Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think at max Man. United will get about 64-65 points with what they have left so would mean we just need a point a game to finish above them so it's well within our capabilities. 

Us getting 1 point a game would mean Emery's worst ever run with us by a mile, and probably one of the worst runs of his career.

Why would that randomly happen?

We're fine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Us getting 1 point a game would mean Emery's worst ever run with us by a mile, and probably one of the worst runs of his career.

Why would that randomly happen?

We're fine.

I think we are playing at 1.5ppg level at the moment. We maintain that then we will get 70 points. More than enough for 5th. 4th will be a stretch. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

Still worried about Man U. They win that game in hand and they are only 6 points behind us. To rule them out would be foolish in my view. 

We have an 18 goal difference that’s basically feels like a 9 point gap even if they win their game in hand. They aren’t in the running for 4th. Spurs have a 17 goal advantage over United too. 

Edited by The_Steve

We basically need to win our next three home games v wolves, Bournemouth and brentford and hopefully we get at least one draw v man city and Arsenal away. That will leave us on at least 65 points. 

That should leave us in a good place to secure 5th and really battle it out for fourth irrespective of what man utd and Spurs do. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We basically need to win our next three home games v wolves, Bournemouth and brentford and hopefully we get at least one draw v man city and Arsenal away. That will leave us on at least 65 points. 

That should leave us in a good place to secure 5th and really battle it out for fourth irrespective of what man utd and Spurs do. 

Add in a home win against Chelsea and we'd be on at least 68. 

22 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

It’s likely that Chelsea’s game against Brighton will be moved to midweek so could work in our favour as it would be a few days before our game with them. 

International break has come at the right time for us I think. Time to take stock ready for the final 9 games. 

I know Man Utd are currently 9 points behind us and we have a much more favourable goal difference but I think the next 3 games are important for us in terms of sealing top 5.

Man Utd  - Brentford(a), Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h)

Us - Wolves(h), Man City(a), Brentford(h) 

Spurs -  Luton(h), West Ham(a), Forest(h)

Difficult to predict football as the Premier League throws up surprises but I'd like to think there's a chance we can get 6 points, Spurs potentially 7. Man Utd could easily lose all three of them - possibly nick a win against Brentford. Hopefully have an even more healthy gap over them after that and would also keep us ahead of Spurs before they hit some tough fixtures. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichW said:

International break has come at the right time for us I think. Time to take stock ready for the final 9 games. 

I know Man Utd are currently 9 points behind us and we have a much more favourable goal difference but I think the next 3 games are important for us in terms of sealing top 5.

Man Utd  - Brentford(a), Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h)

Us - Wolves(h), Man City(a), Brentford(h) 

Spurs -  Luton(h), West Ham(a), Forest(h)

Difficult to predict football as the Premier League throws up surprises but I'd like to think there's a chance we can get 6 points, Spurs potentially 7. Man Utd could easily lose all three of them - possibly nick a win against Brentford. Hopefully have an even more healthy gap over them after that and would also keep us ahead of Spurs before they hit some tough fixtures. 

Potential banana skins for Spurs, especially West Ham, they’ll raise their game for a London derby, and Spurs struggle even more than we do against a low block.

• Like 3

The next 4 games are key - partly because they represent a large proportion of the remaining fixtures (:D), but also for the mental side of sides in the battle:

Villa:  Wolves (H), Man City (A), Brentford (H), Arsenal (A) (Lille tie either side of Arsenal game)
Spurs:  Luton (H), West Ham (A), Forest (H), Newcastle (A)
Man Utd:  Brentford (A), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H), Bournemouth (A)

As things stand, there are no games in hand being played during this 4 game period - so we have a 3 points lead over Spurs and 9 points over Man Utd.

Obviously there's no easy game etc etc, but pessimistically (from a Villa POV, of course) I'd give each side:

Villa - 4 points
Spurs - 10 points
Man Utd - 7 points

This loosely assumes that we take 4 points from the two home games and lose the away ones.  Spurs will drop 2 points at either West Ham or Newcastle (more likely than the home fixtures) and Man Utd beat both Brentford and Bournemouth away whilst taking a point elsewhere (feels unlikely, to be honest).  We'd then have:

Spurs - 63 points
Villa - 60 points
Man Utd - 54 points

...heading into the final few games.  These are:

Villa:  Bournemouth (H), Chelsea (H), Brighton (A), Liverpool (H), Palace (A)
Spurs:  Man City (H), Arsenal (H), Liverpool (A), Burnley (H), Sheff Utd (A) and Chelsea (A) (to be arranged)
Man Utd:  Newcastle (H), Burnley (H), Palace (A), Arsenal (H), Brighton (A) and Sheff Utd (H) (to be arranged)

Again, being pessimistic, let's assume we get 4 points, Spurs get 9 points and Man Utd get 12 points.  End of the season table would be:

Spurs - 72 points
Man Utd - 66 points
Villa - 64 points

So whilst, yes, we may not finish 4th, I think it would need a fairly substantial shift in fortunes for both us and Man Utd for us not to finish 5th.  This can obviously happen, but it just feels really unlikely.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

We certainly need to be getting 10 points at home in the games left so winning three of them is a must. Chelsea is complicated a bit by playing them three days after the Lille second leg.

