Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I really hope he secures us a decent manufacturer again. Can't be doing with Macron or Castore etc. Garbage. 

His brand principles with the 76ers were - History, Quality, Authenticity.  I suspect that his values here will be VERY similar and I think that will cover both the design and manufacture.

• Like 4

Brilliant video, thanks for sharing. 

Ten minutes in and he extols the importance of brand consistency. 

Suffice to say, however much you're pulling your hair out about the current branding mess, he's feeling worse. More importantly, understands the importance of rectifying it for the long term.

(The bit about celebrating history struck a chord with me too - we are so poor at this, hopefully Heck can rectify this also).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The problem is we got a new badge and finally got rid of the Lerner badge and now his guy comes and we have ended up in no man's land. It is a mess and he has got off to a bad start.

We're only in a no man's land because we didn't have this guy in from the start.  The method he adopted at the 76ers shows what we should have been doing 18 months ago.  We've pulled the plug before we waste more money on a poorly thought through re-brand.  As with the 76ers - it is unlikely that we land on our new brand straight away - it will almost certainly take time to evolve.  We were heading down the wrong path and he's pulled the plug as best he can.  I am convinced it will prove to be the right decision in the long run.

• Like 2

I hope he doesn't get rid of the Lion on the big screens before we come out. Very emotional that is (even the Lion cries - don't understand why) but i wish he would get rid of the awful screeching din we come out to and give us something more rocking or powerful. 

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Brilliant video, thanks for sharing. 

Ten minutes in and he extols the importance of brand consistency. 

Suffice to say, however much you're pulling your hair out about the current branding mess, he's feeling worse. More importantly, understands the importance of rectifying it for the long term.

(The bit about celebrating history struck a chord with me too - we are so poor at this, hopefully Heck can rectify this also).

100% on this bit.  I loved how much time and effort they spent celebrating the 76ers history (even if it was partly because their team at the time he joined completely sucked).  The commissioning of statues of great players down the ages, the art exhibitions featuring players down the ages, the fact that they had merchandise featuring historic players, the involvement of ex-players before / after matches, etc were all great to see.  I hope that we do something very similar.  I also really liked how he celebrated the history of the club AND the city.  So it will be interesting to see how that works in a city with more than one football club.

• Like 2

Seemed just the usual sports marketing talk, with an American angle. Having promotion and regulation makes it a completely different culture, esp with the bit when they tried to celebrate the 10-74 season. Couldn't really do that in 15/16. But we need to give him time and give him a chance.

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He speaks on everything, even down to " owning " a colour different to everyone else.

This has been one of my pet peeves for yonks.

Hopefully he won't suffer the nonsense we've endured about a dozen different shades of claret.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Feidhlim said:

There's a 45min YouTube presentation done by Heck on how he changed 76ers. 

I watched it yesterday and I know why we have done soft launch. 

I'm also really excited for the next few years.

HIGHLY recommended if you're doubting Heck.

Here:

Really impressive, he explains exactly what I want our brand to be during this video, obviously, substitute the 76ers with Villa, and Philadelphia with Birmingham. 

It needs to be simple, it needs to be authentic, it needs to be consistent, and it needs to be engaging. Keep the traditional side of things we hold most dear, whilst moving forward and innovating.

Honestly, I no longer care about the double crest this season as long as he can deliver the brand he talks about in this video. Our brand and marketing are a total mess at the moment, he's not going to fix it a few months into the job, it's going to take a few years, fortunately, he sees the long-term benefits of short-term pain.

As a designer, I can tell you I'd love to work for a guy like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watching that on brand video now.

Love everything i'm hearing and seeing so far.

I'm totally for a rebrand from top to bottom.

Question is, would the more " stubborn " fans go for this?

He speaks on everything, even down to " owning " a colour different to everyone else.

This has been one of my pet peeves for yonks.

He owned Blue at Phillie. So only right he owns Claret in Aston.

Mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seemed just the usual sports marketing talk, with an American angle. Having promotion and regulation makes it a completely different culture, esp with the bit when they tried to celebrate the 10-74 season. Couldn't really do that in 15/16. But we need to give him time and give him a chance.

It seems like a huge step forward from most things we've done in this area before.  I failed badly to explain yesterday how I think we've failed to market Villa's unique history in the past and how the new badge / kit feel very vanilla and "out of the box" approaches to me.  Someone coming in and trying to own our "brand" and get people enthusiastic about it again seems quite exciting.  I'd love to see more of this thinking added into the ground development ideas too - particularly some way of acknowledging some of our greatest figures through the years whether that be statues, stand names, bricks / plaques around the ground, photos, murals, whatever.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

He owned Blue at Phillie. So only right he owns Claret in Aston.

Mate.

Scenes when we decide to be " progressive " and change our colours to Pink.

" This represents the beginning of the claret spectrum... and going into a future where we're not defined by gender or colour " 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Bring back Purslow

This guy's an absolute whopper.

I can't decide if you're having a great evening winding people up or if you've finally lost the plot :D

• Like 1

Â