Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

21 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think 70+ will be enough for top 5.

It probably will but I’m working under the assumption that we need top 4. We should be aiming for top 4.  If fifth ends up having a spot too I’ll take it of course but we shouldn’t be hoping for a back door way of getting in if we can help it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If united loose tomorrow which they should then thsts an 11 point gap to 5th. Surely we can't finish lower than 5th now.

11 point gap with 11 games to go. They'd need to get 1PPG more than us over the last 11 fixtures. We'd have to have our worst run of 11 fixtures under Emery by some way for that to happen, or for them to win 9 out of 11 or something mad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It probably will but I’m working under the assumption that we need top 4. We should be aiming for top 4.  If fifth ends up having a spot too I’ll take it of course but we shouldn’t be hoping for a back door way of getting in if we can help it. 

Truth be known, I’m looking a little bit higher personally

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We have won the European  cup so Conference wouldn't mean as much  to us as it would to West Ham.

It's a trophy which is 2 tiers below what we have already won

Of course it would. Winning the play-off final meant the world to the players/fans a few years back. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Of course it would. Winning the play-off final meant the world to the players/fans a few years back. 

On the day yes but nobody Will.be talking about it in 40 years time like the 82 European Cup win.

Just now, PaulC said:

On the day yes but nobody Will.be talking about it in 40 years time like the 82 European Cup win.

Two of my best memories as a fan are the League Cup wins in 94 and 96.

I can't remember the real glory days. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I would love to be talking about it in 40 years time, not likely, but bloody hell i  would be

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Id have taken 6 pts out of 9 over the last two fixtures and nexts weeks if you had given me them at start.

After the United game there were definitely a few on here who were acting as if we'd be lucky to get 4 points. I distinctly recall the phrase "I don't see where our next win is coming from" being uttered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Winning the playoffs was/is monumentally more of an achievement and memory than winning a Europa Conference League is or would be for a multitude of reasons.

Ask West Ham which they would prefer if given the choice, Europa Conference or Champions League.

Sorry but I'd rather, and WOULD remember the side which got us into Champions League which enabled us the financial windfall and glory to keep our best players and grow as a team and club. ( After decade plus of struggle )

Rather than win a conference league... Finish 7th, lose our best players and reminisce about how Emi Martinez and Douglas Luiz WERE a part of the 2024 lowest tier European competetion cup winning team when we come up against their new clubs in future.

Having said that, both would be nice.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

1995-96. Finishing 4th, winning the league cup and getting the FA Cup semi-final. What a season. Oh, and 63 points got us 4th!

This is right up there with that!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With Ramsey likely out, what’s our team against Spurs? Gives us a major headache. 

Diaby or Zaniolo to start you’d think. Would be a huge show of faith to start Rogers though. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes the league wins were special and still remembered. Before the glory days under Saunders we had 74 and 77 wins.

• Like 1