Ultimately we dug out a very good point yesterday so think we can get something similar as usual at Brighton and then on the final day get what we need at Palace. Would help if Palace are already safe by then, think Forest are getting a big points deduction announced today so that will help.

70 points is realistic still and that would all but rule Man. United out of the running and ask plenty of Spurs as given what they produced on Saturday they will lose more games in the run in.

• Like 1

I’ll be hoping hammers can beat spurs in their game on the 2nd April…in the meantime we can do the double over city and finally beat wolves XD

fwiw I’ve got a feeling champions league might go to 5th place this year too 

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The next 4 games are key - partly because they represent a large proportion of the remaining fixtures (:D), but also for the mental side of sides in the battle:

Villa:  Wolves (H), Man City (A), Brentford (H), Arsenal (A) (Lille tie either side of Arsenal game)

Spurs:  Man City (H), Arsenal (H), Liverpool (A), Burnley (H), Sheff Utd (A) and Chelsea (A) (to be arranged)
Man Utd:  Newcastle (H), Burnley (H), Palace (A), Arsenal (H), Brighton (A) and Sheff Utd (H) (to be arranged)

Again, being pessimistic, let's assume we get 4 points, Spurs get 9 points and Man Utd get 12 points.  End of the season table would be:

Spurs - 72 points
Man Utd - 66 points
Villa - 64 points

So whilst, yes, we may not finish 4th, I think it would need a fairly substantial shift in fortunes for both us and Man Utd for us not to finish 5th.  This can obviously happen, but it just feels really unlikely.

Looking at those fixtures I have the table finishing as

Spurs - 69

Villa - 68

Utd - 67

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As things stand, there are no games in hand being played during this 4 game period - so we have a 3 points lead over Spurs and 9 points over Man Utd.

Obviously there's no easy game etc etc, but pessimistically (from a Villa POV, of course) I'd give each side:

Villa - 4 points
Spurs - 10 points
Man Utd - 7 points

This loosely assumes that we take 4 points from the two home games and lose the away ones.  Spurs will drop 2 points at either West Ham or Newcastle (more likely than the home fixtures) and Man Utd beat both Brentford and Bournemouth away whilst taking a point elsewhere (feels unlikely, to be honest).  We'd then have:

Spurs - 63 points
Villa - 60 points
Man Utd - 54 points

...heading into the final few games.  These are:

Spurs - 72 points
Man Utd - 66 points
Villa - 64 points

I'd guess 

Villa 13 points from those fixtures, Spurs 16th points and United 15 points. 

We end the season in 5th (and qualifying for Champs League) and as Europa Conference League Winners. 

Thank you very much. Same again next year.. except a different trophy obviously.

If we can still be fourth in the table after the next four games then we will be in a strong position, as we will have played our two toughest remaining fixtures, and Spurs will then be going ino a run of fixtures where they have to play Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool in succession

That West Ham and Newcastle can still qualify for Europe will hopefully work in our favor, both more than capable of beating Spurs at home, before West Ham and Newcastle play Spurs they play each other, a Newcastle win in that would probably be better for us, as means they will have more to play for going into the Spurs game, West Ham already have 44 points so will still be in contention for top six or seven, and they will always be motivated to beat Spurs no matter what

Man Utd games are hard to predict, in isolation they could just as easily win any of the next four as they could lose any one of them, but for sure I don't think they will win them all, or lose them all

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Spurs - 69

Villa - 68

Utd - 67

I think it's asking a lot for Man Utd to be getting 20 points from those games tbh.  Just to lay them all out:

Brentford (A), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H), Bournemouth (A), Newcastle (H), Burnley (H), Palace (A), Arsenal (H), Brighton (A) and Sheff Utd (H).

6 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses.  You'd hope (for them) that Burnley and Sheff Utd at home are bankers.  Tough to really see a nailed on other 4 wins there.  I guess you're looking at Brentford, Bournemouth and Palace (all away) as 3 wins.  Then 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses from Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H), Newcastle (H), Arsenal (H) and Brighton (A) - which is possible but... this Man Utd side?  I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcarpet said:

Spurs - 69

Villa - 68

Utd - 67

Who out of Liverpool and Arsenal have you got Man. United beating? I think they'll get 1 point out of that and lose at Brighton on the final day. Can they even reach 67 points if those results occur?