Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

45 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That cocking up from 2-0 vs them is good for another good few years of mental scarring 

absolutely, when we play them we are cursed 🤣

But on the whole they are terrible

Fully expect Man Utd to beat Sheff Utd at home with their game in hand but always felt this week was a big week in terms of the top 5. Felt they would drop points against Brentford so when Mount scored it was really annoying but thankfully Brentford scored and got the point which they deserved as an absolute minimum. 

In a way I think the West Ham and Chelsea results last weekend could be a positive for us. After throwing away a 3-1 lead they need to bounce back from that and they are at home against Spurs. Take away the 6-0 loss to Arsenal, West Ham don’t lose at home much. I’m half expecting Spurs to drop points there like we did. 

Chelsea/Man Utd is a tough one to call. Both are as bad as each other. Again I don’t think Man Utd will win here I wouldn’t be surprised if this is another draw but that Burnley result was bad for Chelsea, especially against 10 men. They will treat this as a big home game I feel. 

Not expecting anything against Man City but we play Brentford before Man Utd play Liverpool. We can possibly be 13/14 points clear before they head into that game. Can they beat Liverpool twice at OT? I’m not confident they can especially as Liverpool need to keep up with the title race. 

After this weekend, we will have 6 games left and it will be a case of hoping top 5 is enough for Champions League rather than worrying about Man Utd! I’m excited. 

So so so boring reading constantly tediously posts about people petrified of Man. United when they're a full 11 points off us with 9 to play. Do some not understand how near impossible that is to overhaul at this stage of the season?

Interesting enough at this stage of last season we were 9 points off Man. United and never really got close to them despite having a very good run up to the end of April:

Aston Villa 2-0 Nottingham Forest: Villa close in on Europe - BBC Sport

Even if we get nothing at Man. City the key is beating Brentford. Do that and they get a draw at Chelsea and lose at home to Liverpool and we're 13 points clear of them with 7 left to play and it's over then as we'd then have to barely pick up a point in the run in for them to get seriously close.

If they concede 20 + shots to Liverpool they certainly won't be winning that game. Would say Chelsea aswell but we know how useless they are at finishing off simple chances.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I haven't seen any mention of it on here, and I doubt it will be mentioned in the build up to the game by the media, but we do as we did the last time we played them and beat City on Wednesday then we'll be just 2 points behind them. 

Still, it's important we all remember...

We're 9 points off top, but not in the title race.

Utd are 11 points behind us, but they are in the race for top 4.

Got it? Good.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, omariqy said:

After today's match I don't fancy either of Arsenal or Man City in the UCL. 

I think if Arsenal can be as disciplined in Munich as they were yesterday they can probably get a away win and then win reasonable comfortably at the Emirates. That's the key match in the 5th place CL battle as think Leverkusen will dispatch West Ham.

Im more worried about a stuttering man city against real Madrid.

Need them to win to take the pressure off having to get 4th

• Like 4

We'll get to the point where Man Utd can't actually catch us "mathematically" and people will still be worried that we'll get a points deduction or they'll get a points addition :D 

They're done. They've been done for a long time for everyone except Gary Neville. They're more likely to finish in the bottom half than they are 5th.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's so many people in this thread who haven't yet internalised how good our manager is. With all respect due to important managers from our history, we're not being managed by John Gregory or Martin O'Neill, this guy is one of the top 20 managers in world football (and I say that conservatively). We're not just going to go on the kind of massive losing streak that would in practice be required for Man Utd to catch us. 

We're good now, cheer up!

Since they failed to win at Brentford, I haven't seen any posts that predict Man United finish above us. Not a single one.

However there are a lot of posters "responding" to those non existent posts, telling people to relax calm down etc, when nobody is even claiming it. Weird.

We all agree that Man United aren't finishing above us.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, fightoffyour said:

We'll get to the point where Man Utd can't actually catch us "mathematically" and people will still be worried that we'll get a points deduction or they'll get a points addition :D 

They're done. They've been done for a long time for everyone except Gary Neville. They're more likely to finish in the bottom half than they are 5th.

It was quite nice watching Neville admitting defeat on his pod

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I'm far less worried about Man United than I am about doing our part to help get the extra CL spot.

The most important thing we can do for our chances of CL football is actually winning the Conference League.

Amen 

Honestly, I think we’ll finish 5th. Spurs have the slightly easier run and we have more games to play. I won’t care at all as long as 5th gets CL, this is the most crucial thing of all and we do have a partial say in that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Since they failed to win at Brentford, I haven't seen any posts that predict Man United finish above us. Not a single one.

However there are a lot of posters "responding" to those non existent posts, telling people to relax calm down etc, when nobody is even claiming it. Weird.

We all agree that Man United aren't finishing above us.

The point is they're not even going to get close, and they wouldn't have done if they'd beaten Brentford either. 

We basically just need two wins and it becomes pretty much impossible for man utd to get past us unless they go on a ridiculous win nearly every game type of run which they are just not going to do. 

• Like 2