Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

they could be playing that on the same night as we play a potential SF!

this would be interesting as they'd either end up with Arsenal - Chelsea - Liverpool in 8 days or Liverpool - Chelsea - Burnley - Man City - Sheff Utd 5 games in 15 days at the end

But basically their easier on paper run in could get a bit more congested and the 2 games to squeeze in somewhere are far from easy.

• Like 2

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

this would be interesting as they'd either end up with Arsenal - Chelsea - Liverpool in 8 days or Liverpool - Chelsea - Burnley - Man City - Sheff Utd 5 games in 15 days at the end

But basically their easier on paper run in could get a bit more congested and the 2 games to squeeze in somewhere are far from easy.

They probably don't want to show it on a CL night as it will get good viewing figures so could see it being put on a Thursday. Met are probably waiting to see if West Ham get through as they wouldn't want to police both games on the same night, same for Arsenal aswell.

Will be played in early May would be my guess.

13 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Question about long term CL qualification - presumably UEFA are having this qualification system every season? So 5th might be enough every season if English teams are in the top 2 coefficient?

Yes - it’s going to create a self fulfilling cycle - but that’s good for the competition if more top prem teams are in it 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

A zero goal difference for the season tells you all you need to know.

Goal difference is historically a very good indicator of final league position. Look at the table, and barring a few anomalies - Man Utd being the biggest - you can sort the PL by GD without much changing.

Essentially, as we can already see, they  are in a falsely high position.

• Like 2

The positive for us about spurs is they only know one way of playing - 100 miles per hour. 

These derbies v west ham, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to be combustible and hopefully the fixture congestion in the final few weeks will catch up with them and at the very least balance out our additional European fixtures.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The positive for us about spurs is they only know one way of playing - 100 miles per hour. 

Yeah, they've been fortunate to have gone out of both cups early as well (as have we, frustrating as it was). Im not sure they'll cope well with Europe, cups and league next season playing that way. Could end up being next season's Newcastle with a load of injuries

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

That’s pretty much guaranteed, there’s a reason why Guardiola, Emery etc don’t play that way and it’s because they know it’s not sustainable. Bielsa, Howe, Ange are all cut from a similar cloth. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

These derbies v west ham, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to be combustible and hopefully the fixture congestion in the final few weeks will catch up with them and at the very least balance out our additional European fixtures.

West Ham is a horrible match up for them. Moyes will play about 8 back and then spring counters

I can't claim to predict everything that will happen in the Brentford game but I'm pretty sure that Neil Maupay will wind zaniolo and Duran up to breaking point and they will both get sent off for attempted murder 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I can't claim to predict everything that will happen in the Brentford game but I'm pretty sure that Neil Maupay will wind zaniolo and Duran up to breaking point and they will both get sent off for attempted murder 

Rogers will just pick him and put him in his pocket

1 minute ago, beasley14 said:

Am I right in saying that Wolves are the first top 10 team we've beaten this year?

Ermmmm. 

EDIT: Oh hold up, you mean 2024!

Edited by Rolta

I think we're due another 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 performance and will record a big win against someone soon. Diaby, Watkins, Duran, Bailey, Rogers, Zaniolo, Ramsey, McGinn, Luiz, if they all put it together at the same time it will be well cool 🥶

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

After today's match I don't fancy either of Arsenal or Man City in the UCL. 

I had the same thought. I’m hoping they just cancelled each other out.

18 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I had the same thought. I’m hoping they just cancelled each other out.

Partly this, partly first game back after internationals with less than a weeks prep.  How many teams played well this weekend?