Luton Town

MaVilla

News reporters going on like it’s their first time in the top league. The top league didn’t start in 92/93.  I remember Luton from my first season properly being into Villa and they had a plastic pitch in the top division .

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Think they'll do a Blackpool next season - surprisingly strong early start but then run out of steam and go down.

Blackpool got 39 points that season so probably the highest points tally to be relegated with in last 20 years.

I agree, they'll turn over 3-4 teams up to xmas at home which should mean their avoid Derby type points haul but very hard to think they'll stay up as they won't invest anything close to what Forest have.

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

As a villa fan I thought you would know the answer to that 

I try not to live in the past like some fans do. One of the reasons we have been in the doldrums until recently 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I try not to live in the past like some fans do. One of the reasons we have been in the doldrums until recently 

Impressed. That's a good answer.

I think they will struggle, but then I thought Bournemouth didn't have the slightest chance of being competitive. They will have a decent home record I imagine and be better than Derby etc, but I would still say they will go straight back down.  But they won't mind too much I don't think, pocket the money and get a new stadium. 

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I agree, they'll turn over 3-4 teams up to xmas at home which should mean their avoid Derby type points haul but very hard to think they'll stay up as they won't invest anything close to what Forest have.

Pretty much this. They'll fancy themselves against any bottom half side at home and they may get a handful of unexpected draws at home, but I don't think they'll invest much as their team spirit has got them to where they are - when ourselves and Forest came up we had no squad so had to invest £100m just to fill it. Luton have either got to turn 10 players in and out, or buy a £30m player in defence, midfield and attack, and I dont see them doing either of those.

If anything, I suspect they might sign some of the better Championship players to build a higher base level of quality so they'd come straight back up in 2024/25 and then have a better chance at staying up from there.

Fair play to them though, it's nice to see someone new and refreshing come up rather than Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Boro, WBA etc popping up here and there.

8 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Pretty much this. They'll fancy themselves against any bottom half side at home and they may get a handful of unexpected draws at home, but I don't think they'll invest much as their team spirit has got them to where they are - when ourselves and Forest came up we had no squad so had to invest £100m just to fill it. Luton have either got to turn 10 players in and out, or buy a £30m player in defence, midfield and attack, and I dont see them doing either of those.

If anything, I suspect they might sign some of the better Championship players to build a higher base level of quality so they'd come straight back up in 2024/25 and then have a better chance at staying up from there.

Fair play to them though, it's nice to see someone new and refreshing come up rather than Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Boro, WBA etc popping up here and there.

In fairness Boro have only been up once in the past 14 years. Agree on the rest though, and you can also add Watford to that who always seem to be up and down.

Edited by Mantis
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I knew I'd forgotten one, how did I forget Watford?! They'll be annoyed this morning too, which is good because I worked with a Watford fan once and he was an absolute tool

Shows how badly they are run nowadays, Rob Edwards had all of 10 games for them and he then goes to their rivals and gets them up within six months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

News reporters going on like it’s their first time in the top league. The top league didn’t start in 92/93.  I remember Luton from my first season properly being into Villa and they had a plastic pitch in the top division .

Can’t be true. Sky Sports started football in 1992, everything before then was terrible, archaic football that doesn’t count now. 

• Like 1

I think that stadium is going to work in there favour, the prima donna players are not going to enjoy it there, could become like The Dell. 

What I’d really love is a premier league team to become prime Wimbledon (Crazy Gang) and just sh*thouse the league. 

No idea how Luton play but that’s what I’m picturing. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

What I’d really love is a premier league team to become prime Wimbledon (Crazy Gang) and just sh*thouse the league. 

No idea how Luton play but that’s what I’m picturing. 

Probably as close to it as you're going to get I suppose. They certainly dont play it out from the back...

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Sorry I don't feel the excitement about Luton getting promoted. No great history. Decent team before on their plastic pitch. Think they will really struggle in the prenier league 

I think its a nice story, especially being non league 9 years ago. Its not as though they have thrown money around like confetti to get promoted, like Bournemouth did a few years back

You're right, they will struggle, but I think i'm happier to see a different name in the league. Burnley and Sheff Utd are nothing new! 

• Like 1

Think we will see them sign a lot of experienced free agents like Walcott, Evans, tom davies, jeff schlupp, forshaw, phil jones, jed steer etc. Not the biggest or best names but to try and stay up in that first season they will target these signings

• 1 month later...

yeah their first game now is brighton away which is a tough first fixture. Then again i rated Mpanzu and Adebayo in the play off final and they can be physical so maybe they can win via a set piece or knockdown, who cares if its scrappy

On 28/05/2023 at 11:47, Zatman said:

Except it's not one of the reasons. Poor management and poor ownership was the reason we were underachievers. Our history doesn't impact what happens on the pitch. 

Luton will have the momentum of promotion and the unknown element. It's possible but very unlikely they will stay up. Forest managed it last year but they spent a lot more than Luton will. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, villa89 said:

Except it's not one of the reasons. Poor management and poor ownership was the reason we were underachievers. Our history doesn't impact what happens on the pitch. 

Luton will have the momentum of promotion and the unknown element. It's possible but very unlikely they will stay up. Forest managed it last year but they spent a lot more than Luton will. 

There’s zero chance they stay up and I’m sure that’s not the goal for them this year otherwise they’d have spent more than they have.

They’ll aim to build steadily with a view to becoming a bit of a yo-yo club and financially securing their future.

You never know. That Huddersfield team that got promoted with a negative goal difference somehow stayed up for a season! They did spend a fair amount to do it though which it doesn't seem Luton will/can.

Based on their early signings it seems their approach is to sign decent championship players so at least they will have a better championship squad if they do go down which seems sensible.

Â