Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not good to sneak it in with the kit release though.  Even if he hasn’t decided that, as head of non football operations his timing of the announcements of the sponsor this morning officially and then slipping in the kit release about the badge is poor communication and timing is appalling and that sits right at his door given his role.

I think alot of it has largely been in place before his arrival imo.

The sponsorship was down to the last clown we know that for sure and I'm pretty sure the badge was too.

Let the new man get in the door before we start laying blame at him. Rome wasn't built in a day and i'm confident once he gets to grips with things then we will see changes for the better but they take time to implement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Rome wasn't built in a day

True, but they also didn't spend a boatload of dinar to replace Rome with a nicer Rome, go to the lengths of involving Romans in the city-planning, then shit the bed once it was built by keeping two adjacent Romes before reverting back to the old one anyway.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sorry what have i missed with the badge?  Something went wrong?

The new badge is going to be on kits and training gear only, we're retaining the (shite) older badge for all other branding purposes (digital, social media etc.); the logical conclusion people are drawing is that the club will be shit-canning the new badge at the next available opportunity, presumably at the end of this season. 

Bottom line, we've flushed all notions of brand synergy down the toilet for at least this campaign.

Edited by GarethRDR

31 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The sponsorship was down to the last clown we know that for sure and I'm pretty sure the badge was too.

Let the new man get in the door before we start laying blame at him. Rome wasn't built in a day and i'm confident once he gets to grips with things then we will see changes for the better but they take time to implement.

I’m not really arguing about the decisions re his involvement but one of the key things under him is marketing and communication and today was his first step in that arena and it was a debacle.  

The communication was a total misstep.  

If he didn’t know the sponsorship was a sore point with fans that’s an issue, if he did know then it’s bad marketing to release the official statement on that on the day of a kit launch.  It puts fans in a poor mood when it you want anything but that on a launch.  

The same with throwing in about the badges, why did they need to throw that in today to muddy the kit launch.  It’s bad marketing/communication and it’s not a good sign for the first major thing.  

Both the sponsorship and badge thing could’ve been done differently both in terms of the days they were announced and especially how the badge was announced could’ve been explained in a much better way/format/environment.

The decisions may have not been his although the badge thing is surely but giving him the benefit of doubt on that.  How and when it was communicated is definitely down to him and it has been a bad day at the office I’m afraid.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Realised the new badge is an absolute honker and will probably change it. I like this fella already. 

Know that as my Villa brethren, I hold thee dear to my heart, but if you're telling me you think the old badge is better than I am duty-bound to challenge you to Thunderdome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

True, but they also didn't spend a boatload of dinar to replace Rome with a nicer Rome, go to the lengths of involving Romans in the city-planning, then shit the bed once it was built by keeping two adjacent Romes before reverting back to the old one anyway.

But what have they done lately?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sorry what have i missed with the badge?  Something went wrong?

basically, the club gave the fans the choice of which badge they wanted. the fans voted. the club have then decided that they will kinda honour that vote so they will put it on kits that will change in a year's time anyway, but don't like it enough to spend the money on changing it for all aspects of the club i.e. on the website, in the ground etc.

59 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A day and a half, I reckon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

The new badge is going to be on kits and training gear only, we're retaining the (shite) older badge for all other branding purposes (digital, social media etc.); the logical conclusion people are drawing from is that the club will be shit-canning the new badge at the next available opportunity, presumably at the end of this season. 

Bottom line, we've flushed all notions of brand synergy down the toilet for at least this campaign.

The way I have read it is that our new sports branding expert is unconvinced by the new brand (and I agree that it looks too bland and too like most other rebrands) so has decided to save money launching a full re-brand but that it was too late to change the kit / training materials as this had already been sent to the manufacturers and so couldn't be pulled.  I think this means that we can expect a new re-brand in the coming months - probably one that makes us more unique.  Whilst it is unfortunate in the interim period - if we are going to undertake another re-brand it absolutely makes sense to save as much money as possible by abandoning any work / changes that we can.  It would be foolish to continue spending money changing the branding around the stadium, etc if we're going to have to repeat the exercise and the cost in a few months.

Personally I was disappointed by both options on which fans were consulted - neither really fulfilled the brief.  Like most kit launches - there were better options drawn up by fans that seemed (to me) to better represent the club.  I think we will go with something much "bigger" that will make us stand out more from other clubs.  Whether that is based around the shape / styling or whether it will be a much bigger change that makes a bigger play on Villans remains to be seen. 

