Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If Tottenham continue to have there poor form, it's a possibilty we might get 4th. But we ain't beating Arsenal. City or Liverpool anytime soon, an I'm sure Tottenham will be back on it soon enough.

Arsenal will beak our home form record I suspect.

We run Arsenal close last season and they was lucky to get a few decisions to beat us, as for Spurs ....not sure where your enthusiasm for them stems from as over 12 months our form is far better than theirs. They have had a decent run but now they have started to pick up injuries and meeting some stronger opposition they are struggling. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

We run Arsenal close last season and they was lucky to get a few decisions to beat us, as for Spurs ....not sure where your enthusiasm for them stems from as over 12 months our form is far better than theirs. They have had a decent run but now they have started to pick up injuries and meeting some stronger opposition they are struggling. 

To be honest, it's probably because I can't imagine it, Aston Villa with Champions League football, naaa, not us.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They are 4 points off us.

If that's them struggling that's concerning

It's not concerning, it's a reality and annoying as ****. they have deserved to lose plenty of the games they have won late recently.

Yes, they could still turn it around and become good, but in my opinion, that is unlikely and yes, I have included a potential new manager bounce. 

It is crazy that if (a) Chelsea hold on to this lead and (b) we had beaten Forest last week, there would be 'can Villa win the league?' articles tomorrow morning.

We won't, we'll do very well to finish 5th, but it's an incredible achievement to be here a year after appointing Emery.

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

If Arsenal had been the midweek game first instead of Man. City I think we'd have got a draw out of that. Playing them 70 hours after Man. City is going to be an effort and we'll likely make 2-3 changes to freshen things up.

Just watching Man. City and they have some big old units in their team alongside Haaland so we're really going to have to be switched on at set pieces. Feels like every season we concede when Rodri makes a near post run from a corner and no one picks him up (in the way Silva scored for Chelsea).

Good news after those two games is we have Sheffield United and Burnley at home over xmas period so normal service should be resumed quickly enough.

24 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Put it tihs way, they've had to win 5 of their last 6 games just to get to 6th place.

Where will they be if they have a 1 win in 5 game run as I think they're heading that way in December given their general level of performance on a weekly basis.

It's nice to be looking at Liverpool/Arsenal/City and being within a win of them (as it stands) and it would be very nice indeed if we can get results at Spurs and Bournemouth to enable us to go into that nasty City/Arsenal double header still within touching distance of them - but the gap to teams from 6th and below who will be our rivals for 4th/5th is poss more important for our season in long run.

Utd look in a false position to me. that negative GD really shows how they have been scraping wins - 7 wins which have all come against teams in bottom 10, and all  by 1 goal. Maybe they will be able to build on this but form suggests quite likely that they drop off with a harder run of fixtures coming up. All the top half teams they've met so far this season, they've lost against.

Expect Newcastle will stay in chase and prob their Bournemouth game a lot like our one at Forest, just a bad away day that happens sometimes. Think in all likelihood the season is going to be City/Arsenal/Pool battling for 1-3, us/Spurs/Newcastle battling for 4-6. Can't totally rule out Utd or perhaps Chelsea from joining that fight. But we have a nice number of points in the bank.

26 minutes ago, jayEm said:

It is crazy that if (a) Chelsea hold on to this lead and (b) we had beaten Forest last week, there would be 'can Villa win the league?' articles tomorrow morning.

We won't, we'll do very well to finish 5th, but it's an incredible achievement to be here a year after appointing Emery.

We are where are are on merit. And have been consistently one of the best teams for 12 months. 

33 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They're getting 1-0 wins against lower half teams. Struggled against Sheffield United a few games back. They’re not in a good place at all despite the league table. Luton had the same amount of shots on target as them at old Trafford yesterday. 

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's just annoying really. People are endlessly moaning on here we're "only" 4 points off the worst Man. United team since 1974 or whenever  they got relegated. Well if we played as many home matches as they had then we might've won another and so be 7 points clear of them with a far superior GD so that''s a comfortable enough lead for first third of the season.

I can get in first part of the season we asked to be away more due to the pitch needing more time after the summer concerts but you really shouldn't be getting until end of December before we've played the same number of home matches.

Arsenal and Chelsea are two other teams who've played 7 of their first 12 at home so far.

I'm pretty sure the thing you're annoyed about with regards to the fixture computer is literally impossible to fix. Even if you had managed to get everyone to have played the same number of home games after gameweek 12 (maybe this is technically possible, not sure) then you would obviously have half the league having played one home game more by the end of gameweek 13. 

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

They're getting 1-0 wins against lower half teams. Struggled against Sheffield United a few games back. They’re not in a good place at all despite the league table. Luton had the same amount of shots on target as them at old Trafford yesterday. 

But they are winning on bad days.

That's bad news if they start to hit form

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yeah Man U have a strange knack of somehow being shite but always picking up the right results to be " there or thereabouts "

Then find a head of steam towards end of season and push, it's quite annoying lol.

17 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

But they are winning on bad days.

That's bad news if they start to hit form

They fell apart against Copenhagen, don’t create chances for hojlund and are winning games with centre backs and full backs scoring the winners. And they’ve had a fairly easy run of games. I don’t see them hitting form

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Well we don't look likely to get Champions League football, our away form still isn't good enough.

If we continue averaging 2 points a game CL is nailed on ;)

The hard part is continuing to average 2 points a game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Well we don't look likely to get Champions League football, our away form still isn't good enough.

Liverpool have only 2 more away points than us and we have the same as Brighton and 2 more than Newcastle

Chelsea, Everton and Palace are in the top 6 for the away table and they wont be near the top 5 in the table

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm pretty sure the thing you're annoyed about with regards to the fixture computer is literally impossible to fix. Even if you had managed to get everyone to have played the same number of home games after gameweek 12 (maybe this is technically possible, not sure) then you would obviously have half the league having played one home game more by the end of gameweek 13. 

Just get every single team playing 6 at home and 6 away after 12. Yes I've just about grasped the concept of teams playing more H/A after 13 games (I think it might be the same after 37 aswell...) but that isn't quite my point.