"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

14 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I can see myself using this a few times if it becomes open to lower Holte over time. I'm often trying to meet friends that have travelled and it's good to have a place to do that.

I don't think it'll ever be open to Lower Holte Enders, the access isn't there and you'd need to move to the Upper Holte for the games in which you used it.

I think if it's successful they'll look at something similar in the Holte Suite - although the Holte Suite is such a flexible hospitality space on non-matchdays that they won't want to put too much 'stuff' into it that might affect that, so I doubt it would get the full works.

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think this is bang on - the season ticket price - the big number of £480 plus cup games on top of your ticket price feels horrendous and I don't see many Upper Holte Enders wanting to take that up.

We might see some season ticket holders migrate from other parts of the ground I suppose - those paying £899 in the middle Trinity might I guess consider £1,180 with access to a lounge all season and the fun of the Upper Holte as a price worth paying. 

But where it comes into it's own is exactly where you've said - birthdays, special occasions, fans flying in from the States - it's a wonderful opportunity to experience the atmosphere of the Upper Holte End and get a really nice lounge with pub grub, drinks, seating and a view - and sure, you pay for that, but for a special occasion, you'll be happy to - if you're already paying flights and a hotel, you'll also be happy to - that's where this comes into its own - providing an option with fantastic memories and a great matchday experience for people on special days - it's amazing for that.

The club haven't (yet) marketed it as that and I think that's very much because of the desire not to upset existing Upper Holte Enders. This is being marketed as their lounge, but I think that the real point here is that the club is only expecting actual, existing Upper Holte Enders to take up a couple of hundred of these spaces on any given matchday - the rest will be for 'experiences' - some of those will come from season ticket holders in other parts of the ground - Lower Holte Enders on birthday missions, Trinity Road season ticket holders on an adventure, that sort of thing, but I think most will be members looking for a special day.

If I live in France and I can only get over for one game, I'm going to pay for flights, a hotel and buy lots of stuff in the club shop - in relation to the cost of making that trip, £25 for a membership, £45 for a ticket and £30 for my GA+ is still good value for that once in a lifetime afternoon with the 'proper' Villa boys in the Upper Holte.

If it's my brothers birthday and he hasn't been for a couple of seasons, it's a great day out he'll remember and a treat that still lets him have some grub and a peaceful pint in the style he's used to on a Friday night in Bromsgrove.

I think the issue here is that the club can't really focus on that hugely positive opportunity because for existing Upper Holte Enders, the reality for them is that they'll no longer have the McGregors, or any of the facilities on that floor, they won't have access to the balcony and they'll have less space on the concourses available to them and less options for food and drink, and that they might be sat next to a fella called Soren who doesn't know any of the songs rather than Ian who used to come three or four times a season and was sound and proper Villa mate.

The thing is though that Soren will be having the best day of his life, Soren will be making a memory that lasts him a lifetime and Soren will be spending £300 on matchday, for the club, even outside of the obvious spending increase, there are so many advantages to that - Soren will be a Villa fan forever, and as a result there's a chance that his mate Henrik will be because he gets dragged to the pub in Aarhus by Soren every week to watch the Villa and hear Soren tell tales of the famous, the famous Holte End. Soren and Henriks kids will end up being Villa fans, it's all gravy.

The facility opens up the option for great experiences for those who can afford it and want it - the only downside is that I'm not sure that those people are existing Upper Holte Enders - it's a pity in a way that this is the only place in the ground that has the space for it.

Agree with all of this.

Especially like the unexpected, yetentirely welcomed, Scandinavian twist half way through.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 3

I've been in Corporate seats at Chelsea. Padded type under those outdoor heaters.  Kind of a home facility really, when we scored and my host stood up and celebrated all heads turned on him. 

Anyway, the bar are was nothing special at all. Just like a normal concourse. I dread to think how much those seats cost though. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think this is bang on - the season ticket price - the big number of £480 plus cup games on top of your ticket price feels horrendous and I don't see many Upper Holte Enders wanting to take that up.

We might see some season ticket holders migrate from other parts of the ground I suppose - those paying £899 in the middle Trinity might I guess consider £1,180 with access to a lounge all season and the fun of the Upper Holte as a price worth paying. 

But where it comes into it's own is exactly where you've said - birthdays, special occasions, fans flying in from the States - it's a wonderful opportunity to experience the atmosphere of the Upper Holte End and get a really nice lounge with pub grub, drinks, seating and a view - and sure, you pay for that, but for a special occasion, you'll be happy to - if you're already paying flights and a hotel, you'll also be happy to - that's where this comes into its own - providing an option with fantastic memories and a great matchday experience for people on special days - it's amazing for that.

