Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

“Very bad news” – Chief says key man ‘couldn’t say no’ to Aston Villa

“Very bad news” – Chief says key man ‘couldn’t say no’ to Aston Villa

On Thursday, Jijantes stated Alemany had made a trip to England to finalise his move to Aston Villa. The 60-year-old hasn’t publicly talked about his expected move to the Premier League.

However, Barca vice-president for the economic area, Eduard Romeu, has told L’Esportiu de Catalunya that Aston Villa will be the sporting director’s next destination.

When directly asked to share his thoughts on Alemany, who is leaving the Catalan club for Unai Emery’s side, he said: “Mateu couldn’t say no. They put an astronomical salary on the table and, on top of that, they give you a blank cheque book and it’s very hard to say no. Mateu is a phenomenon, he has done a great job.”

“I understood him very well because I don’t understand football at all, but he used to speak my language. It’s very difficult for a guy who understands football to get to speak in your language: amortisation, costs… it’s very bad news for us but he couldn’t say no,” Romeu explained.

“I would like to be able to offer him a blank cheque, although the regulations wouldn’t allow us either, they are more flexible over there in the Premier League. I am convinced that he will make a set that will make a splash.”

More text in the link above ...

:clap::clap::clap:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A blank cheque sounds a bit unrealistic.  Be good if true though 🤣

I guess when you're a Spanish VP looking over from across the water, it may as well be blank.

• Like 1

I had never heard of this bloke until the speculation started last week, but I must say that everything I’ve read sounds incredibly encouraging. 

Everyone seems to talk about him like he’s some sort of cheat code. Big statement If we could get this over the line. 

Really interested to know how much say he'll have in targets.

Beyond advising on price points prior to negotiatios, I would hope not a huge amount on actual player selection?

I presume not, but I've seen a few clickbait headlines saying "Alemany wants this player, that player".

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Really interested to know how much say he'll have in targets.

Beyond advising on price points prior to negotiatios, I would hope not a huge amount on actual player selection?

I presume not, but I've seen a few clickbait headlines saying "Alemany wants this player, that player".

It will be Emery and the scouts that identify what players we need, it will be Alemany doing the negotiating for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A blank cheque sounds a bit unrealistic.  Be good if true though 🤣

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It wont be a blank cheque  book but i do believe a big transfer budget is loominv. He wouldnt comw just for the wages

This is a very exciting appointment 

Cheques are usually blank before they are filled in……

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's full of Barcelona spin, "he left for money" he is given "unlimited spending at Villa" etc.. when you scale that back and bin it. It's clear he is enticed by the project of being allowed work within the financial budget our club has and incrementally build the squad safe in the knowledge he has an Elite systems coach in Emery to succeed on the pitch.

The more I see of things at Villa since Emery came in the more I think about Leinster and Ireland Rugby. With a fraction of the player pool and resources of the big nations. Ireland have incredible coaching and systems in place which provide the success. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's full of Barcelona spin, "he left for money" he is given "unlimited spending at Villa" etc.. when you scale that back and bin it. It's clear he is enticed by the project of being allowed work within the financial budget our club has and incrementally build the squad safe in the knowledge he has an Elite systems coach in Emery to succeed on the pitch.

The more I see of things at Villa since Emery came in the more I think about Leinster and Ireland Rugby. With a fraction of the player pool and resources of the big nations. Ireland have incredible coaching and systems in place which provide the success. 

Not sure if true, but also read he wasn't keen on Messi returning to Barca which was also one of the reasons he's decided to leave them.

I think what he's done at Barca is genius. He's got in players on free who they can sell 12 months later or less. Look at Abumayang sold for 12m 6 months after he joined on a free, Depay sold for 4m signed on free, Emerson Royal signed 12m and and sold for 25+ big profit 12 months later.

They have Kessie, Christensen, Alonso can all be sold for total profit. They can sell Torres or Raphinha for profts on what they paid. It's very very smart use of how the system works

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

They put an astronomical salary on the table and, on top of that, they give you a blank cheque book and it’s very hard to say no. Mateu is a phenomenon, he has done a great job.

Blank Cheque you say....   

0_Messi-Martinez.jpg

:detect:

• Like 1

This is big. I'm pretty confident he wouldn't just come here for the big wage increase,  he would also want guarantees that he would be able to buy the players he and Emery want.

Really exciting summer ahead.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Blank Cheque you say....   

0_Messi-Martinez.jpg

:detect:

Messi always hanging around with Stars, asking for their shirts and dinner dates.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think what he's done at Barca is genius. He's got in players on free who they can sell 12 months later or less. Look at Abumayang sold for 12m 6 months after he joined on a free, Depay sold for 4m signed on free, Emerson Royal signed 12m and and sold for 25+ big profit 12 months later.

They have Kessie, Christensen, Alonso can all be sold for total profit. They can sell Torres or Raphinha for profts on what they paid. It's very very smart use of how the system works

We have a big problem shifting deadwood or squad players for profit. Alemany will turn that around. It’s not just about finding the talent but being able to shift assets to bring in better quality. 

Â