Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

It could be a tricky weekend. We simply have to win if we want to keep in touch with top 5 as Spurs vs Palace, Chelsea vs Brentford, Arsenal vs Sheffield, Newcastle vs Wolves, and Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest. All of those should win so no dropped points, except in the Manchester derby. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

The big points are given to teams making finals and winning. So Liverpool and ourselves winning EL and ECL will be big plus City and Arsenal going deep in CL. 

Not really, points are given to teams that progress in the competition and keep winning. If all English teams can progress from the group stages, there are a lot of points to be had. 

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

4 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not really, points are given to teams that progress in the competition and keep winning. If all English teams can progress from the group stages, there are a lot of points to be had. 

4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)

Well yes, but only by lots of our teams going far in the competitions (ie: semi's and finals) do we get enough win points.

England are currently 6th in the rankings for this season equal with Germany. Need to overtake Italy and pull ahead of Germany.

Spain will be top 2, and we should overtake Belgium, Netherlands and Turkey anyway.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Aim is to be right in the mix of the CL running going into the final 4/5 games of the season and at least qualifying for the Europa League. That's significant progress 

Last season showed the fight for those European places doesn't really kick into the final 5 games. Spurs were 4th after 30 games and Fulham were within 6 points of 4th after 26/27 games last season. Wouldn't like to see the disappointment on here if either scenario were to apply to Villa this season. 

I agree just got to try and be in the mix with five games to go and see what happens. I'd imagine the Conference League would be at the QF/SF at that time there's 5 games left? It will be a distraction if Villa are (as expected) reach that stage that's for sure.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Well yes, but only by lots of our teams going far in the competitions (ie: semi's and finals) do we get enough win points.

England are currently 6th in the rankings for this season equal with Germany. Need to overtake Italy and pull ahead of Germany.

Spain will be top 2, and we should overtake Belgium, Netherlands and Turkey anyway.

Spain will struggle as Osasuna got knocked out of the Conference League at qualifying stage. So all of their points are divided by 8, despite only 7 teams still being in Europe. Whereas we have all 8 teams still competing. From what I understand, anyway!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Spain will struggle as Osasuna got knocked out of the Conference League at qualifying stage. So all of their points are divided by 8, despite only 7 teams still being in Europe. Whereas we have all 8 teams still competing. From what I understand, anyway!

Yes that's true. But even with that slight handicap, Spain will easily be in the top 2.

3 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)

The total points being divided by the number of clubs entering Europe means we can't really afford to have any one of our clubs falling at the group stage. If they do, we need someone to win a tournament to counteract the drop in points we'll see.

On average, we probably need 4 or 5 clubs in semi finals (out of the 12 in total), and two clubs making a final. Last season we had only Man City and West Ham making a semi final, but they also went on to win. United went out the Europa in the quarters. But we also had one less club in Europe to divide our total points by.  This season we'll need to better that representation in the latter stages.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The total points being divided by the number of clubs entering Europe means we can't really afford to have any one of our clubs falling at the group stage. If they do, we need someone to win a tournament to counteract the drop in points we'll see.

On average, we probably need 4 or 5 clubs in semi finals (out of the 12 in total), and two clubs making a final. Last season we had only Man City and West Ham making a semi final, but they also went on to win. United went out the Europa in the quarters. But we also had one less club in Europe to divide our total points by.  This season we'll need to better that representation in the latter stages.

No unless they finish 3rd in their groups and get demoted to competitions below (us excluded of course).  You get the same points for getting to Europa League final as you do the Champions League final.  Man Utd and Newcastle could finish 3rd and play in Europa League. Brighton at risk unless they start picking up points, but if they finish 3rd and they are in Europa Conference.

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

No unless they finish 3rd in their groups and get demoted to competitions below (us excluded of course).  You get the same points for getting to Europa League final as you do the Champions League final.  Man Utd and Newcastle could finish 3rd and play in Europa League. Brighton at risk unless they start picking up points, but if they finish 3rd and they are in Europa Conference.

So like said, we don't want them falling. Finishing 3rd and entering europa/UECL I wouldn't class as falling. Its missing out on qualification, with a backup prize. I wasn't exactly specific enough in what I meant by falling

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

There is 4 bonus points for each team that get into the Champions League knockout stage, that the 3rd place team don’t get. In Europa League there is 4 points for winning the group, 2 for second place, non for third place. We get 2 bonus points if we win our group, 1 point if we end up in second place.

In CL, a team gets 20 points from the group stage if they win all their matches, and 11 points if they win all the matches in the knockout stage including the final.

