Italy v England/England v Ukraine

andykeenan

Just when I thought I couldn’t give less f@!*s about the national team, Southgate goes and picks an utterly predictable and uninspiring bunch of players including a player under investigation for betting offences and a player under investigation for indecent exposure.. let alone the plethora of players who are bang out of form and hardly playing for their clubs. 

utter joke of a manager 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How March and Watkins haven’t been called up is nuts, the two most in form English players aren’t they?!

It's not 'nuts' at all, not even surprising. He's made clear through his actions, and increasingly through his words - very explicitly on the last page - that he picks the players he rates and isn't interested in form. And to be honest fair enough, picking on form is how come there's so many players with one England cap who got it between about 2009 and about 2018. He's looked at Watkins and Mings, and decided they aren't good enough. If we're honest, Solly March is the absolute classic example of a player who's on a hot run of form but isn't actually good enough to play international football. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

Tomori was excellent in both legs v Spurs. Had a decent run at Chelsea while Lampard was there, moves to Milan and starts pretty much every game as they win league and make CL QFs.

That's the most baffling omission of the squad (although Ollie is very unlucky not to be in considering it's supposed to be a new cycle).

Not like Eric Dier has even been that much of a regular, wasn't in the euros squad and only just got in to the world cup to be a filler so that's really really lazy even by Southgate standards.

Defeat in Naples and then a 1-1 at home to Ukraine and the natives will be getting pretty restless. Macedonia away will be tricky aswell so this isn't quite the usual walk in the park England qualifying group imo.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Defeat in Naples and then a 1-1 at home to Ukraine and the natives will be getting pretty restless. Macedonia away will be tricky aswell so this isn't quite the usual walk in the park England qualifying group imo.

Hopefully they don't qualify and we can get rid of this idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I hate Southgate being the England manager.

Take away penalties, Toney has scored 3 more goals than Watkins this season. Plus Watkins had to play under a complete moron for most of that time. Same number of assists. Oh and Toney is going to be banned - Southgate logic - I'll pick Toney.

And then not bother to play him anyway...

Didn't even make the bench last time did he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

Kalvin Phillips has played 56 mins of PL football all season, he could be the best player in the world there's still no **** way he's match fit.

But...

spacer.png

Phillips is a genuinely outrageous selection.

He probably has to pick Toney, Maguire makes some sense in the fact he’s captained the side and has played well for England - but Phillips is utterly baffling. 

• Like 1

The problem position is centre back, and yet Southgate has picked only one player, Guehi, who he's going to learn anything new about. He's overloaded on full backs again for some reason. 5 full backs for 2 games!?

Surely someone like Tomori needs to be in there?

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Phillips is a genuinely outrageous selection.

He probably has to pick Toney, Maguire makes some sense in the fact he’s captained the side and has played well for England - but Phillips is utterly baffling. 

Yeah, Phillips has been out of form for two full seasons now I think?

Only thing I'd say in Southgate's defence is it's not clear who the obvious pick is at DM after Rice. He must be hoping Phillips will get more game time next season and find some form before the Euros.

The options are all mediocre or terrible... JWP, Skipp, Reed... it's a really weak position for us if Rice gets injured.

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I hate Southgate being the England manager.

Take away penalties, Toney has scored 3 more goals than Watkins this season. Plus Watkins had to play under a complete moron for most of that time. Same number of assists. Oh and Toney is going to be banned - Southgate logic - I'll pick Toney.

There are lots to hate Southgate about, and the betting thing with Toney is strange. But you’ve admitted yourself, that Toney has more 3 more goals even outside of penalties (which I’m not sure why you’d remove those as you still have to score them, plus did you remove Watkins penalty?)

• Like 1

Midfield is such a jumble in that squad. The selection of Phillips is ridiculous, as is Henderson at 33. 
I can see media starting to turn in him if we lose the 2 games. Although some of the major outlets will still bark on about his “success” in tournaments 

43 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Midfield is such a jumble in that squad. The selection of Phillips is ridiculous, as is Henderson at 33. 
I can see media starting to turn in him if we lose the 2 games. Although some of the major outlets will still bark on about his “success” in tournaments 

I kind of understand the thinking with Henderson. Besides the defence + Kane, it’s a young squad, and an older head in the training camp, who is seen as a natural leader, makes some sense. Problem is Henderson has been on the decline for a while and that’s surely only going to get worse. I thought he played pretty well in the WC but I can’t see him offering a lot in the Euros.

But… it’s not as if there are loads of players coming through in that position who are kicking the door in. English football seems to be churning out tons of very good wingers / full backs / attacking mids, and then there’s a dearth of these “spine” players at CB / DM / CM / CF which used to be our strong suit.

Once you get past Stones / Rice / Bellingham / Kane, the quality through the spine of the team falls off a cliff. The complete reverse of the Gerrard / Lampard generation, when we were stacked at CB and CM.

• Like 3

Â