Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

My gut says both West Ham and Newcastle will leapfrog us over the remainder of the season and Man Utd could too.

Might as well sack Emery now if you think we'll be that bad rest of the season

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Bournemouth are unpredictable - they could easily win that 

Not a chance. We're Aston Villa and the entire universe is conspiring against us, apparently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

5th has to be the aim. Anything better than that will be amazing, Anything less will be very disappointing.

That's a very small and specific aim 🤣

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Assuming Man Utd and West Ham win tomorrow (which is likely), those two teams are 5 and 8 points behind us respectively. Newcastle are the ones who need a bigger turn around but they're beginning to stabilise and will do so more once transfer window closes. None of this requires us massively plummeting, but that sort of turn around is quite feasible. Look at our run to 7th last season, teams below us now can easily do it.

59 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No chance of 4th imo.

Spurs look a different level compared to how we have been playing recently.

And not that long ago we looked a different level while Spurs looked shit. 

• Like 2

Does everybody expect Spurs to keep playing like this for the next 16 games? It was only 6/7 games ago Villa were creating lots of chances and scoring goals. 

Pretty confident Spurs will hit a 5/6 game spell where they struggle to score at some point like we are going through, obviously down to whether Villa can find their scoring boots. 

16 games left. Still a lot of football left! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That's a very small and specific aim 🤣

I've been saying the same since beginning of season to be fair, that I felth fifth would be like our title this season.

Problem is the bar stewards went and had world beating form, and a title contenders performance against City which broadsided all of us. 🙄

It was always going to be difficult to replicate first half of season form.

Still a long way to go though, and if we do finish fifth, we might still get lucky and get Champs League.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah. The thing I don't get is this meek acceptance. Guess that's just how bad the last decade has generally gone that people are getting so pessimistic after an indifferent run of results. Seasons are long and I really don't believe we'll be producing this level in April as Emery is simply too good a manager for that, he'll find a solution soon enough.

For us to be leapfrogged by likes of Newcastle and Man. United we'd have to be posting stuff like 7/8 defeats out of 10. So people are predicting that yet we can't do anything about it?! Talk about an overreaction.

You got the same when we lost the three games last Feb. Yes performances were better then but loads of posters were saying europe was an odd pipe dream and a few were even saying we'd be dragged into a relegation battle so we proved those spectacularly wrong.

We can do the same again. 16 games left. Even just 6 wins and one draw and we surpass last season's points total and probably finish 5th so there is still so much to play for if we can find a resounding win from somewhere.

44 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Assuming Man Utd and West Ham win tomorrow (which is likely), those two teams are 5 and 8 points behind us respectively. Newcastle are the ones who need a bigger turn around but they're beginning to stabilise and will do so more once transfer window closes. None of this requires us massively plummeting, but that sort of turn around is quite feasible. Look at our run to 7th last season, teams below us now can easily do it.

Man. United-West Ham is on Sunday so that alone is why Sheffield United is a complete must win just to get a decent gap again over at least one of them.

56 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not a bad call, get Big Sam in.

emery has taken us as far as he can

First thing Sam will do is steady the ship and make us difficult to beat. 5 million should be enough to ensure he keeps us up. Get the ball down the flanks as quickly as possible and lob it into the box for the big bloke at the back stick. BOSHHH

Edited by Follyfoot

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Man. United-West Ham is on Sunday so that alone is why Sheffield United is a complete must win just to get a decent gap again over at least one of them.

I mean, the gap between us and Man U is 11points. I’d be furious if we fell behind them at any point over the remainder of the season. 
West Ham are a decent side, they could catch us quite easily, but overall I’d be disappointed if we allowed it to happen. 

Just now, Tayls said:

I mean, the gap between us and Man U is 11points. I’d be furious if we fell behind them at any point over the remainder of the season. 
West Ham are a decent side, they could catch us quite easily, but overall I’d be disappointed if we allowed it to happen. 

Well it's not me saying either are going to finish above us. A double digit lead is very very hard to overturn although we might've done it with Spurs last season? They had a very big lead over us when Unai took over and we whittled it down week by week.

To not even finish 5th would be a disaster and that could still very easily be a CL spot. If there is a gap created between 4th and 5th we'll certainly be playing full strength in europa.

3 hours ago, supermon said:

Tottenhams midfield all of a sudden like really strong, Kylususevski, Maddison and Werner, all with Son to come back. Their bench looks really strong too. I just hope we can click back into gear like how we did following the Newcastle away defeat but we've been so poor for so long

I pointed this out a while ago and got told I was wrong because of Spurs XG or some bollocks. 

Spurs are a better side with a better squad and will finish above us. We scraped past them when they had 7 players out and that took was met with hostility when I mentioned it.

The only question is, will we get 5th, which I've been aiming for all season. If Torres is back before March then I believe we will. Any longer than that and I doubt it.

We are bloody awful without him and even 6th may be a stretch on current form. 

• Like 1