Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Next season will be the issue even if we make CL.

I'm amazed at the confidence in people thinking we won't do a Newcastle.

We have FFP issues and posters seemingly o.k with us taking a -6 deduction so I don't see the flexibility in being able to attract 3-4 top level players and rotate the squad that way.

If we get a Newcastle type group then we'll be playing a big hitter away on the Wednesday and then possibly playing a Spurs away on the Saturday.

We basically played the first half today dead on our feet and frightened to concede any space so they'll be loads more games like that next season if the fixture list isn't kind as it was in the first half of the season playing bottom half teams at VP straight after europa matches.

Firstly like others said I'd rather just get there and then see how we do, just enjoy it for what it is after all these years 

Secondly we have far more squad depth than Newcastle and a manager who doesn't kill his players every week

The groups have also changed to 1 group so we won't have what they had 

And if we get a FFP punishment or have to flog a key player after that January spending then something is seriously wrong at the club and someone's head should roll, you don't spend what we just spent on who we spent it on if you're over the FFP limit, makes absolutely no sense l, we don't buy Rogers if we are in trouble, we simply don't 

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, Davkaus said:

Indeed. I could easily see us losing 4 of our next 5 PL games tbh

We will still have first choice defenders and attackers playing in all those games.

Bailey and Watkins were massively off it today which was a big problem. Need them back on it v West Ham and Wolves as can certainly put 2-3 past those.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll be 8th-9th in the league this time next season so this forum will be an interesting place if that happens especially if we have to sell a key player in the summer.

I don't think playing one season in CL will be this transformational moment everyone thinks it will be. You need to be making it four seasons out of five and that's a very big ask.

1. Thinking we'll be 8th in the league next season when there are 19 other teams who will have their squads changed and there's still months to go in the current season is a weird take. Almost like a coping mechanism after a heavy defeat to a top 4 rival. 

2. If you want to finish in the top 4 for 4 of 5 seasons, you need to start by finishing in the top 4 once in 30 years. Let's do that first and celebrate it as the amazing achievement it is and see if we can kick on or maintain after. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. You can’t look at 3 games in isolation. You have to look at form over longer periods. 

Thats it, like you said in your previous post we only need to get another 10 points to secure 5th  Which is doable! Manure would have to go on a massive run, they are too inconsistent, they have rode their luck some games, but they will lose more games. 

We would need to go on some kind relegation form to lose 5th. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

That's the spirit. 

When is the last time we actually played well? Sheffield United maybe, and they're an absolute disgrace.

Absolutely battered today, we did well not to drop points to Luton last week, 4-2 against Forest looks comfortable but we conceeded a couple within minutes.

We're a team playing quite badly more often than not, and without McGinn and Kamara I think we're in a lot of trouble.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

5 wins is insane 😂

15 points from here would mean Utd would need 24 to finish ahead of us. That’s 8 wins from 10. 

They’re not capable of that. 

This perfectly shows the magnitude of their task to overtake us. 

If Utd won 8 of their last 10 games we’d only need 15 points from 10 games to beat them. 

I'm just assuming the worst that they actually click and get Hojlund back etc but yeah 4 wins should do it but even then those 4 wins aren't jumping out at me on the fixture list.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

When is the last time we actually played well? Sheffield United maybe, and they're an absolute disgrace.

Absolutely battered today, we did well not to drop points to Luton last week, 4-2 against Forest looks comfortable but we conceeded a couple within minutes.

We're a team playing quite badly more often than not, and without McGinn and Kamara I think we're in a lot of trouble.

This is a manager who has never, in his entire managerial career, lost 4 games in a row. I guess you've *slightly* lightened that by predicting 4 losses in 5, but it would be up there in the absolute worst runs of form he's had as a manager. 

In answer to your question, we beat both Forest and Fulham comfortably. 

• Like 1

We just don't have the squad and quality to be a Top 4 team, the players that are stepping in just aren't performing, we rely too heavily on the same players and our mental strength is poor because we don't have leaders all over the pitch.

You can't underestimate how much having no Mings, Buendia for the whole season and losing Kamara, shot us to bits, then having Ramsey and Torres intermittently at best, whilst Diaby, Duran and Zaniolo have mostly struggled (when fit).

Edited by VillanousOne

Next week is huge. We need to regain the initiative quickly, which we have done this season  following defeats. Another defeat next week and I get the feeling that the season will drift away. The injuries (and McGinn’s suspension) are killing us. The midfield without Kamara and McGinn (and possibly even Ramsey) looks weak.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We should still be beating all of Wolves, Bournemouth and Brentford at VP. None will be easy but we will still have attackers on the pitch who can score 2-3 against that level of opposition.

To get 4th we need to be beating someone like Chelsea at VP now so need completely different mentality to what we produced in the cup replay when we were just refusing to mark them in the box and gifting them free shots and headers.

Also get at least a draw v Liverpool. Who knows on that as they may be out of the title race by then and concentrating on the cups.

It's a far more complicated task than an hour ago that's for sure.

Get over 70 points and Man. United simply won't be a factor.

I think Wolves could be a banana skin. Maybe maximum points from Brentford, Bournemouth and Palace plus a couple of draws would be enough? 🤔

We should concentrate on the Conference League now. CL is not happening with the way things are going. Conference win and 6th would be a great great season. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

We should concentrate on the Conference League now. CL is not happening with the way things are going. Conference win and 6th would be a great great season. 

We’re not finishing lower than 5, get a grip man.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

6th?  You’re having a laugh! Lowest we’ll be is 5th

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

6th?  You’re having a laugh! Lowest we’ll be is 5th

Well that's a great great great season then, if so! I'd really like us to win the Conference though.

It's the hope that gets you isn't it. 

Objectively this is likely to be our best season in close to 30 years, yet I feel even more gutted after a loss compared to when we finished 17th :D 

We've set high standards, can do so much better, so it stings twice as much when we just don't turn up.

• Like 1