Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

19 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I wonder if Emery had a role in bringing Heck in?

Surely Heck is 100% a WE connection.  I think Alemany coming is heavily connected to Emery though (either directly in terms of Emery suggesting him or indirectly in that Alemany recognises him as a manager who can help him fulfill the vision).

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Surely Heck is 100% a WE connection.  I think Alemany coming is heavily connected to Emery though (either directly in terms of Emery suggesting him or indirectly in that Alemany recognises him as a manager who can help him fulfill the vision).

Heck himself would be, I just wonder whether Emery said something like "I need someone brought in to do X Y Z"

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Heck himself would be, I just wonder whether Emery said something like "I need someone brought in to do X Y Z"

I think Alemany makes a lot of sense in that scenario.  I don't think that marketing is something that Emery would prioritise.  Much more likely that the Heck role was identified by Purslow (directly or indirectly) as part of the ongoing discussions with NSWE on increasing revenue and WE said "hold my coat I know just the man".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That isn't to say that the transformation on the pitch under Emery hasn't accelerated some of those discussions.  So from that perspective we might have made the appointment now because Emery has moved us 12 / 24 months along our plan.  Plus it was probably easier selling the vision to Heck when we were 5th / 6th / 7th in the league rather than 17th.

Edited by allani

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/17/club-statement/

V Sports and Aston Villa are delighted to announce the appointment of Chris Heck as the Group’s new President of Business Operations.

Chris Heck brings over 30 years of sports industry experience to the Club, including his most recent role as President of the National Basketball Association franchise the Philadelphia 76ers. Prior to his time with the 76ers, he held leadership roles at Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls and the National Basketball Association. He will report to Aston Villa ownership, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, and have full responsibility for all business and commercial matters.

Nassef Sawiris, Chairman of AVFC said: “We are excited to have Chris joining us as President of Business Operations. Consistent with our philosophy on the pitch, we have brought in world class talent off the pitch to help us continue our growth. Chris’ arrival will further establish Villa as a global leader in sport and enhance the fan experience.”

Mr. Heck said: “Villa’s storied history and impressive fanbase is something I’ve always admired from my sports career in the US. I look forward to becoming a part of this community and furthering the great legacy of this team and its fans.”

Chris will assume his duties effective immediately.

Interesting that it's V Sports and Aston Villa, not just Aston Villa.

But for me it's that reporting and responsibility lines that are the big ones.

• Like 3

So I guess the board is now the owners at the top, with Heck in charge of Business and Commercial matters for the group and Purslow in charge of club matters at Aston Villa?

If that's the case, is Heck senior to Purslow as group President over the CEO?

Be interesting to see what else happens over the next week or so? Just something in the statement released today that suggests some major changes are afoot………

Chris will assume his duties effective immediately.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/17/club-statement/

Interesting that it's V Sports and Aston Villa, not just Aston Villa.

But for me it's that reporting and responsibility lines that are the big ones.

I was going to mention that, Heck isn't a Villa specific guy, but a broad VSports guy. 

It's all very careful wording. The 'Group' and the headline suggests V Sports, but I find it curious how it's explicitly specified that he'll report to 'Aston Villa ownership'. I think OBE is right in his assessment, but the whole statement has just been really curiously written and I think that's intentional: why that is I have no idea.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ooh, the Heck statement is very interesting - not reporting to Purslow but direct to the owners and with "full responsibility for all business and commercial matters".

That's the big job.

It's not particularly interesting. It would be pointless appointing a separate commercial director at villa and V Sports, as there would be too much crossover, considering the group is so small at the moment. Makes sense to have him at V Sports level to cater for future group expansion. Purslow is specifically Villa so there would be no reason to have Heck reporting to him when he is only looking after one company in the group. Don't forget Purslow is probably not too far off retirement and won't want the added responsibility of dealing with the entire operation anyway. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Â