they’ll be some phone calls prior to the match begging and offering free Paella lunches if he wins 

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only concern would be if the Spurs game is one of those freak ones where city miss a million chances and Spurs nick a goal.

But those are very few and far between so I just can’t see it happening.

Also can’t see us losing 3 games in a row. I reckon we’ll get at least a point.

City are on their end of season roll.  Yes, Spurs have a recent good record at home against City but we are at the time of the season where City do the business.  Surely based on what we have seen recently of Spurs, it should see City just walk all over them.  Set pieces with KDB and Foden, with Haaland, Rodri and co towering above the Spurs defence.  

I’ve just got to believe that City will do the business otherwise we may miss out on 4th and City may miss the title.  City need it just as much as us.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Thug said:

The money gained from being IN the champions league, the players attracted by being IN the champions league, the increase in the clubs profile by being IN the champions league completely eclipses the ‘won a European trophy no one gives two **** about’ argument. Stinks of SHA mentality.

I want Villa to succeed.  I want what’s best for Aston Villa.  I can see the long term benefit of being in the champions league over winning the conference cup.  You, on the other hand, want some shitty trophy you can crack one off over.

Not convinced by this, to be honest.  I think qualifying for the Champions League long term has an impact over players choosing to join... but you're probably more likely to be shopping in the higher end market with players from other Champions League-qualifying clubs.

As a one-off season accomplishment, I don't think hitting the CL for a season necessarily attracts better players.  I don't think it did for Newcastle, or Leicester or even really Spurs and they've qualified a fair few times.  We bought Bailey and Diaby from Leverkusen, Pau Torres from Villarreal, got Kamara in on a free etc as a team who were languishing in the Premier League and then hitting top half.  They didn't come to a CL club and (I imagine) that's the sort of market we'd be looking to delve into again this summer.  There's an argument that if it came down to, say, a choice between us and Spurs and everything on the table was incredibly similar then playing in the CL for a season might sway it... but I'm really not convinced.

Personally, I'd rather win a trophy.  That isn't having "SHA mentality".

(Edit: and calling it a “shitty trophy” - just wow.)

Edited by bobzy

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Thug said:

Spoilt brat entitlement?

I understand the want to win silverware, but remember YOU framed it as either or.

The money gained from being IN the champions league, the players attracted by being IN the champions league, the increase in the clubs profile by being IN the champions league completely eclipses the ‘won a European trophy no one gives two **** about’ argument. Stinks of SHA mentality.

I want Villa to succeed.  I want what’s best for Aston Villa.  I can see the long term benefit of being in the champions league over winning the conference cup.  You, on the other hand, want some shitty trophy you can crack one off over.

Calling people ‘spoilt brats’ over seeing sense.  One could argue that YOU, sir, are the spoilt brat - short sighted, and placing your own desires above what is good for the club.

I’ll take both.  But if I had to choose - it would be the champions league every single time.

Who did Leicester sign after they got champions league after winning the league?

More to the point who left Leicester after they won the league and qualified for CL....

Finishing 4th will get forgotten in history winning a trophy will not.

There is no guarantee that finishing 4th means anything other than we will play CL football next season.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

29 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'll come back when we have qualified for 4th and troll all of the comments about us being out on our ass and likely to miss out on top 4...

good luck finding recent comments where people actually think we'll miss out on top 4. discussing permutations isn't people saying it will happen. just that it could happen...because it could. but we're all in agreement that we're much more likely to get 4th than 5th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For my two penny worth. Winning a trophy hasn't done Moyes or West Ham much good.  We have been dreaming of being in the champions league since the MON days and never thought it wouid happen.. its massive for our club. The conference league is a new trophy and whilst it wouid be nice to win it its not the be and end all for me. 

I appreciate the younger supporters who have never seen us win a trophy might mean a lot more to them though.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

good luck finding recent comments where people actually think we'll miss out on top 4. discussing permutations isn't people saying it will happen. just that it could happen...because it could. but we're all in agreement that we're much more likely to get 4th than 5th

I don't need luck, I've read such comments in the last 24 hrs...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

City are on their end of season roll.  Yes, Spurs have a recent good record at home against City but we are at the time of the season where City do the business.  Surely based on what we have seen recently of Spurs, it should see City just walk all over them.  Set pieces with KDB and Foden, with Haaland, Rodri and co towering above the Spurs defence.  

I’ve just got to believe that City will do the business otherwise we may miss out on 4th and City may miss the title.  City need it just as much as us.

I can honestly see City sticking 5 past them the form they're in.

33 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

fill your boots

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

For my two penny worth. Winning a trophy hasn't done Moyes or West Ham much good.  We have been dreaming of being in the champions league since the MON days and never thought it wouid happen.. its massive for our club. The conference league is a new trophy and whilst it wouid be nice to win it its not the be and end all for me. 

I appreciate the younger supporters who have never seen us win a trophy might mean a lot more to them though.

They might have seen us lift the Championship playoff trophy...

• Like 1

Just now, PaulC said:

I’d say it’s done West Ham plenty of good.  Their fans will have absolutely loved the ECL win.

I suppose the question is; what is the aim of football?

If it’s to be successful (to win things) then a trophy would be the indicative factor.

If it’s to be financially comfortable, then qualifying for the CL would be better.

You have to treat both events as a one-off.  You can’t assume year on year success - in either measure - in this league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

fill your boots

I probably won't in truth, I will be too busy reflecting and enjoying our magnificent season of football...

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Who did Leicester sign after they got champions league after winning the league?

More to the point who left Leicester after they won the league and qualified for CL....

Finishing 4th will get forgotten in history winning a trophy will not.

There is no guarantee that finishing 4th means anything other than we will play CL football next season.

All of that is true.  But we can’t progress as a club WITHOUT qualifying for the Champions League, even if doing so guarantees nothing.