Italy v England/England v Ukraine

andykeenan

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Shilton was close but let England down at vital times. 

Shilton was poor. Great shot stopper in his day but poor aerial presence and a very poor spot kick keeper. I cannot remember him ever saving a pen at international level he was that slow moving. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Shilton was poor. Great shot stopper in his day but poor aerial presence and a very poor spot kick keeper. I cannot remember him ever saving a pen at international level he was that slow moving. 

He was an integral part of the Forest success though and Clough and Taylor rated him as the best. I think he was  great keeper but people remember him for the Poland mistake, The Maradonna hand ball goal and no pen saves against the Germans in 1990. He wasnt the tallest of keepers. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was an integral part of the Forest success though and Clough and Taylor rated him as the best. I think he was  great keeper but people remember him for the Poland mistake, The Maradonna hand ball goal and no pen saves against the Germans in 1990. He wasnt the tallest of keepers. 

He was slow asf too. As you said great keeper at club level but not at international level imo. England were pretty shocking during the 80's though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Seaman was also close to World Class in his day. 

Seaman was very good, but in the same period Italy have had Buffon, Pagliuca, Peruzzi, Toldo, Cudicini, and Donnarumma who I think would all have been England number 1 ahead of James, Robinson, Hart, Pickford.

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Everyone with a ounce of football knowledge knows that Kalvin Philips would be nowhere near this squad had he had 56 minutes of football and still played for Leeds.

There are hardly any players in the World that should be representing their national teams this weekend after playing 56 minutes for their club this season, regardless of which club that may be, and one of them is certainly not Kalvin **** Phillips.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

There are hardly any players in the World that should be representing their national teams this weekend after playing 56 minutes for their club this season, regardless of which club that may be, and one of them is certainly not Kalvin **** Phillips.

Some media slagging Mancini for having West Hams Scamacca in the team although he's played no minutes. But apparently its okay Southgate having Phillips in our team as he suits the tactics. You watch him start. 

54 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Some media slagging Mancini for having West Hams Scamacca in the team although he's played no minutes. But apparently its okay Southgate having Phillips in our team as he suits the tactics. You watch him start. 

The difference is mancini has also called up a 17 year old striker and a debutant

Southgate will play phillips and then sub him off for Henderson, learn absolutely nothing, develop nothing and both will be shit in a pointless exercise that will no doubt keep his record high but his ceiling low

• Like 2

Italy got all of Jorginho-Verrati-Barella in their squad still so it will be a similar game to the euros final. Bonnuci also still in defence so they'll remain tough to break down.

England have a terrible record v Italy compared to the other major nations, pretty sure it's just two friendly wins in the last 30 years and no wins in any competitive meetings in that time.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The difference is mancini has also called up a 17 year old striker and a debutant

Southgate will play phillips and then sub him off for Henderson, learn absolutely nothing, develop nothing and both will be shit in a pointless exercise that will no doubt keep his record high but his ceiling low

I doubt Phillips will play a minute. The only assumption I can have about his place in the squad that makes even a tiny bit of sense is that it's a kind of encouragement and gesture that GS still wants him around. But though I often assume the role of Southgate defender on this forum, Phillips is a daft selection for all the obvious reasons and I won't defend it. 

• Like 1

Phillips call up is just plain ridiculous. Southgate needs a result here  because his record against top nations is poor. He should try and win the match with the talent he has at his disposal but he still doesn't know his strongest side. Italy failed to qualify for the world cup. We should not fear them.

He does need a result, unfortunately the NL is a nothing competition so no one takes our relegation seriously but the performances were shit

He still manages to have easy tournament draws paper over more cracks than llewelyn bowen

He'll set us up to snatch a 1-0 win that Steve Bruce would be proud of

Make it out of the group, kane get another 8 goals vs Malta, go above Ramsey in the win percentage column again, get to the QFs in 2 years time and be told its better than what came before him rinse and repeat

All that said... We're stuck with him and the autumn games are where you have to judge him, integrate the u21s and push out the likes of Henderson

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Phillips hasn't started a single Premier League match this season and has played just 198 minutes across all competitions since joining Man City. He starts tonight

That's absolutely mental! But predictable from boregate.

He is going to ve blowing out of his ass come half-time, no way is he match fit.  

2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Phillips hasn't started a single Premier League match this season and has played just 198 minutes across all competitions since joining Man City. He starts tonight

This was nailed on, listening to the media today, they were gagging to slag Southgate about it, even his pal Stiart Pearce said he shouldn't really start. 

If this is not proof the media have been told not to be negative on Southgate,  I'm not sure what is.

• Like 1

Â