It does have to be said that current badge does little to indicate what we are if you are unfamiliar with the team - there's not even mention of the fact that we are a football club.  Whilst it works in the UK (although it is too similar to too many other badges in my opinion) I don't think it does very much for a more global market.  It is definitely better than the old badge.  The wording of the message did suggest (to me) that the new badge wasn't being ruled out - but I would expect a couple of quite new, different and (potentially) challenging alternatives to be put forward.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Heck ditches our shirt sponsors pretty quickly.  I am sure that he's talking to some bigger players about sponsorship within the whole V-Sports "world".

Finally I am interested to hear more about the impressions of the people who attended the Fan Forum with Heck - I like the sound of "initial thoughts are quite positive" and am intrigued by "do things quite differently". 

• Like 3

Not sure where to put this in which thread, but as he seems to be the guy running non football stuff here we go.  We seemed to have lost a lot of momentum since the autumn/winter period in which the club did 2 major consultations on the new crest and the stadium redevelopment. They announced the new badge in November and got planning permission in December. And since then near-complete radio silence, followed by Purslow leaving the club and the story in the mail about the redevelopment being put on hold until next year.

And now today with the non-launch of a new/old crest which will only be on the shirt, not shown digitally, and almost certainly going to be replaced again. And with a gambling sponsor.  Meanwhile, they are going ahead with ripping out half of the upper Holte concourse for a subscription-based facility which I seriously doubt anyone actually wanted after the very wishy-washy consultation on matchday facilities.  And massive ticket price increases.

It is a shame as we seem to be finally going in the right place on the pitch but yet again of it, we seem inconsistent and small time. We always appear to be on the cusp of something transformational as a club and yet seem to shoot our own foot off. A lot of these issues are not Heck's fault as he has just joined but he has a lot on his plate and personally, after today I am not full of confidence tbh.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Know that as my Villa brethren, I hold thee dear to my heart, but if you're telling me you think the old badge is better than I am duty-bound to challenge you to Thunderdome.

It's better than the old one - but I still think it is too generic and too similar to too many other badges.  Also it does nothing to explain what we are - a football club.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure where to put this in which thread, but as he seems to be the guy running non football stuff here we go.  We seemed to have lost a lot of momentum since the autumn/winter period in which the club did 2 major consultations on the new crest and the stadium redevelopment. They announced the new badge in November and got planning permission in December. And since then near-complete radio silence, followed by Purslow leaving the club and the story in the mail about the redevelopment being put on hold until next year.

And now today with the non-launch of a new/old crest which will only be on the shirt, not shown digitally, and almost certainly going to be replaced again. And with a gambling sponsor.  Meanwhile, they are going ahead with ripping out half of the upper Holte concourse for a subscription-based facility which I seriously doubt anyone actually wanted after the very wishy-washy consultation on matchday facilities. 

It is a shame as we seem to be finally going in the right place on the pitch but yet again of it, we seem inconsistent and small time. We always appear to be on the cusp of something transformational as a club and yet seem to shoot our own foot off. A lot of these issues are not Heck's fault as he has just joined but he has a lot on his plate and personally, after today I am not full of confidence tbh.

I suspect it was too late to do anything about the sponsor(s) or the kit and that we've decided to pull the plug on wasting more money with a "brand" that isn't fit for purpose.  I think we'll see some of Heck's ideas come to the fore in the next few weeks / months and that they will be far bigger than what we have done so far.  I suspect that some of the ideas around branding might also be quite controversial but that he'll be putting them forward to gauge a reaction.  My impression is that he'll have gained a lot from today's "anger" about the shirt sponsors and that it will cement his thinking that a global name to sponsor the whole of V-Sports is the answer in terms of maximising bang for buck (both for the sponsor and the clubs).  My issue with the new badge is that it is just too safe and does nothing to make us look different to anyone else - as was said at the time it looks like we copied Chelsea (and for a lot of the world Chelsea will be better known than us).

Hard to judge someone who has just started in his role.  The only real alternative would have been to cancel the kit launch - but I suspect that the cost of changing the design, etc meant that that just wasn't a feasible option.

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Why have we allowed another betting sponsor on the front of our shirt.

Seriously it is embarrassing, they just cause misery.

The sponsor has been known for some time - as have the reasons (i.e. they pay significantly more than any other type of company for clubs of our stature).  I would be very surprised if the sponsorship deal ends up being "multi-year" and expect that we will see a very different company on our shirts next season.  I am sure that our owners will have become very aware of the issues and the views of fans and that Heck will be tasked with taking us in a different direction as soon as possible.  I would be astonished if one of the reasons he has been hired isn't because his little black book of contacts includes some powerful people at some big global companies who can see the appeal of advertising through sport.

Edited by allani

Â