Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

We will finish 5th which is what Ive said for the last 6 months now.

Not quite a good enough squad for 4th, too many points already for 6th.

I think Arsenal will knock Bayern put and that will be CL sorted. Even if they don't, we will still get the additional place with the amount of teams we have left in Europe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Can we get 9 points to match my prediction at the 25 games played mark? I’m slightly less confident after today! Six to play and two of those are guaranteed defeats now that we have reverted back to type. 

None of them are guaranteed defeats. The only game you could reasonably pass off as a guaranteed defeat was City away.

9 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Should have gone further and played the U21 team then with that attitude. Shall we give Arsenal a 3-0 walkover now to save time? It’s madness to me to give up a chance at points at this stage of the season. 

What if, playing a rotated team v City, is what got us a point v Brentford?

If we get 2 wins and a draw from our remaining fixtures and Man U lose tomorrow.. they’d need to win all of their remaining 7 games to catch us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What if, playing a rotated team v City, is what got us a point v Brentford?

Yeah I think people don't really consider this. It works both ways.

Also, it's ridiculous how much people are exaggerating the changes against City. The way people were acting you'd think we put out the reserves.

• Like 2

Calmed down a bit. It’s a terrible result but we’re still 4th with the points on the board. 

For context, if we’d beat SU and Brentford today and drawn with City and Arsenal we’d be using the word exceptional and we’d have the same points. 

even if you switch the win loss with spurs to 2 draws we’d have a point less and we’d still be delighted. 

we need probably 5 points to completely guarantee 5th and 10 to have a good chance at 4th

bring it on 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

None of them are guaranteed defeats. The only game you could reasonably pass off as a guaranteed defeat was City away.

Im gonna say Arsenal away and Liverpool at home are guaranteed defeats at this point. There isn’t a chance we are getting anything from those. I’ll be amazed if we achieved a single point. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Im gonna say Arsenal away and Liverpool at home are guaranteed defeats at this point. There isn’t a chance we are getting anything from those. I’ll be amazed if we achieved a single point. 

If I had to bet I'd bet on us getting zero points from those games but not really sure where you're getting this "guaranteed defeat" stuff from? A fixture can be very difficult without being a guaranteed loss. Why does everything have to be so extreme?

You don’t play weakened teams in the league when you're occupying 4th spot.  You concentrate on the game in front of you and you put a team out that you think gives you the best possible chance of points. We never did that against city and in a way sacrificed that game for today in which we get beat anyway. Not saying we would have got anything against city with those players rested but it’s not the point .

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

There's no reason we can't get draws in those games.  Thank God Unai isn't this defeatist.  All teams can lose and win points against the grain at this time of year.  If Liverpool win tomorrow then we need 6 points in 6 games for 5th, we are still in a really strong position.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

You don’t play weakened teams in the league when you're occupying 4th spot.  You concentrate on the game in front of you and you put a team out that you think gives you the best possible chance of points. We never did that against city and in a way sacrificed that game for today in which we get beat anyway. Not saying we would have got anything against city with those players rested but it’s not the point .

We have a squad wrecked with injuries/suspensions. When you're playing the number of games we've been playing this season it's literally impossible to simply put out your best team every game. You have to rotate.

Also, we didn't get beat today?

16 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

If we get 2 wins and a draw from our remaining fixtures and Man U lose tomorrow.. they’d need to win all of their remaining 7 games to catch us.

This has made me feel better thanks 

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I had us winning this and drawing with Brighton. Guess we will have to beat Brighton

Brentford are out bogey team, we are Brightons. Could easily happen for sure. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We have a squad wrecked with injuries/suspensions. When you're playing the number of games we've been playing this season it's literally impossible to simply put out your best team every game. You have to rotate.

We rested players for today I assume? I know it’s tough going but I simply can’t have us resting players when we are sitting 4th going to city who are only a few points ahead(at the time) in 3rd . I’m not downplaying injuries etc but it was an hard pill to swallow for me. We rested Bailey and he was off the pace today. We’ll all have our opinions and either is right or wrong but we are all still behind the team and manager. I saw it today the fans were great, and the team got clapped off even though many of us were very disappointed.

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Correct but we also dropped 2 points. It depends what spurs do. I would think they get 4th now.

41 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We will finish 5th which is what Ive said for the last 6 months now.

Not quite a good enough squad for 4th, too many points already for 6th.

I think Arsenal will knock Bayern put and that will be CL sorted. Even if they don't, we will still get the additional place with the amount of teams we have left in Europe.

Someone brought up GD being a good indicator of League placing at end of the season the other day.

Ironically I was looking at the table today and we have the highest GD behind Tottenham as it stands, which would seem to somewhat correlate.

I also did say since beginning of season that 5th would be like out title.

However the manner in which we have surrendered 4th ( Obviously not a guarantee, but based on current momentum and stats ) is still frustrating. Own worst enemy... handed over.

We are well capable of pulling off a shock result or two either way and it's not over yet.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Injuries are unavoidable to an extent, but the suspensions are really costing us this season. If Kamara doesn't get that red I reckon we beat Sheffield and Man U at Christmas. McGinn's red probably cost us at least a couple points. And now we'll see how we do without Luiz -- Bournemouth game is an absolute must win, possibly just to keep fifth under control.

• Like 1