Giant Chinese Spy Balloon

maqroll

On 05/02/2023 at 13:02, Tegis said:

Colonel Farrah still knows how to get balloons down

824642-wings-windows-screenshot-colonel-

wings-11.png

wings_21.png

top marks for getting an Amiga game in  .. hard to imagine at the time those graphics were ground breaking !! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

The bruhaha developing over here regarding this is quite something. That the national (political)psyche can be bruised so easily must be so entertaining for many other nations. 

It's not just the States, you ought to have been in the UK during Brexit. It was like the country had a stroke. 

In my family personally there have been whole bunches of people who have not spoken to each other since 2016, and likely never will. 

On 06/02/2023 at 10:08, DeadlyDirk said:

I would have thought just putting a few machine gun rounds into the balloon part itself would give it a nice controlled descent. I am not a physicist or a scientist so I'm basing this opinion one GCSE physics from the 90's ;) 

6388187-L.jpg

• Haha 1

These type of balloons are commonly used to test prototype detector systems prior to space flight qualification and sometimes for experiments outright. In NASA land it is a little on the common side for these things to spring a leak and for an experiment that needed 10/20/60/90 days of flight data to end prematurely with the balloon coming down to the ground in who knows where on a slow/gentle timescale. Once of the reason for this was that the balloons were hand stitched and various other silliness as the balloon material is so lightweight and precious on the ground, and science money is limited vs DoD land.

Deliberately downing this slowly while in flight is much harder as the tear you would want (a single bullet etc might do the trick) is hard to get doing when the thing is at 70k feet. Among other things the balloon is travelling on the slow side whereas as mechanical things tend to be travelling quite fast and have never had any need for arming... a gun port opening would likely induce turbulence that would rip a supersonic airframe to shreds. 

They. could have tried firing missiles and detonating them far away and above it such that a piece of debris might fall on the balloon. They'd look right foolish though given how this was being recorded by the public. 

On 03/02/2023 at 06:14, AVFC_Hitz said:

Giant Chinese Spy Balloon 
Floating in the summer sky
Panic bells, it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else
The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
The Giant Chinese spy balloon goes by

This thread title now joins 'Gun crime in the USA' in having its own theme tune. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The aliens thing was a joke. Why are people even commenting on it?

Probably because the description of a silver cylindrical car-sized object with no obvious means of propulsion seems peculiar.

It wasn't at the same sort of altitude as the balloon though (12km I think) so I suppose it wouldn't need to be the sort of scale of the first balloon they shot down.

Â