The club haven't (yet) marketed it as that and I think that's very much because of the desire not to upset existing Upper Holte Enders. This is being marketed as their lounge, but I think that the real point here is that the club is only expecting actual, existing Upper Holte Enders to take up a couple of hundred of these spaces on any given matchday - the rest will be for 'experiences' - some of those will come from season ticket holders in other parts of the ground - Lower Holte Enders on birthday missions, Trinity Road season ticket holders on an adventure, that sort of thing, but I think most will be members looking for a special day.

If I live in France and I can only get over for one game, I'm going to pay for flights, a hotel and buy lots of stuff in the club shop - in relation to the cost of making that trip, £25 for a membership, £45 for a ticket and £30 for my GA+ is still good value for that once in a lifetime afternoon with the 'proper' Villa boys in the Upper Holte.

If it's my brothers birthday and he hasn't been for a couple of seasons, it's a great day out he'll remember and a treat that still lets him have some grub and a peaceful pint in the style he's used to on a Friday night in Bromsgrove.

I think the issue here is that the club can't really focus on that hugely positive opportunity because for existing Upper Holte Enders, the reality for them is that they'll no longer have the McGregors, or any of the facilities on that floor, they won't have access to the balcony and they'll have less space on the concourses available to them and less options for food and drink, and that they might be sat next to a fella called Soren who doesn't know any of the songs rather than Ian who used to come three or four times a season and was sound and proper Villa mate.

The thing is though that Soren will be having the best day of his life, Soren will be making a memory that lasts him a lifetime and Soren will be spending £300 on matchday, for the club, even outside of the obvious spending increase, there are so many advantages to that - Soren will be a Villa fan forever, and as a result there's a chance that his mate Henrik will be because he gets dragged to the pub in Aarhus by Soren every week to watch the Villa and hear Soren tell tales of the famous, the famous Holte End. Soren and Henriks kids will end up being Villa fans, it's all gravy.

The facility opens up the option for great experiences for those who can afford it and want it - the only downside is that I'm not sure that those people are existing Upper Holte Enders - it's a pity in a way that this is the only place in the ground that has the space for it.

Yes - spot on this. I had a season ticket for a good few years before moving ever further South and [waves vaguely towards kids] all this took over weekends. My now infrequent visits up with offspring/dad are pretty big occasions - often for birthdays etc and the chance to soak up a bit of extra atmosphere in the ground would be worth the extra few quid.

I completely get that that is not everyone's match day experience or want though.

Edited by rubberman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I can see myself using this a few times if it becomes open to lower Holte over time. I'm often trying to meet friends that have travelled and it's good to have a place to do that.

Not convinced id always be paying £25 to stand outside though, especially in the winter.

Look at this guy with his friends and stuff

Makes me sick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My thoughts on this are that the club are trying to pitch this at the wealthier/gastro pub style crowd rather than those who go to the tavern, social, sacred heart, witton arms etc before games. I think the problem with this idea is that that 'pool' of fan so to speak will already be in one of the family stands or would prefer to go hospitality/corporate if they are with a group/via work, so is it a good trade off to reduce the concourse space by half to accomodate less than 10% (at best) each game? no way 1000 people pay £25 to use this.

just ditch the £25 entrance fee and get people in for £10 with a free beer, there will be loads of takers. But i think the people they are aiming this at will already have hospitality options or will want somewhere more intimate/quiet where they can chat, they will not want to mix with 1000 others and still have to que up and things like that.

• Like 2

One thought is, great if you get 2 pints that essentially makes the entrance price alone about £10-15 (if you actually want them). But then everyone has paid, so everyone wants them.

Is the space big enough to handle pouring 1,000 pints in 15 mins at half time. And not really 15 mins, but 2 mins, because people might want at least 15 mins to try and drink it. So why not just 2 drinks at any time, before or after the match?

I think I am more annoyed about this than the price hike. How is it possible to actually pay more and have a worse experience? The Upper Holte will be carnage next year. Less space to eat drink and, er, relive oneself, unless you want to pay £25 per game to have access to something we already have with a few extra tables. The survey was certainly not clear on that.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think the problem with this idea is that that 'pool' of fan so to speak will already be in one of the family stands or would prefer to go hospitality/corporate if they are with a group/via work, so is it a good trade off to reduce the concourse space by half to accomodate less than 10% (at best) each game? no way 1000 people pay £25 to use this.

