Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

20 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I just feel like we haven't played consistently well for a long time. Our performances of late leave me feeling more deflated than optimistic. A sign of how far we've come in such a short space of time and how competitive the league is I guess.

Nothing to do with the amount of injuries and suspensions? Or the fact we’re still in Europe? We’ll limp over the line, as these have taken its toll. It’s up to Emery to improve the squad in the coming years so this doesn’t happen.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Which Spuds game hasn't been scheduled yet

Chelsea and mn city?

• Thanks 1

In terms of UEFA coefficient is it worked out on a by game basis, or as a result of the tie? I’m guessing if German sides get knocked out and English teams go through then England can still add to the total but Germany can’t? Is that how it works?

24 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Spurs will beat Chelsea and get something from Newcastle. Can see them getting 10 more points can see us getting 9 or 10  beating Bournemouth Chelsea and Palace. Maybe a draw v Brighton. Obvious defeats to arsenal and liverpool

We’ve beaten Brighton the last 3 times. Even when we were worse. Why not again?

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Nothing to do with the amount of injuries and suspensions? Or the fact we’re still in Europe? We’ll limp over the line, as these have taken its toll. It’s up to Emery to improve the squad in the coming years so this doesn’t happen.

Oh yeah definitely a factor without a doubt.

The potential to win games is there but at the moment with injuries and the leaking of goals...chuck in Europe too

My heart says yes...but I think we will struggle to win 3 more games.

Our hope is 5th is enough 

• Like 1

Hopefully top five will be enough for Champions League and we can just focus on finishing at least 5th which by the looks of it 2 more wins will be enough 

In terms of top 4, think we will need to pull off a surprise result somewhere. Think Spurs will beat Burnley and Sheff Utd (both will be relegated by then) and I think they win one of the fixtures against the top three (Arsenal or Man City at home) as they do fairly well against the top teams. Think they are more than capable of getting 4 points from Newcastle/Chelsea games.

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We scored perfectly legit opening goal that was ruled out that changed course of the game. 

Don’t forget the most blatant pen we didn’t get

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichW said:

Hopefully top five will be enough for Champions League and we can just focus on finishing at least 5th which by the looks of it 2 more wins will be enough 

In terms of top 4, think we will need to pull off a surprise result somewhere. Think Spurs will beat Burnley and Sheff Utd (both will be relegated by then) and I think they win one of the fixtures against the top three (Arsenal or Man City at home) as they do fairly well against the top teams. Think they are more than capable of getting 4 points from Newcastle/Chelsea games.

At the risk of jinxing myself, there’s no way Man U manages to catch us and take 5th. We will get something off of Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton and CP.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not sure what expected has to do with it. Villa were expected to beat relegation fodder Brentford yesterday and failed spectacularly. 

With that being said not all is terrible. Just a healthy debate on form.

My point is that people in here tend to massively overreact to things.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

In terms of UEFA coefficient is it worked out on a by game basis, or as a result of the tie? I’m guessing if German sides get knocked out and English teams go through then England can still add to the total but Germany can’t? Is that how it works?

game basis, points for a win, draw etc.

if all german sides are knocked out, they cant get any more points.

if we still have clubs in europe, we can add points via results.

think of arsenal vs bayern as a 6 pointer.....cus if they can knock bayern out, and pick up points from both legs (win/draw etc), then that would be super dupa.

Just now, Mantis said:

My point is that people in here tend to massively overreact to things.

tbh, i would guess every single football forum is the same?

• Like 2

I don't think 4th will happen. Tottenham have a more able squad then us and we have to deal with suspensions and conference. It's no longer in our hands

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2