Fallen Angels

Xann

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Yuk. Guessing this must have come out before he died

It's one of those things where he'd sort of fessed up to it much earlier, but the spotlight fell on it around the time of the Jimmy Savile stuff, then again with MeToo, etc.

According to Peel, “Girls used to queue up outside. By and large, not usually for shagging. Oral sex they were particularly keen on”. Sometimes these women were above the age of consent – around the age of 21 – but, judging from the way Peel describes the women he slept with, it would seem like they were the exception, not the rule. Seemingly, they were “extraordinarily older” than his usual clientele. For Peel, being in this position of power was like all of his “masturbation fantasies becoming fact. But with it came danger. One of my, er, regular costumers, as it were, turned out to be 13,” Peel said.

“Turned out” – herein lies the complexity. Peel’s recounting of this period is full of both celebratory and ironic declarations. Although he seems to recognise his misgivings, that doesn’t stop him from forgiving them or from absolving himself of responsibility. “Turned out” implies that Peel only had sex with this girl because he assumed that she was over the age of consent and that he was shocked to discover the truth.

Describing the incident in this way places the burden of responsibility on the girl herself while ignoring the power dynamic inherent to these types of sexual encounters. It wasn’t the first time Peel had used this reasoning to retreat from responsibility. Early in his career, Peel also married 15-year-old Shirley Anne Milburn, later claiming her parents had lied about her age. Also, in that 1989 interview, Peel described how “it was not a happy marriage to begin with. And it got worse”. Following the couple’s divorce in 1973, Milburn ended up being convicted for several drugs and fraud offences. As Peel recalled: “She fell in with some extremely dodgy people. She died last year as the result of a previous suicide attempt”.

Then, in 2012, a woman called Jane Nevin came forward to claim she had a three-month relationship with Peel when he was 30, and she was 15. According to Nevin, the relationship ended with a “traumatic” abortion. Nevin’s allegation shed a disturbing light on Peel, not least because she said that Peel “must have known that I was still at school. But he didn’t ask, and I didn’t tell him”. Indeed, Peel himself once claimed that he “didn’t ask for ID” when people wanted to sleep with him. Again, we see Peel’s tendency to celebrate his actions when it suits him and refuse any responsibility when it doesn’t.

from https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-dark-side-of-john-peel-abuse-claims/

• 3 weeks later...

The lead singer for German rock band Rammstein is facing a police investigation into allegations of sexual assault.

Following allegations from a 24-year-old fan that she was drugged and woke with unexplained bruises after a concert in Vilnius, Lithuania, last month, at least half a dozen women have come forward with accusations against frontman Till Lindemann, 60, in the German press.

There has also been renewed scrutiny of Lindemann’s often controversial lyrics and writing. His poem Wenn du schläfst (When you Sleep) prompted a huge debate in Germany when it was released in 2020.

“I like to sleep with you when you sleep, when you don’t stir at all,” the poem begins, in German. “And that’s just how it should be (how it should be so that it’s fun). A little Rohypnol in the wine (a little Rohypnol in the glass). You can’t move at all. And you’re sleeping, it’s a blessing.” 

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/rammstein-frontman-investigated-over-knock-out-drops-sexual-assault-claims-20230618-p5dhh9.html

• Sad 1

On 29/05/2023 at 13:57, Rugeley Villa said:

Seems shagging under age girls was the done thing back then if you were involved in music or tv . 

and with all these stories about musicians and celebrities shagging 12/13 year olds I always wonder where the parents are? 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

and with all these stories about musicians and celebrities shagging 12/13 year olds I always wonder where the parents are? 

Kids sneak out and lie, sleep over at X's house, in fact X may well be reciprocating and sleeping over at Y's house to her parents too.

Parent's can be blissfully unaware. Kids are clever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Kids sneak out and lie, sleep over at X's house, in fact X may well be reciprocating and sleeping over at Y's house to her parents too.

Parent's can be blissfully unaware. Kids are clever.

I was a bit older before I started all that shenanigans*, maybe I was a late starter 

*by shenanigans I mean sneaking out in the night to get drunk or smoke, not suck off celebrities.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

How old were you when that started? 

The only celebrity I ever met in person was Saracen off of Gladiators, I didn’t even give him a kiss.

15-16 were the glory years of getting drunk in the park when each parent though we were at someone else’s house.

Just now, Genie said:

15-16 were the glory years of getting drunk in the park when each parent though we were at someone else’s house.

Never went through that phase. At 15-16 I was drinking in pubs with my mates, with my parents' full knowledge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Never went through that phase. At 15-16 I was drinking in pubs with my mates, with my parents' full knowledge. 

It was more tricky when I was 15/16 (bars wanted ID and none of us looked old enough). 17 onwards we’d found some pubs which had a more relaxed view on serving youngsters.

On 22/05/2023 at 21:14, KentVillan said:

I mean I agree Ben Elton became very unfunny, and he’s obviously a quintessential Centrist Dad, but I wouldn’t have him in same bracket as many of the people named in this thread. He hasn’t poisoned his legacy.

It just became trendy to beat him with a stick. People change as they get older, deal with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It was more tricky when I was 15/16 (bars wanted ID and none of us looked old enough). 17 onwards we’d found some pubs which had a more relaxed view on serving youngsters.

Yeah, I think they tightened up in more recent years. Most pubs in the late 60s/early 70s didn't give a shit as long as you behaved sensibly. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

The only celebrity I ever met in person was Saracen off of Gladiators, I didn’t even give him a kiss.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was 14 when I started drinking and smoking etc in a field - also told my parents' exactly where I was and what I was doing.

I really hope my kids do similar (not the age, just the telling) to be honest :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a name that I believe will immediately spring to minds of VT but Allison Mack is apparently back on the streets.

(I keep wanting to make a “The Secret World of Allison Mack” pun, but I shall resist)

I never properly watched Smallville but I’d seen enough here and there to know who she was and I did that thing where when the revelations about her came about I thought “Huh…but she seemed like a nice, normal girl on the show…

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not a name that I believe will immediately spring to minds of VT but Allison Mack is apparently back on the streets.

(I keep wanting to make a “The Secret World of Allison Mack” pun, but I shall resist)

return-of-the-mack.gif

• Like 1

Â