The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I guess I don't see Arsenal as a giant step up from West Ham, so that makes the move amount a little bewildering to me. I think part what makes Rice special are his relationships with his teammates -- can't buy that. But it's really just the amount. It's so much and so disconnected from ordinary people. The whole budget for adult social services in Islington Borough is something like half that, for example. Yes, apples and pears, but ... maybe this is a post for The Game's Gone thread lol.

When’s the last time West Ham finished 2nd?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Never!

3rd being best ever... '86 I think? Cottee /McAvennie partnership.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Rice is one of the best players at what he does and every team needs that type of player if not the rest of the team can't function as well, there's a reason he's heavily linked to the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, and Bayern Munich, and will probably end up at one of those type of clubs and not only that but I bet there won't be a Kalvin Phillips type situation with him , he'll get regular starts.

All that said £100m does seem excessive though, just for the fact that unless I'm missing some obvious examples players of his position don't normally go for anywhere near that amount, when it comes to it I don't think Rice will either, maybe closer to sixty or seveny million with add ons, which would still be a lot for a player with his role.

I think the media are hood winking people

Have you seen Rodri and kimmich play? Man City and bayern are not signing rice

Surprised arsenal are tbf, big difference in their style of play but to xhaka hasn't really worked so the change isn't necessarily detrimental

Said before for me if bayern signed him they'd play him CB, they're not changing the kimmich / goretzka CM for rice

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I get that. Yes, a lot more cups and titles, too. But I guess I just imagine how the reality of life playing for Arse vs. Spam might differ, and it just doesn't seem all that interesting a change. I still think it's an unexciting move for way too much money. But no doubt there are a hundred millions reasons why I'm wrong. 😉

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Never in their entire history. Finished 3rd once in the 80's. You would think they have about half a dozen league titles in the bag the way they're portrayed in the media.

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I get that. Yes, a lot more cups and titles, too. But I guess I just imagine how the reality of life playing for Arse vs. Spam might differ, and it just doesn't seem all that interesting a change. I still think it's an unexciting move for way too much money. But no doubt there are a hundred millions reasons why I'm wrong. 😉

makes no sense at all. Arsenal are a much bigger deal than London 6th highest placed team

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You're way wrong on this one, they are world's apart.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Chelsea will have 3 goalkeepers and no European football

That cost the best part of £200m 🤣

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just saw something where he said he’s happy at PSG and will be there next season

but his contract expires the end of next season and he can leave on a free. PSG want to sign him to an extension and if he doesn't they'll look to sell him this summer so as not to lose him on a free.

Very clever from Mbappe's camp releasing the info. He's controlling everything.