Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

25 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I didn't see them yesterday when they lost 3-0 at Wolves. I'm assuming they were poor. But apart from that they have been playing well recently and Dyche seems to have sorted them out a bit. I'll be delighted if we get 3 points there because I can't see it being easy.

We'll be o.k there if we get the first goal. Go behind and it will be tricky as the league cup match turned out but then which away game isn't when you go behind (or even 2-0 up at half time....)

The spine of our team will be available for selection and they're getting injuries again so I'd be incredibly disappointed to lose that one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'll be o.k there if we get the first goal. Go behind and it will be tricky as the league cup match turned out but then which away game isn't when you go behind (or even 2-0 up at half time....)

The spine of our team will be available for selection and they're getting injuries again so I'd be incredibly disappointed to lose that one.

Yeah one of those it's crucial we don't go behind because it plays right into their hands counter attacking and a vocal goodison behind them.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 19:49, turvontour said:

If we'd held on against Man U, beaten Sheff U, Bournemouth, Wolves and Forest like we should, then we would be 13 points clear at the top and basically have the league wrapped up by now.

Exactly! 

39 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

The big match-up is us and Spurs.

They have come back strong with the wins over Everton and Bournemouth ( even if they didn’t necessarily deserve all the points)

after the Cup we are at Everton and they are at Old Trafford. 2 big games.

Come back strong with wins over Everton and Bournemouth. Give it a break Chap, it's hardly Man City or Liverpool they have beat. They have proved nothing yet they can compete with us.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Come back strong with wins over Everton and Bournemouth. Give it a break Chap, it's hardly Man City or Liverpool they have beat. They have proved nothing yet they can compete with us.

They were the 2 of the form teams in the league when they played them. They were good wins. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They were the 2 of the form teams in the league when they played them. They were good wins. 

Exactly they had a wobble and have now won 3 in a row I think.

Hard hit by Afcon and Asia Cup though although not many premier games in that period.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes the us against the world after the points deduction worked for a few games but has gone now. Even their defence which was so solid has started leaking goals.    They are back in big trouble. We should beat them

26 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Hard hit by Afcon and Asia Cup though although not many premier games in that period.

It's not ideal to have to play a tournament just after the Christmas schedule though, especially as they come straight back to the business end of the league. 

I can see exhaustion catching up

31 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Not quite, lost to Brighton 4-2 on Thursday.

They’ve won four out of their last five so in good form. Whereas the five prior to that they lost four and drew once.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes the us against the world after the points deduction worked for a few games but has gone now. Even their defence which was so solid has started leaking goals.    They are back in big trouble. We should beat them

Michael Keane is starting again so Everton are basically a goal down starting a game when that happens. Not sure why Dyche keeps picking him after a certain period.

Also a crazy stat they haven't won any of their last 14 games when Doucoure hasn't featured, he is basically the ideal final third player for Dycheball. Touch and go whether he'll be fit for our game.

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They’ve won four out of their last five so in good form. Whereas the five prior to that they lost four and drew once.

Ah yes forgot Brighton, but as you say a good reaction.

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They seem to have a lack of control of games, even when winning.

Will potentially cost them the top 4 spot. 

43 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

They seem to have a lack of control of games, even when winning.

Will potentially cost them the top 4 spot. 

I’ve watched a fair few games of Spurs this season and they seem to play at 100mph and they concede a lot of chances. Will have games where they blow teams away and games (like Villa/West Ham) where as long as the opposition can stay in the game they run out steam second half and teams half decent can pick them off. Also will have away games (Brighton) where if the opposition score early then they can concede a fair few. 

Going to be a good battle for the top 4 between Villa and Spurs. I thought Spurs would have dropped off a bit more then they have but fair play to them. Sometimes teams like to use injuries as an excuse but they’ve stayed up there. 

• Like 1