Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, John said:

Spurs are likely to beat both Burnley and Sheffield United, but they have to avoid defeat against Manchester City next Tuesday, to have any hope of denying us 4th.

Even if we lose our last two, they would need a point against Manchester City and to make up the 9 goal difference advantage, that we have over them. Both of those are possible, but the first is less so. i really can't see them beating Citeh and I would be shocked if they even got a point.  Not long to go now until (we are Dick & Mutley by the way;)😞

Dick Dastardly won the race by JacobDalton1 on DeviantArt

i really can't see them beating Citeh and I would be shocked if they even got a point. 

Hi John,

Many people are saying the above but Spurs against the odds have done really well againgst Citeh at WHL in recent years. I am nowhere near as confident as most that Citeh will beat them.

I seriously think we need another win! 

9 minutes ago, RichW said:

How much of that is under Hodgson and without Eze and Olise who they are have been without for large periods of the season? Much better side with those fit and their new manager as I’m sure they will show tonight. 

Olise main run of games was Palace worst form of season

End of day we probably dont deserve Champions League if we cant draw or beat Palace

12 hours ago, ben1505 said:

They've played 4 really good sides... they've got two very bang average sides to play

They incredibly average Man City

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Reading through the last pages seems all about if we don't win another game before the end of the season. I think if we need to, we would beat Palace. We would just throw everything at them, not needing to conserve ourselves for another game, there season will already be over, so they won't wanna go in hard and risk injuries, holidays will already be booked.

It won't take that though, as I just cannot see Tottenham beating City. I don't think they are even bothered about 4th place, listening to. 'big Ange', as he wants to keep his job, an with CL next season, he will be seriously under pressure. Don't lose sight of Burnley being the one to watch for Tottenham though, last chance saloon for them, they will be fighting for there status, an I wouldn't fancy that game at the moment.

just to play devil's advocate, they might not need to beat City, a draw "might" give them some hope.

Current goal difference is Villa +20 and Spurs +11.

If Villa do lose both games, say 3-1 to Liverpool and say....2-0 to Palace, thats -4 goals which puts us on +16.

If Spurs draw with City, then beat Burnley and Sheff Utd 4-1, thats +6 goals, which puts them on +17 goals.

So they would get 4th on goal difference.

Im not saying it likely or not, im just saying there are scenarios where a draw against City and wins versus Sheff/Burnley might be enough, if we dont do our part.

On another note, im also assuming that if we had the same GD as spurs, wouldnt they finish ahead of us? (due to the 3 points each in the head to heads, but the GD is 5-2 in their favour over the two games?, not sure thats how it works when you get down to that level if splitting the atom though.

As i say, im not saying any of that will happen, im just saying that Spurs not winning vs City doesnt mathematically guarantee we are 4th.

We will have 6 days off after the Liverpool game and probably a bigger pool of players to choose from.  I'm sure we will win against Palace, if that's what it really ends up coming down to.

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

i really can't see them beating Citeh and I would be shocked if they even got a point. 

Hi John,

Many people are saying the above but Spurs against the odds have done really well againgst Citeh at WHL in recent years. I am nowhere near as confident as most that Citeh will beat them.

I seriously think we need another win! 

True but not under Ange playing the style they do and his persistence with applying the same philosophy under any circumstances. They’ll get absolutely torched by City put my house on it. If Liverpool did what they did to them imagine the field day Foden, Rodri, Doku and Haaland are going to have!! Relax people City aren’t losing the title with a shit performance to Spuds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

just to play devil's advocate, they might not need to beat City, a draw "might" give them some hope.

If Villa do lose both games, say 3-1 to Liverpool and say....2-0 to Palace, thats -4 goals which puts us on +16.

If Spurs draw with City, then beat Burnley and Sheff Utd 4-1, thats +6 goals, which puts them on +17 goals.

Im not saying it likely or not, im just saying there are scenarios where a draw against City and wins versus Sheff/Burnley might be enough, if we dont do our part.

On another note, im also assuming that if we had the same GD as spurs, wouldnt they finish ahead of us? (due to the 3 points each in the head to heads, but the GD is 5-2 in their favour over the two games?, not sure thats how it works when you get down to that level if splitting the atom though.

As i say, im not saying any of that will happen, im just saying that Spurs not winning vs City doesnt mathematically guarantee we are 4th.

Goals For Total is the next criteria after GD

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah, the critera is per below:

If ... sides finish level on points, goal difference and goals scored they will then be judged on points won in head-to-head games between them.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13110690/premier-league-how-teams-will-be-separated-if-level-on-points-and-goal-difference-at-end-of-season#:~:text=If that gap is bridged,to-head games between them.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

ah ok thanks, so in that scenario they would finish above us on same points, same GD.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

ah ok thanks, so in that scenario they would finish above us on same points, same GD.

No, we've scored more.

Immense work from our entire squad to get where we are. this amount of injuries and fatigue would ruin most club’s seasons. Yet, we are having one of our best seasons for a long long time. Imagine where we could have been if the squad was fit the whole time. Maybe in the title race. 

• Like 1

The other thing with that Spurs v City game is the Arsenal angle, I think although players will want to win it will cause a strange atmosphere in the stadium as plenty would give up 4th to stop Arsenal winning the league

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We will have 6 days off after the Liverpool game and probably a bigger pool of players to choose from.  I'm sure we will win against Palace, if that's what it really ends up coming down to.

Also, any player with a minor knock will be made available if we require points against Crystal Palace.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Id do the lottery this week aswell chap.😂

17 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

No, we've scored more.

if we end up in a scenario where they are on 67 points, and so are we after 38 games, its likely at that point they would have scored more than us.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Id do the lottery this week aswell chap.😂

i didnt say it would happen.