Giant Chinese Spy Balloon

maqroll

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

This was the take I got from the defence analysist in a BBC article

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-64514120

I mean I guess that they can then, but I don't see how they would heat that much gas with a solar powered heater. Look how much heat hot air balloons have to dump into the envelope to ascend. 

1960: USSR announces it has developed a new ground to air missile capable of shooting down a U2 spy plane at high altitude. To prove it, they say they have indeed shot down a U2 that was taking photos over Russia.

The U.S. announces that in fact the Russians have shot down a piece of NASA weather hardware.

The USSR then produces the USAF pilot, they had forgotten to say had managed to eject and parachute out of the U2. As a gesture of goodwill, they have also developed the roll of film they have recovered. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I mean I guess that they can then, but I don't see how they would heat that much gas with a solar powered heater. Look how much heat hot air balloons have to dump into the envelope to ascend. 

None of us are aware of the technical specifications of the balloon system, but it absolutely is possible to raise or lower altitude via a number of different methods.

I don't want to be patronising, but if you decrease the mass you ascend, if you decrease the upward force (e.g. by releasing helium, say, from the balloon you will descend - two valves plus control circuitry...)

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't want to be patronising, but if you decrease the mass you ascend, if you decrease the upward force (e.g. by releasing helium, say, from the balloon you will descend - two valves plus control circuitry...)

But as far as I understand, you can't recover mass once it's released (ie ballast) and the mass of helium is the same compressed in a tank as held in a balloon. They seem to have done it somehow, but control over 2000+ miles of flight without heating the gas (changing density) or having another means of propultion must be very difficult. 

When the Japanese did this in WWII it was so inaccurate they barely hit the right continent. 

13 hours ago, HKP90 said:

But as far as I understand, you can't recover mass once it's released (ie ballast) and the mass of helium is the same compressed in a tank as held in a balloon. They seem to have done it somehow, but control over 2000+ miles of flight without heating the gas (changing density) or having another means of propultion must be very difficult. 

When the Japanese did this in WWII it was so inaccurate they barely hit the right continent. 

The gas in a tank is compressed and has high density. Gas released from the tank into the balloon has low density. A full gas tank and an empty balloon will lie on the ground, all heavy n’that.  Inflate the balloon with gas from the tank and all that lighter than air helium, or hydrogen, in the balloon exerts an upward force and…up, up and away.

Â