Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Diaby or Zaniolo to start you’d think. Would be a huge show of faith to start Rogers though. 

Would imagine it would be Diaby. No way he starts Zaniolo. Genuinely think he’d play Irroegbunam before Zaniolo. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’m 34. Yes we won the European cup before I was born along with a large percentage of Villa fans. Of course it would mean a lot to win the UECL. I’d be f**king delighted. 

I think we can do top 4 and the UECL win tho! 🙌

Exactly so, well said. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

After the United game there were definitely a few on here who were acting as if we'd be lucky to get 4 points. I distinctly recall the phrase "I don't see where our next win is coming from" being uttered.

The fact that everybody knows, or at least people ignore were actually quite good

39 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We have won the European  cup so Conference wouldn't mean as much  to us as it would to West Ham.

It's a trophy which is 2 tiers below what we have already won

lol I’d be running down the street naked if we win that. Keep it in mind we ain’t won zilch since 96 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Pointless conversation. We are winning the UECL and getting 4th.

thank-god.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Winning the playoffs was/is monumentally more of an achievement and memory than winning a Europa Conference League is or would be for a multitude of reasons.

Ask West Ham which they would prefer if given the choice, Europa Conference or Champions League.

Sorry but I'd rather, and WOULD remember the side which got us into Champions League which enabled us the financial windfall and glory to keep our best players and grow as a team and club. ( After decade plus of struggle )

Rather than win a conference league... Finish 7th, lose our best players and reminisce about how Emi Martinez and Douglas Luiz WERE a part of the 2024 lowest tier European competetion cup winning team when we come up against their new clubs in future.

Having said that, both would be nice.

Nah

I'm not speaking to a west ham fan :P 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Of course it would. Winning the play-off final meant the world to the players/fans a few years back. 

Promotion to Preamier League is bigger because of the money at stake

25 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’m 34. Yes we won the European cup before I was born along with a large percentage of Villa fans. Of course it would mean a lot to win the UECL. I’d be f**king delighted. 

I think we can do top 4 and the UECL win tho! 🙌

Completely agree. 

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago and one of the comments was about we shouldn't have a parade if we did win the conference league, couldn't belive what I was hearing, we've not won anything in nearly 30 years I don't understand why we wouldn't want to enjoy that achievement. 

I’m probably in the minority but I’m  struggling to get excited by the Ajax games because I’m so nervous about the spurs and West Ham games. I want to see us in the Champions League just once in my life time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This argument is so ridiculous I cant even believe you said it. We havent won anything for 28 years. A huge percentage of Villa fans have never seen their team win anything. Anyone who remembers the European Cup win will be at least 50 years old now.

We are in no position whatsoever to turn our nose up at ANY cup win. If we win the Conference League I will be jumping for joy. By you logic, we shouldn't have celebrated those two League Cup wins in the 90s because we had won the FA Cup before. Total nonsense.

It's at third rate competition though

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It does kind of feel like a competition mainly for teams that would never have a chance of making Europe without it or have struggled in recent years. I didn’t think for a second we could get top 4 so was all for winning this. Now it feels like a distraction.  Let’s see what team Emery goes with.  

Spurs games is huge, they have a relatively easier fixture list are us compared to us. 3 points so be ideal but better if we just avoid defeat. Hopefully Konsa and Pau for this game

The magic number turns to 5 wins now. 

Can’t shake the feeling that it might go all the way down to Palace away on the last day. 

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yes, that is obvious based on the league position for the teams that qualify compared to CL and EL.

If we win the Conference League, fans will party, there will be an open double decker bus parade in Birmingham, we get a trophy, everybody will be happy.

If we qualify for CL, we get more money and can attract better players, but there will be no party, because it is pathetic to celebrate being 4th.

But I would take CL over winning Conference League, because most likely we would keep our players and can get some even better ones.

• Like 1