Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

we started conceding 2s and 3s on regular basis home and away which wasn't sustainable.

Exactly like now if god forbid Emi was out for a couple of months and Olsen had to come in....

Imagine our points total if Emi had played the Newcastle and Liverpool game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Losing Bosnich in the October meant our brilliant defensive record went to pot. Oakes had done well covering for him in previous two seasons but couldn't handle being keeper for top of table team and we started conceding 2s and 3s on regular basis home and away which wasn't sustainable.

Exactly like now if god forbid Emi was out for a couple of months and Olsen had to come in....

Also lost Ugo with eye injury when Shearer deliberately kicked around Feb time. Dublin also had fitness issues so he wasn't the same as he first joined.

You can always split the Gregory era in two parts. First up from when he joined to the cup final, a genuine rollercoaster of incredible unbeaten runs and long winless runs and some memorable games I can still recall to this day, losing 4-2 at home to Liverpool when it could've easily ended 8-8 and also 3-2 cup win over Leeds which is still in top 5 great games I've attended (Carbone hat trick and Merson spilling blood setting up the winner).

Then kick off of the cup final and the last 18 months were as dull as anything, can only recall about 5 matches from 2000/01 season it was that boring.

Oakes coming into the side for Bosnich that season did lead to one milestone in English football history. Villa were the last PL side to field 11 English players in a game. Think it was against Coventry around about that time.

Premier league teams were starting to make use of the Bosman ruling and UEFA had abandoned the 3 foreign players rule for European competitions so foreign players joining English clubs boomed around that time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Oakes coming into the side for Bosnich that season did lead to one milestone in English football history. Villa were the last PL side to field 11 English players in a game. Think it was against Coventry around about that time.

Premier league teams were starting to make use of the Bosman ruling and UEFA had abandoned the 3 foreign players rule for European competitions so foreign players joining English clubs boomed around that time.

Sheffield United must've come close a few seasons back, their line up was pretty much Brexit FC under Wilder but think they had a couple of Irish players in there.

• Haha 1

Its a big week for newcastle as they have arsenal and dortmund away. Hopefulky they lose bith and we can win build a further gap.

The back to back games vs arsenal and city we are gonna drop points so need to have abit of cushion

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

I was talking to a couple of my mates last night and we all agreed that it would be a great pity that only three sides of our ground would be open for our return to competing for the trophy below again next season. First five should do it, so we just need to hold the place that we already have....simples! 

image.png.a18ad2c03e354a497a825c002650eb3e.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a big week for newcastle as they have arsenal and dortmund away. Hopefulky they lose bith and we can win build a further gap.

The back to back games vs arsenal and city we are gonna drop points so need to have abit of cushion

I agree I'd rather Newcastle, Man United, Chelsea, Brighton and West Ham all lose this week. 

I don't mind the top 5 pack all winning. 8 points gap would be magnificent and something not seem ever before in the PL so early on. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2023 at 12:02, VillaChris said:

Sheffield United must've come close a few seasons back, their line up was pretty much Brexit FC under Wilder but think they had a couple of Irish players in there.

Nah they had a Greek lad play everyweek in George Baldock 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think that Dortmund game will effect our season 😉

On 30/10/2023 at 21:27, Mark Albrighton said:

John Gregory was the manager. Villa were joint top after 22 games, behind first place Chelsea on goal difference. Think we were on 43 points.

Then we died. Really died. We were knocked out of the FA cup by Fulham - they were a league one side at the time, albeit a good one - and that carried over for the rest of the season.

We ended the season in sixth with 55 points. Twelve points from the final 16 games. Utter collapse. 

This collapse amongst others (1990 and 1993 - although nowhere near as bad but just as painful) are why Villa fans take "good" starts with a pinch of salt.

At the time it felt unbelievable, we were so good......then so bad in one season! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John said:

I was talking to a couple of my mates last night and we all agreed that it would be a great pity that only three sides of our ground would be open for our return to competing for the trophy below again next season. First five should do it, so we just need to hold the place that we already have....simples! 

image.png.a18ad2c03e354a497a825c002650eb3e.png

That's an interesting point. Surely we hold off the ground development for six months if we actually make CL. Just playing in that competition again after decades of waiting infront of 35k and an empty end would be a massive anti-climax.

• Like 1

Interesting peoples take on the Villa now, and Emery.

Was listening to Sherwood and Steve Sidwell talk about Villa's chances at a title. To sum up:

• the great run we are on can't last
  • we are lacking the superstars to win a title
  • Emery works incredibly hard and long - but why?

Now while I agree that we aren't in a title race, they still underestimate us and Emery. Long may it continue.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's an interesting point. Surely we hold off the ground development for six months if we actually make CL. Just playing in that competition again after decades of waiting infront of 35k and an empty end would be a massive anti-climax.

What would delaying the start to December do? The group stages next season will continue into January, and then you have quarterfinal and semifinals in April and May. If the start is delayed for CL, we have to delay for the entire next season.

If we qualify for CL next season, I see no reason why we can’t repeat that the season after, and become a regular top 4 side. As a top 4 side we need extra stadium capacity as soon as possible. 

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As has been said, I think it's a done deal. Unlike London clubs that were in a similar situation in the past we haven't got a local Wembley stadium to fall back on for the big games. Hopefully, we would be in the same situation the following years as well (qualifying as winners;)). I wouldn't have delayed getting started on the work for a concert though.  

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Interesting peoples take on the Villa now, and Emery.

Was listening to Sherwood and Steve Sidwell talk about Villa's chances at a title. To sum up:

• the great run we are on can't last
  • we are lacking the superstars to win a title
  • Emery works incredibly hard and long - but why?

Now while I agree that we aren't in a title race, they still underestimate us and Emery. Long may it continue.

Im staggered that so many people, but particularly those that work in football, still haven't joined the dots on Villa yet. In terms of where we are in the league now. As if this is all some remarkable coincidence. And some prolonged bounce that has to stop soon, but atleast we'll have enough points to stay up by that point.

We're systematically creating a champions league club, and we're not far away from that now. 2 points per game, top people behind the scene, top manager, top goalkeeper, top outfield players etc. 

• Like 1