Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Suddenly after averaging 1.5 points from man city and arsenal our remaining games don't look so bad compared to Spurs...will be close run but to be honest if they can get results v all the top 3 then fair play.

Odds of 5th being a champions league place now just 6.2%. what a farce of an effort from England.

Will be back up to 75% after tonight

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We are actually 75% for top 4. Not 66. And definitely not 51. 

England were over 75% to secure an extra CL spot at one point.  A lot can change, I wouldn't lean too much on those %.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Suddenly after averaging 1.5 points from man city and arsenal our remaining games don't look so bad compared to Spurs...will be close run but to be honest if they can get results v all the top 3 then fair play.

Odds of 5th being a champions league place now just 6.2%. what a farce of an effort from England.

I blame Gareth Southgate. He's go too much to answer for.

It would have been nice if England had got that extra spot as a safety net but there's no point worrying too much about things out of your control. All we can control is our own results so just need to concentrate on beating Bournemouth (after Lille of course)

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

England were over 75% to secure an extra CL spot at one point.  A lot can change, I wouldn't lean too much on those %.

That’s true. Things can go wrong. But it takes a lot to go wrong when the odds are stacked in your favour initially. Almost everything had to go right for Germany, while the English teams had a horror show. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Will be back up to 75% after tonight

It won't. I actually think all the English clubs are going to get knocked out tonight.

There is no chance England is getting that place now.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

That’s true. Things can go wrong. But it takes a lot to go wrong when the odds are stacked in your favour initially. Almost everything had to go right for Germany, while the English teams had a horror show. 

Apart from Liverpool getting smashed I wasn't actually that surprised by any of the other results though. Always seemed more in the balance than the odds were suggesting to me.

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It won't. I actually think all the English clubs are going to get knocked out tonight.

Wah?  Even us?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Oh no they won't! BL are still pissed, Atalanta have only made semis once in their history and Klopp said they're going for it, and we'll cruise 0-2. CoEffing FC is 75% back on the cards tonight at 10pm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jareth said:

Oh no they won't! BL are still pissed, Atalanta have only made semis once in their history and Klopp said they're going for it, and we'll cruise 0-2. CoEffing FC is 75% back on the cards tonight at 10pm.

Was it you presuming BL are pissed because one player danced for a couple of minutes on a TikTok? 😂 Two out of three are likely out tonight. We've clearly got a tough game. Martinez skewed the scoreline last week.

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Was it you presuming BL are pissed because one player danced for a couple of minutes on a TikTok? 😂

I apologise for nothing. You'll see, you'll all see!!

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Having lived through so much pain for Villa wanting CL so much and making it donor die was stressing me out to no end. Being defeatist is a way of avoiding the pain of failure. 

But what is failure? I think we are now a top 8 side and we can compete for trophies and CL places and win any football game against any side. If we end 7th one season and 5th and get CL another as long as we can be sustainable and compete isn't that success? 

So by that metric this season is a success a resounding one. Nothing that can happen over the final games of the season can really change that 

One I look at it from that perspective life isn't as stressful and every game doesn't bring agonising levels of nerves and stress. 

thing is i think it's really difficult to sustain a europa league campaign whilst being competitive in the league. it's arguably the worst competition to be in. playing good teams so you need to go strong every week (remember we rotated a fair bit in the group games) but without the financial benefits that the CL brings

i'm desperate to qualify for the CL. i want to keep the likes of watkins and emi here and without that there's a chance their heads might be turned. yes it's very easy to say "well if they don't want to be here they can leave" but those 2 are irreplaceable IMO. it totally changes your status as a club. people point to newcastle and how it's not done them many favours but they qualified a year too early. we have enough to get through to the playoff round in the new format so there's no 'group of death' anymore.

whilst on paper it's still improvement and an excellent season, 5th would feel like a failure at this point IMO. i can honestly say i'm going to be more nervous sunday than i will be tonight. sunday's game has occupied more of my mind this week than tonight's to be completely honest...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wah?  Even us?

Hopefully not but don't fancy it after Sunday. After the lord mayor and all that.

Hope I'm wrong of course! 

Edited by GlobalVillan