Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

If we get it then we'll be ready, this season is Unai's blueprint for handling Europe and the league, only difference will be harder opposition in Europe. If we improve this summer there's no reason to think we can't be competitive in both competitions. 

• Like 1

It feels like my life flashes by so quickly these days and yet this Premier League run in seems to be taking an eternity.  I just want it all to be mathematically certain (yes I know it's extremely unlikely Utd can catch us).  A draw or Chelsea win tonight would at least be another step on the way so come on you cockney clearings in the woods.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It feels like my life flashes by so quickly these days and yet this Premier League run in seems to be taking an eternity.  I just want it all to be mathematically certain (yes I know it's extremely unlikely Utd can catch us).  A draw or Chelsea win tonight would at least be another step on the way so come on you cockney clearings in the woods.

I won’t be happy till we know 5th gets Champions League. We have it in our own hands both in terms of the league and Europe.

• Like 3

I think if Chelsea win tonight (and especially if Liverpool beat United at the weekend), it's all eyes on Europe - we'd need maybe 4 points from our last seven games to leave us in a Champions league performance if the English teams (including us) perform in Europe.

We might only need to beat Brentford and Lille to qualify.

• Like 2

So I wonder if the plan is to throw the Arsenal game as well then? Prioritise the conference league and the other lesser teams remaining in the prem?  I say throw the game, but I mean ‘field a slightly weaker side’… 

Edited by Tayls

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So I wonder if the plan is to throw the Arsenal game as well then? Prioritise the conference league and the other lesser teams remaining in the prem?  I say throw the game, but I mean ‘field a slightly weaker side’… 

I think this will happen if we can't select a near to full strength side. Emery plays the odds.

The best thing about qualifying for the CL is that it reduces the chance of any of our best players leaving. For once we could have the opportunity to solidify and push on.

It’s funny to read that some Villafans haven’t experienced us in Europe. I remember the first years we stopped participating, it was like something was really unusual and wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, picicata said:

Out interest, is the Europa League changing to the same format as the CL?

Asking for a Man Utd supporting friend

Yes, all 3 competitions will follow the same format. No dropping down competitions anymore either.

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

Yes, but unfortunately Chelsea are also terrible. Let's hope they have one of their good days.

With Enzo, Caciedo and Gallagher they should have enough to dominate Man. United's static midfield. Have to hope all their chances fall to Cole Palmer.

I could see them winning tonight as they'll have plenty of the ball.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if Chelsea win tonight (and especially if Liverpool beat United at the weekend), it's all eyes on Europe - we'd need maybe 4 points from our last seven games to leave us in a Champions league performance if the English teams (including us) perform in Europe.

We might only need to beat Brentford and Lille to qualify.

Pretty much. If Man. United lose their next two their maximum for the season goes down to 69 points. And they will clearly drop some more points in the run in so could need less than a point a game for 65-66 points being good enough for top 5.

Formula in europe I assume is Arsenal and Man. City winning so that knocks out German and Spanish team and then you have an all English SF so that pretty much guarantees the co-efficient being high enough I assume.

• Like 2

I'm much more concerned about fifth place not getting CL than us staying in the top five to be honest. Really need Arsenal to beat Bayern.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, all 3 competitions will follow the same format. No dropping down competitions anymore either.

That is much better. It completely devalued the Europa league in my eyes, it’s like you’re a loser but here’s a second bite of the cherry in a comp you might win.

• Like 1

It really wouldn't surprise me if Manchester United won tonight, have seen it so many times before, they receive widespread criticism and ridicule for a bad result and performance, and then they go an win the next game

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

It really wouldn't surprise me if Manchester United won tonight, have seen it so many times before, they receive widespread criticism and ridicule for a bad result and performance, and then they go an win the next game

If they lose tonight I will feel confident top 5 is done but if they win the gap is down to 8 with a game in hand so wouldn't be entirely comfortable.

Chelsea winning, wonderful, hopefully by the end of tonight we have top five pretty much locked down, and it's barely April. An incredible achievement in itself (especially when you consider we've lost twice to the team in sixth!)