Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Ben Davies out for the rest of the season now.

Not sure what Spurs even do at LB now, start Emerson Royal and move Porro to LB? Palmer will be all over the space he leaves behind.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure what Spurs even do at LB now, start Emerson Royal and move Porro to LB? Palmer will be all over the space he leaves behind.

And Timo Werner out for rest of season. Not sure how significant these injuries are for them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs fans seem to think they could go to a back 3 with vdv playing on the left or Royal at LB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Spurs fans seem to think they could go to a back 3 with vdv playing on the left or Royal at LB. 

Then they probably give more heed to defence than Big Flange does.

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That might actually benefit them 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

That might actually benefit them 🤣

The Werner one definitely will. That's terrible news for us. Davies is all they have at leftback though, so to me that's the significant one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Madueke terrorised Digne, who is at least a competent LB. Imagine what he’d do to Spurs makeshift guy. Also palmer comes off the left too.. it’s going to be interesting to see Chelsea trying to exploit that area

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Madueke terrorised Digne, who is at least a competent LB. Imagine what he’d do to Spurs makeshift guy. Also palmer comes off the left too.. it’s going to be an interesting to see Chelsea trying to exploit that area

It'll be Emerson Royal playing inverted, and he'll get turned inside out by Palmer and Madueke.

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

And Timo Werner out for rest of season. Not sure how significant these injuries are for them.

Werner been as bad for them as he was for Chelsea so that isn't a loss for Spurs at all, if anything moving Son back to the left and Richarlison back as CF will give them more attacking impetus. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Werner been as bad for them as he was for Chelsea so that isn't a loss for Spurs at all, if anything moving Son back to the left and Richarlison back as CF will give them more attacking impetus. 

Tbf Werner has caused teams problems whenever I've seen him, and I'm not a fan of his at all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf Werner has caused teams problems whenever I've seen him, and I'm not a fan of his at all.

Agreed, he's classic Premier League Werner. Can't finish but stretches side and can put in some good low crosses/ cutbacks.

Plus less players for their compact schedule can only be a bonus. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

No. I'm talking about the Cup Winners Cup.

Tbh i wasn’t too much aware of this may have been abit young but now i look it up i think i can remember this briefly but not sure what to make of it… seems like some good teams were involved in it.

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well like Simon Jordan said, Aston Villa are not punching above their weight; they’re punching towards their weight.

In my head at least, we’re the 4th biggest and most successful club in this land. Chelsea & Man City have doped their way to overtaking us in the Major Trophies Honours list, but I dont count that BS. We are still 4th and thats despite winning diddly squat since ‘96.

Couldn’t agree more sadly many wont view it that way and of course the limelight teams as you mention will get more global recognition and merit but we are a gigantic club we probably may need to remind some of our younger fanbase but they may laugh, im pretty sure we won the most trophies up until the 80’s aside United and Liverpool… time to claw it all back and get those glory days back, we’ve suffered the last 20 years despite some top 6 challenges. 

Cannot believe im on the verge of seeing us potentially qualify for Champions League… Emery gets a statue from me for that alone 🤝

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

WHY ON EARTH is the title to this thread still 'Race...' !?

Shouldn't it be: Casual Springtime Stroll Among the Daises Whilst Absentmindedly Humming to Oneself Before Inevitable Confirmation of Champions League

Cos it's Villa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beasley14 said:

Genuinely good players there too! 

Silva is out for them so that list back is a big boost.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well like Simon Jordan said, Aston Villa are not punching above their weight; they’re punching towards their weight.

In my head at least, we’re the 4th biggest and most successful club in this land. Chelsea & Man City have doped their way to overtaking us in the Major Trophies Honours list, but I dont count that BS. We are still 4th and thats despite winning diddly squat since ‘96.

How far back in time do you go though? Huddersfield are 11th in terms of league titles...are they 11th biggest team in the country? Preston were very good before the wars, are they still big club?

Truth is, we've done and won **** all of note since the 80s, and were left behind the current elite. We're not entitled to anything because of history, if we want to be the 4th biggest club we need to prove it on the pitch and build our image season over season (not just one of top 4 finish, that won't be enough to convince anybody).

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

How far back in time do you go though? Huddersfield are 11th in terms of league titles...are they 11th biggest team in the country? Preston were very good before the wars, are they still big club?

Truth is, we've done and won **** all of note since the 80s, and were left behind the current elite. We're not entitled to anything because of history, if we want to be the 4th biggest club we need to prove it on the pitch and build our image season over season (not just one of top 4 finish, that won't be enough to convince anybody).

Where are they when you add all the other trophies?