Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

No, I'm the same because his style doesn't suit the way we play our overall game. It's also why I don't think we'll be after him - his skillset is just counter attacking football, as the Leicester fan who came on here detailed. We need a player who can do more than just that. 

Harsh, we haven't played counter attacking football for 5 years or more. 

Barnes requires a top class coach to work with him and help him, he has a huge amount of ability but he's lacking a number of things that CAN be coached. 

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I believe he’s a good option for a club aiming to be consistently mid table. But, he’s an expensive option. I’m absolutely positive there are players across the continent that can do what he does for half the price and on half the money.

Regardless, we’re aiming to break the top 6 consistently and we’ve got Ramsey who plays in a similar position and is better. 

Im of the opinion we’ll need better than Harvey Barnes to finish in the top 6 next season. 

Absolutely fine about ‘missing out’ here. 

We finished top 5 twice and won an FA Cup with him in the team and contributing a lot. His assists and goal contributions are some of the "best of the rest". He needs challenging and a decent coach, he's been able to coast under Rodgers because we've had nobody else and Rodgers couldn't help a player tactically in a million years. 

I suppose somewhat similar to Tielemans, who on his day is a player who can turn a mid table team into a top 6 contender. But they need pushing and the right management, and competition for places.

Edited by babyblue
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, babyblue said:

Barnes requires a top class coach to work with him and help him, he has a huge amount of ability but he's lacking a number of things that CAN be coached. 

In fairness to Lexicon, he's just going on what another Leicester fan on here said. 

1 hour ago, babyblue said:

Barnes 100% has the ability to work in tight areas with other players. He's no way just a knock it over the top and let him run type player. Sure he can do that, but he can link up with others. 

What he used to be brilliant at was doing things quickly, the ball would come to him and he's make a first time pass, a quick one two, or knock it and run, doing things before the opposition had time to be set. Unfortunately, brand Brenden dictates, slow it down, keep the ball, take 175 touches rather than 1 or 2. The whole bloody things just becomes stagnant. 

I don't know what your style is now, but if it's front foot positive and quick football (no not just counter attack), then Barnes would be a brilliant option to have. The best football we played was at the start under Rodgers, when we still had a mix of our old counter attacking, blended with some of his passing football. It was really positive and exciting to watch... but the longer he got his claws into the players, the more he coached the positive aspect from them. 

Thanks for this. I like Barnes, so appreciate the insights to his attributes when used well.

I actually think Villa are evolving, but doing so pretty quickly. Most of our moves start from the back, keeping possession and trying to draw the opposition out of shape so we can pass it round or through them quickly. In the games against lesser teams (Forest for example), they sat deep, so there were quite long periods of frustrating (or patient), build up, but when we did click, the attacks were explosive and incisive.

There are definitely examples of our players now receiving and using the ball well in tight situations, so that bodes well, given what you have said about Barnes.

I would take him for sure.   

4 hours ago, babyblue said:

I don't think it's a slur to play on the counter but that's essentially how Barnes plays, is it not? Looking to get in behind/on the shoulder and use his pace etc. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the guy as I'm not saying he's bad or anything, it's just that we need a player who will be happy to play deeper sometimes too, hold up the ball and play a lot of passes at times, as we probe their defence. We need someone who is more of a team player than Barnes IMO.

West Ham have shown you can play counter attacking football and win a European trophy.

I suspect when Emery gets the players he wants you might see more counter attacking football from Villa?

Either way Villa will need players who can adapt!

3 minutes ago, striker said:

West Ham have shown you can play counter attacking football and win a European trophy.

I suspect when Emery gets the players he wants you might see more counter attacking football from Villa?

Either way Villa will need players who can adapt!

I have never liked the counter attacking style because you're basically giving away the initiative to the opponent which by nature is defensive.

Edited by Pinebro

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I have never liked the counter attacking style because you're basically giving away the initiative to the opponent which by nature is defensive.

Attack wins games. Defence wins trophies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yes mate I know. Just making the point that you can be successful playing different systems and I’m sure under Emery,  Barnes if signed, will adapt game by game.

5 hours ago, babyblue said:

Barnes 100% has the ability to work in tight areas with other players. He's no way just a knock it over the top and let him run type player. Sure he can do that, but he can link up with others. 

What he used to be brilliant at was doing things quickly, the ball would come to him and he's make a first time pass, a quick one two, or knock it and run, doing things before the opposition had time to be set. Unfortunately, brand Brenden dictates, slow it down, keep the ball, take 175 touches rather than 1 or 2. The whole bloody things just becomes stagnant. 

I don't know what your style is now, but if it's front foot positive and quick football (no not just counter attack), then Barnes would be a brilliant option to have. The best football we played was at the start under Rodgers, when we still had a mix of our old counter attacking, blended with some of his passing football. It was really positive and exciting to watch... but the longer he got his claws into the players, the more he coached the positive aspect from them. 

The question I have is that if Rodgers dictated that sort of game, why are Barnes' numbers so low in terms of possession/passing etc.? He's in the bottom 8th percentile for passes attempted and completed in the league and bottom 5th for touches in general. That's ridiculously low. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, babyblue said:

Slow build-up at the back to lure the opposition, then when they commit and press our defence/keeper we turn the ball into midfield and drive forward at pace.  Barnes would probably be quite effective at the latter part.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

Not really. Not sure why people think Newcastle are some sort of super club just yet.

Might be because they are the richest club of any sport in the world, they are in the Champions League and they will just get better and better and better until they inevitably win Premier League titles, FA Cups, Champions Leagues and everything else going.

West Ham are light years away from them. And always will be now.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

Might be because they are the richest club of any sport in the world, they are in the Champions League and they will just get better and better and better until they inevitably win Premier League titles, FA Cups, Champions Leagues and everything else going.

West Ham are light years away from them. And always will be now.

Richest owners maybe. Counts for nothing when they're hamstrung by FFP the same as everyone else but with a far less savvy board when it comes to infrastructure and development. There's no guarantee they'll succeed at all. 

Â