We need ManU and Newcastle to get their act together and at least manage second in their groups, same goes for Brighton.

Hopefully we can get to a comfortable winning position by the hour mark against AZ at home so we can start thinking about resting players for the remainder of the group stage. With a win in the AZ game, we'd likely only need a point from the remaining 2 games to qualify. Hopefully we won't be so hamstrung by injuries for the KO phase and we can rotate our squad more for those games and the league games. 

We have to play 6 of the bottom 8 and the top 3 before the fixtures flip. Think we can go into Christmas top of the table based on that. Erling Haaland is due an injury, Arsenal are the new Spurs and Ange has my respect but his team have been extremely lucky in some games and I'm looking forward to turning up and really spoiling the media spunkfest. 

Might be sleep deprivation but I've never been so convinced by a Villa side as I am right now and it's got a foundation to it as well. Want a league and cup double bus parade around Birmingham in June, quickly passing St. Andrews and wishing them well in league one. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Hopefully we can get to a comfortable winning position by the hour mark against AZ at home so we can start thinking about resting players for the remainder of the group stage. With a win in the AZ game, we'd likely only need a point from the remaining 2 games to qualify. Hopefully we won't be so hamstrung by injuries for the KO phase and we can rotate our squad more for those games and the league games. 

But we don't want to come second 8n the group. That's another two fixtures in the playoff against what's likely to be a tough side. We could have really done with drawing in Warsaw. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/10/2023 at 09:18, ender4 said:

It could be a tricky weekend. We simply have to win if we want to keep in touch with top 5 as Spurs vs Palace, Chelsea vs Brentford, Arsenal vs Sheffield, Newcastle vs Wolves, and Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest. All of those should win so no dropped points, except in the Manchester derby. 

Newcastle are away to Wolves.

We win and Man. United lose and we're 7 points clear of them with a far superior GD so that's a really good effort after 10 games.

Don't care what Liverpool and Arsenal do as we're not finishing above either. If Arsenal can win at Newcastle next weekend that would be good for us.

Beat Luton and we'd be at worst 4 points off Spurs so not concerned by them yet. They've had a brilliant start but will dip soon enough looking at their fixtures in next 10 games. Even as late as mid February I think they were 10 + points clear of us and we finished above them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We win and Man. United lose and we're 7 points clear of them with a far superior GD so that's a really good effort after 10 games.

Don't care what Liverpool and Arsenal do as we're not finishing above either. If Arsenal can win at Newcastle next weekend that would be good for us.

Beat Luton and we'd be at worst 4 points off Spurs so not concerned by them yet. They've had a brilliant start but will dip soon enough looking at their fixtures in next 10 games. Even as late as mid February I think they were 10 + points clear of us and we finished above them.

I agree.  People are gonna be disappointed if they think Spurs, Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool are dropping points this week. I mean they could but they all have easy games. Its very likely we stay in 5th place.

Widening the gap with the likes of Chelsea, Man United, West ham and Newcastle (Teams below us) is a really possibility this week if we win. 

Above all its all in our hands, If we keep winning games, we keep close to the average of 2 points a game, We don't have to worry about the other teams results, 2 points per game gets you Champions League Footy in any season. 

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A lot of the recent bets that I've placed suggest that we do finish above Arsenal and Liverpool. Haha.

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

A lot of the recent bets that I've placed suggest that we do finish above Arsenal and Liverpool. Haha.

Fair play but they'll both get 80 + points so even with our great start that's a huge ask to keep pace in the last few months.

Target should be to get 70 points and that's very realistic as things stand.

41 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I agree.  People are gonna be disappointed if they think Spurs, Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool are dropping points this week. I mean they could but they all have easy games. Its very likely we stay in 5th place.

Widening the gap with the likes of Chelsea, Man United, West ham and Newcastle (Teams below us) is a really possibility this week if we win. 

Above all its all in our hands, If we keep winning games, we keep close to the average of 2 points a game, We don't have to worry about the other teams results, 2 points per game gets you Champions League Footy in any season. 

Wouldn't be massively surprised to see Spurs held tonight at Palace. City possibly, though less likely, could draw at Old Trafford. Liverpool and Arsenal look like bankers as much as our game.

Would be great to get into the top 4. Do our business and keep the pressure on those above.

If we are at our best against our next 3 PL opponents ( Luton, Forest and Fulham ) then 9 points is very realistic.

Then sets us up for a blockbuster test of credentials against Tottenham!

Still think 5th is our " title " this season as things stand.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN