Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, PieFacE said:

I'm also assuming that because Konsa's cross went in it had a low xG value? Whereas if Duran just headed it into an open net it would have been high? 

Yes true. I forgot about Konsa Alberto’s goal. 😂

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think that Ait Nouri chance was very high. However he’s a left back. For me Robbie fowler getting that chance should have a higher XG than a left back who’s scored once in his whole career. 

I dunno, Robbie Fowler must be nearly 60 at this stage.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I'm also assuming that because Konsa's cross went in it had a low xG value? Whereas if Duran just headed it into an open net it would have been high? 

That's a very good point actually, I'm not sure how that works!

2 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

I think when we finish next Thursday, we will look back and think it was a good decision to save players tonight in a game we probably would have lost anyway. Win against Brentford and Lille woukd put us very much in charge of our own success this season. And saving players and giving fringe players game time will certainly improve our odds in our two next matches, that are of extreme importance.

Exactly what I’ve been saying in the match threads, I don’t get why some don’t see this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think that Ait Nouri chance was very high. However he’s a left back. For me Robbie fowler getting that chance should have a higher XG than a left back who’s scored once in his whole career. 

That's partly why I think xG is a bit shit or it's at least let down by that. Kane is going to be more likely to score a one on one than Maguire. You'd literally 'expect a goal' more often but the stat classes it as the same.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

have we blew it? its over?

Did any Villa fan have us winning or drawing at City in their predicted final league tables and that got us fourth.  I think everybody had this down as one of our losses.  This was always just a possible bonus night but as it happens we didn’t get a bonus 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yes - Konsa's goal had a very low xG whereas Alt-Nouri's attempt had a very high xG. Funny hearing Gary talk about xG as Wolves are near bottom if that's the metric he wants to use.

On a match by match basis - it's really nothing to judge ourselves by as there's loads of other metrics that can add additional context.

As a whole - we're not undeserving of the place we're at.

xG is a trending metric - not a match by match metric. Our rolling xG has us even in most of our matches - which is about right. We're not blowing doors off opponents - we're managing our way over the finish line and trying to turn it up a few matches at a time at this point.

Tonight's match not included below - I don't think it changes much.

image.png.c4150ee74ec2711578f7a1c1df781511.png

• Like 1

I expected Spurs to beat West Ham and us to lose tonight irrespective of team. Hopefully City go on their usual end of season winning run now as we will need them to be in a position where they have to beat Spurs. The date for that game hasn’t been arranged yet, which could work against us if it’s played in the last week of the season with City having nothing to play for. 

xG is a bit like GD. Over a whole season it’s a good guide re where you should finish. Nothing more. 

I was impressed by our back up forward players today. Gives me more hope if anything. 

• Like 2

Its good to Emery wanting to give a bit of confidence to city for the game against Madrid. They looked a bit down after Arsenal.

Annoys me as with a lot of injuries we’ve then gone ahead and rested some of our most important players in Torres, Tielemans and Bailey. Maybe Emery knows best and they needed resting but it feels very much like a game thrown away to me.

Like Emery just said, we forget tonight now and move on to the very much winnable games coming up. We are in fourth and in a good place generally with players to come back in with some energy in reserve for the run in.