One way or another, just over one in six of the people who are in the Upper Holte on matchdays will be people who have paid to use this area.

What happens when less than one in six of the existing Upper Holte Enders decide that they don't want to use this facility will be the interesting bit. Season ticket holders will be safe, but for anyone who attends in the Upper Holte on a match-by-match basis, I think it'll get really difficult to do without paying for GA+.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

What a great idea.

Sooo, I'm thinking.... If I tout my ST out say 6 games at £150 a game for an original match day experience. Henrik could have a proper match day. With a pick up at the hotel, few beers in town, a bit of slap and tickle with a a dirt bag, up to the Manor Tavern or a boozer of choice, have a couple more brews, glass smashing in the car park, followed by puking everywhere, then a wander through the beautiful streets of Aston. Then onto one of Astons finest shit burger stands for a beer soaker, bit of music outside the Trinity whilst seeing double and throwing up some more. A ticket for the game, and half time experience of someone pissing on your leg or spilling shit beer over you. Drop off back to the hotel after. Once in a lifetime experience imo. Everyone's a winner!  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What a great idea.

Sooo, I'm thinking.... If I tout my ST out say 6 games at £150 a game for an original match day experience. Henrik could have a proper match day. With a pick up at the hotel, few beers in town, a bit of slap and tickle with a a dirt bag, up to the Manor Tavern or a boozer of choice, have a couple more brews, glass smashing in the car park, followed by puking everywhere, then a wander through the beautiful streets of Aston. Then onto one of Astons finest shit burger stands for a beer soaker, bit of music outside the Trinity whilst seeing double and throwing up some more. A ticket for the game, and half time experience of someone pissing on your leg or spilling shit beer over you. Drop off back to the hotel after. Once in a lifetime experience imo. Everyone's a winner!  

I mean if you’re actually offering that experience, I might be up for it!  Sounds great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Just ditch the £25 entrance fee and get people in for £10 with a free beer, there will be loads of takers. But i think the people they are aiming this at will already have hospitality options or will want somewhere more intimate/quiet where they can chat, they will not want to mix with 1000 others and still have to que up and things like that.

Yep, I wouldn’t pay £10 extra for this if it was going to be just as busy as a normal concourse.

But I might pay £25 on the odd game for a nicer quieter experience - a cheaper version of hospitality if you can think of it like that.  The normal hospitality is way more expensive and is always pretty much sold out anyway.

• Like 1

One thing this offers that's different to hospitality is that when you get to your seat you can still scream whatever you like at the referee and not worry about Prince George overhearing. It's a nice mix of two very different experiences.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

A million miles from left side/right side, burn burn burn the bastard, your going to get your F***ing  heads kicked in/be dead by five o'clock and Knees up mother brown 

Do you remember years ago when the NHS ambulance drivers were on strike and the army were covering for them the Holte singing "you're going home in an army ambulance"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

One way or another, just over one in six of the people who are in the Upper Holte on matchdays will be people who have paid to use this area.

What happens when less than one in six of the existing Upper Holte Enders decide that they don't want to use this facility will be the interesting bit. Season ticket holders will be safe, but for anyone who attends in the Upper Holte on a match-by-match basis, I think it'll get really difficult to do without paying for GA+.

Thats the thing, i reckon it will be hard to get 1/6th of the upper holte in that place at those prices on a regular basis, particularly once the novelty has worn out. The space looks great though and im sure the powers that be will react to things if they see it isnt quite working, as people will definitely be interested in using the space provided it is reasonable and not a price gouge.

I think that we forgetting the fact that the bar will be called "Heineken 1874" or something, they will likely have a DJ, there will be evenings with Villa legends and maybe standup nights, small bands or something.

This will be a good revenue stream, and not only due to the number of beers sold and not only on match days.

It seems more on Twitter than here, (quelle surprise), but the negative reaction to this has surprised me. Even Max from Villa on Tour is kicking off about it!

Perhaps I've not analysed it in enough detail, but I'm not sure how this affects you if you don't want it. Season Ticket price increases are mandatory and contentious at best given the current financial climate, but this is optional! Your life can continue in the same way if you don't want to take part.

(I would wager the £25 entrance fee those moaning about it still want shiny signings of Brazilian wonderkids and a cheeky Messi / Martinez reunion - this helps pay for that).

Edited by Don_Simon

Â