Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Still 5 points clear of 6th. Next 3 games all very winnable then a big game against Spurs. Pau and Digne back, hopefully Konsa soon. Let's not give up just yet, we're still getting Champions League football!!

• Like 4

I am usually notoriously pessimistic and I was incandescent during the game but the morning after to be honest we played pretty well and were the better team, playing much better than we have for some time. It's painful we couldn't take advantage of a terrible man u team, I honestly thought we'd go on to win after the equaliser. Our home record against Man U is absolutely abysmal, one win in nearly effing 25 years is shameful. We should have won but they aren't going to have as much luck/onana make so many saves without a clanger/their bang average players have amazing games many more games. Despite an awful run of form we are still 5 points and way better goal difference.

I saw a stat a few games ago saying no team had as many points as us at that stage of the season and not get top five, but I know we have a track record of breaking these unwanted records. Let's hope history changes! We really need to take 9 from the next three and playing like that with Torres to come back I think we will.

1 hour ago, maxjackle said:

I'm actually more confident today than before yesterday's game. We should have won yesterday and it was the best we have played in ages. Play like that and I think we'll come at least fifth.

Having Pau back soon is so huge. We will sort our finishing out. There’s positives from yesterday to take. 

• Like 1

I can't see us picking up points against anybody half decent while this back four is the one being wheeled out. Fate has certainly conspired against us with these injuries! Whilst I don't think individually Lenglet, Carlos, Cash and Moreno are actively bad players by any stretch, it's just a combination that does not seem to work. 

2 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

Still 5 points clear of 6th. Next 3 games all very winnable then a big game against Spurs. Pau and Digne back, hopefully Konsa soon. Let's not give up just yet, we're still getting Champions League football!!

Spurs will potentially be THE season defining game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I can't see us picking up points against anybody half decent while this back four is the one being wheeled out. Fate has certainly conspired against us with these injuries! Whilst I don't think individually Lenglet, Carlos, Cash and Moreno are actively bad players by any stretch, it's just a combination that does not seem to work. 

We created plenty of chances last night to win two games. The back four last night weren’t responsible for all the sitters we missed.

7 minutes ago, wict01 said:

If we finished our chances yesterday we run away with that match, against an in form Man United with a squad value that dwarfs ours.

We play like that for the rest of the season and we beat most teams imo.

So I'm not for entirely blaming the back four, plus Digne and Pau are coming back 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We created plenty of chances last night to win two games. The back four last night weren’t responsible for all the sitters we missed.

It's all about the control aspect I suppose as Emery always says. Without Konsa and Torres, I feel like we lack that control. And when you're giving up chances in the box like that late McTominay one yesterday well, as well as how poor the first was, straight away we're needing to score 3 to win. 

I'm not saying we don't need to improve our finishing, obviously we do, but I'd feel more confident of the front players regaining their spark than this makeshift back four functioning to a high level. 

Putting results aside and just looking at performances how do we explain going from Newcastle > Sheffield Utd > Chelsea > Man Utd. 

Sheffield Utd I get as they are toilet but we still executed really well. 

The rollercoaster nature of our performances must be driving Unai crazy. 

The morning after the defeat and I’m feeling really kind of positive about our Champions League placing.  

Before yesterday’s game I was starting to worry about our performances and wanted to see a performance and I got it.  

Yes we didn’t win, but that’s the performance that will get us wins in the future.  

We get Torres back, Konsa not long after and we will score in another game with the chances we had.

I’m feeling fairly positive today.

• Like 1

I still think we will finish 5th but I can almost guarantee events will conspire so only 4 qualify for the Champions League.  I've been encouraged by our last two league performances and think we will win the next three, especially with Pau and Digne back available.  I'm a bit worried about Kamara coming off though, we could really do with a bit of luck with being able to keep a settled team.

The wins over Man City and Arsenal, unexpected as they were, have been undone by the defeats to Newcastle and Man Utd, two teams we battered at home last season when they were much better than they are this season and we were worse.

8 points from last 7 league games clearly is nowhere near good enough, we have to improve our form but we have a small squad and if Kamara adds to our injury woes by being out for a lengthy period of time then it’s game over. I don’t see Iroegbunam being anywhere near good enough to play that role for us.

It’s pretty obvious Lenglet and Carlos as a partnership isn’t good enough either despite people defending them (it’s cooler it seems to blame our problems on Zaniolo for some weird reason even though he hasn’t been playing). We’ve conceded 11 goals in 7 games with them playing, 4 of those 7 games against teams in the relegation zone I may add, compared to 21 in 17 before that. Not to mention Lenglet’s passing is hugely inferior to Pau’s. I have no idea what is going on with Pau, it feels very odd, he’s made the bench the last 2 games and not come on. It’s obvious he’s our best centre half and has to start the next game and not sit on the bench.

I’m at the stage now where I don’t look forward to watching us. It’s exhausting, I get overly emotional when I shouldn’t, say things I shouldn’t, and get into petty arguments with people. I think that’s what happens when your form goes from title contending level (2+ points a game for over a year) to relegation battling level (just over 1 point per game over 2 months), your mind struggles to understand how a team’s level can drop so drastically even with a couple of injuries. 

Our level is probably about 8th, the Sky 6 spend more than us and have better squads and Newcastle when everyone is fit is better than us too. We’re at a Brighton/West Ham level, so either way it’s been a good season, even if we stumble along at 1 point per game from now until May, we’ll still get 60 points and probably make Europe. It’s just it will feel so disappointing given where we were after the Brentford game in December.

• Confused 1

Last weekend looks like it was a brilliant one for Spurs and a good one for Man Utd. Not just the results but the likely Kamara news has deflated me whilst there's still rumours Konsa is going to be out for longer than thought. 

Being without Konsa and Kamara for a substantial amount of time is going to be difficult for us - the drop off is too much. We all saw how we played when Kamara was suspended for 3 games and that was with Konsa playing. Might have to lower expectations for the season.